Hoof cleaning cooperation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockysticksfeatherfarm

Reaction score
I am hoping not to get lectured but get advice : ) I am admitadly green! Our yearling colt isn't cooperating for us to pick his hoves, I know it has got to get done so he doesn't get thrush. We have had lots of rain and I am worried with the muddy wet conditions that's what is going to happen if we don't get his hooves cleaned well. We tie him up tight and close to the post. He lifts his foot ok and we have been working with him getting him used to us touching his feet and lifting. When I start picking he does fin for a little bit (front feet) then starts jumping and rearing... A lot more than I think he could with one foot being held. I try to wait for him to settle before I let his foot go so be doesn't think that behavior will work but he starts swinging around and acting like a fool. I am hoping he isn't already in pain or something (we have only had him 3 days) when I let his foot go he paws at the ground but also at the post, maybe trying to get free? I really appreciate any sound advice from the experts! We are new and he is young, I think he might be testing us. I have tried off and on over the last few days I get a little mud out and he starts being goofy : / I want to get the clean ASAP, the mud is sticky so it's not easy to scrape, it takes more time than if it where dry.

Slow and steady. Stand off to his side(never stand in front of a horse-should they rear or strike out you can get very hurt).Start by taking your hand and rubbing down his legs(example place your hand on his chest and slowly rub down his leg-front & back and talk to him as you do this.) Then do this to each leg. That would be a lesson for a day. He is young and just like a young child they have a short attention span-hence the pawing you are speaking of. Also everyday tie him and let him stand a few minutes and extend it a bit each day-I call this learning patience.(Very important) By rushing he is picking up on your anxiety and that also maybe some of the behavior you are talking about. As the days go on add a tad more-example-rub down his leg and then try to pick up his hoof-don't pick it up to high, most horses don't like that. When grooming him take the brush and brush on his hooves. If he reponds well then add a new step each day.

Trying not to lecture but since he is a yearling and a stud colt(still in tact) he may also have hormones kicking in and these will only get stronger...I would seriously have him gelded as soon as possible.

One more piece of advise...if you can find someone near you with horses that would be willing to mentor that would be a good idea also. If you could possibly find a miniature horse club in your area and see if someone would be interested in doing something like that. I would love to help someone like yourself learn the basics of horse care and give pointers. Good luck and remember patience, slow and steady and always try to end your teaching on a positive note. Also if you could find books on horse care or videos may be helpful.

I hope you understand what I typed sometimes I know what I want to say but it just doesn't come out typed as well...Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
He's probably still figuring you guys out, if you have just had him for 3 days. The key is to pick a foot up and hold it for a bit, (ideally before they start to fight) then let it go, Try to so this in short sessions, 5 seconds, then when he's ok with that 10 seconds, etc. You are doing right by not letting him jerk it away from you though. You might give him a 'smidge' more slack in his lead rope also, where he can get comfortable to stand, rather than snubbing him up tight against the post. Don't get it so long he'll get a foot over it if he rears up though, but try a little extra. Maybe these tips will help a bit, and I know it's wet and muddy and you're worried about thrush, but don't get anal about it just yet. Let him get used to you and his new digs and having his feet picked up first, going a day or two, between picking his feet out won't kill him.

The pawing is just him being impatient, as in he's tired of being tied there, and being messed with. Good way to fix that is let him have some good tied up time, and learn that no matter how big a fit he throws, or how much he paws it's not going to get him let loose any faster.

Have someone hold his same side hind when doing the front...etc. and give him a whack on his chest with a crop he does step out of line; this is the time to teach manners. Scare the crap out of him if you need to. He'll think twice next time. I had a 3year old, 16.2h Oldenburg that used to threaten to kick you when you picked up a hind leg. Two weeks out of quarantine, from Germany, he tried that twice and was a complete angel after a severe "correction"; no one wants to get kicked in the face by a mini, let alone a HUGE baby with corks on his hind shoes lol

Thanks! I have scouring you tube. My daughter is enrolled in mini horse classes but won't start until Feb. I think I am just paranoid about him developing problems. I did work with him a while with my daughter being slow and he did start to cooperate more. You are probably right about him sensing my anxiety to get him clean. He will be gelded very soon, he was born in April 2011. If it is hormones hopefully we will be nipping that in the bud ; ) he is well behaved if we are brushing him all over and down his legs. I think being tied tight gets him upset at the get go. Ideally, how long does it take for thrush to start? I even thought if I could get him in the dogs baby pool to stand in the water and loosen the dirt! It was in the 70s today so I did hose down his legs some, he really didn't appreciate that. So we will just keep trying and try not to over do it, like a toddler or dog short sessions, thanks!

Short lessons. I would lift his foot, then ask him to set it down before he jerks it away. You have controlled the situation, even for a second or two.

Try doing some bending/stretching excercises, bending the leg up, wiggling a little. Stroking.

