Hoof Problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellas Babies

Reaction score
I noticed Lady our pregnant mare was holding her back left hoof up (first pict). I went straight to her and checked it and saw nothing
default_unsure.png
I checked the front one and found tenderness and it began to bleed (second picture) What has caused this and what should I do.. We cleaned it well and sprayed it with some spray we have. Thanks for any info and advice!

100_0633.JPG

100_0635.JPG

Its possible its a puncture wound. She may have stepped on something and punctured her frog, at least it looks like the frog.

It's probably a puncture wound. Bleeding is good for those because it helps clean it out. If you have a 3cc syringe I would poke one into the wound filled with iodine. Do it aggressively for about 3 days twice a day and then continue the process without "poking" into the wound for a few more days after. If you can, keep her on a rubber matted area or a grassy place (even if the grass is dead.)

You may want a vet or farrier to check it in a few days because it could abscess if it's a puncture and/or if she spends any time in the dirt. She will definitely let you know if it's healing, so watch how she's using that foot.

Oh, and if it is a puncture wound, I'd look around the paddock or field she's in for the possible culprit.
default_smile.png

First picture to me just looks like shes standing in a resting position. Second picture I would also guess a puncture wound, iodine treatments.

Be sure she is up to date on her tetanus shot as well! An epsom salts soak or a product called ichthemol(sp) works great on punctures like this to draw any infection out.

Punture wound for sure I'd say. Soak with epsom salts and I'd also wrap the foot so no dirt gets in while it's healing.

Cleaning and wrapping definitely. We had one puncture the front of her hoof (think tiny cookie cutter). The vets packed it with iodine and sugar. Apparently it helps draw out infection. I've never tried it myself though. Tetanus update most definitely with a puncture wound.

If you decide to wrap it, electrical tape works the best, Keeps the dirt out, and stays in place.

Latest posts

Back