The closer you are to him the less able he is to hurt you.

Try tying him for a few minutes twice a day while you are working around the area. Being tied is so important.

But, you might try working on his feet if he is just haltered, not tied. Just a second or two is enough at first.

(As a yearling, he should have had his feet done before.)

I think an effective correction is backing. If you work while he is simply haltered, and he rears, MAKE him back up. Get fierce. Wave your arms, stamp your feet, yell. Make him back up. Everytime he rears, make him back. Do it quickly. Make the consequences of his bad action immediate.

He's a silly baby, but he can hurt you. Backing out of your space is a good lesson in knowing who's the herd boss.

We had the same problem with diva.

It takes time.

Rub his leggs

And praise every time he let's you.

It use to take us an hour to do just 2 feet.

If he get figity just let his foot down for awhile.

And work on another one

Rub shoulder praise.

Rub to knee praise

Touch hoof

Praise

Pick up hoof and put back down

Praise

Pick up hoof and pick a little

Praise

It takes a lot of time and patients .

We still do this with divas back feet sometimes

After only 2 months we can do all her feet

Sometimes not as fast as we would like

But oh well she is worth it.

Don't give up he will get there.

Most important, relax and don't stress about thrush. It really doesn't start all that quickly, or even that easily. I can assure you that there are many, many horses who don't get their feet cleaned daily--lots who don't get their feet cleaned between trims!--and even in some muddy conditions they don't get thrush. Mud won't do much harm to healthy feet--if the horse is standing in filthy conditions (in manure or a mud/manure mixture and/or his feet are neglected by way of being long overdue for trimming--the hoof maybe fills in, the frog gets overgrown, the grooves get very deep and covered over by excess sole/frog...then you're likely to see some thrush. Your little guy will almost certainly be fine even if you don't get his feet well cleaned out for the next 2 or 3 weeks.

[i’ve reread the forum rules about advertising and am about to make a specific product recommendation (probably to the point of raving abit), but I’m not selling this product and I have absolutely no clue as to who the author is, so I think its o.k.]

I think the classes are a great idea. Last summer/fall while the weather was good, I had a trainer that would come here and work with me and the horses. She helped me a lot. We would go step-by-step through things and just having someone watch me and tell me what I was doing wrong helped. But inevitably, as soon as she left, a horse would do something differently, and I’d be scratching my head thinking: Great what do I do now?

Have you thought about getting any books to help you? When I started I read here at the forum and on the internet, but the problem for me was that gave me a lot of information presented kind of willy-nilly in bits and pieces. My brain doesn’t work like that; I need structured information that starts at the beginning with the really simple stuff and progresses onward in a logical progression.

This isn’t meant to be a lecture (I’m way too analytical so bear with me) but I think the question you ask is tough for other people to answer in a forum. In short, you are asking how to pick up feet and mention that he is resisting by jumping and rearing. Well that brings up a whole bunch of background stuff before you even pick up the feet. For example, you say he’s tied tight and rearing... that raises questions like, is he tied correctly? Lead too long, too short, quick release knot in case things go wrong, etc. Heck, for that matter, how do you tie a quick release knot? (I practiced on a coffee table leg for the longest time. I’m an ex-sailor so you’d think I could tie a stupid knot, but that knot kicked my ‘you-know-what’ for awhile.)

As a beginner and to solve a specific problem without getting lost in various training methods and theories, I really like 101 Ground Training Exercises for every Horse & Handler; author: Cherry Hill. At Amazon you can “peek inside” and see the Table of Contents. I especially like this book because many ‘big horse’ training books have limited content on ground work and then focus on things that I can’t do with my minis, like riding. Most of this book addresses things that I can do with a mini, and coverage of the really basic things is all in there.

With the exception of a dozen or so introductory pages, the book consists of short exercises. So for your problem, I could flip to the section on Picking Up Feet and in 2 pages are: The equipment I’ll need and 10 step-by-steps on how to do it. There’s also some Key Points that explain further; there’s Common Problems and what to do that explain, for example, what to do if the horse kicks; it also refers me to other sections that go hand-in-hand with this section (if that makes sense; for example, it refers me to the Standing Still section which has how to tie the horse, including step-by-step pictures on how to tie that darn knot.) The exercises are grouped by relevancy, but you’re not faced with a big daunting book where you feel like you have to work through it start to finish and you can pick and choose what you want to do and when. For example, there’s a section Picking Up Foot with Rope. I wouldn’t even try that right now; I can see where I might want to do that by reading the Purpose part of the exercise, but for me at my level I can picture a big muddle of me and horse and rope that wouldn’t end well.

These exercises worked really well for Baby. When she was born I already had a feisty stallion and a Craigs-List mare that my husband was calling voodoo child. I was terrified that I would “ruin” Baby by doing things wrong; all I needed was a problem horse that behaved like the mare. But in the first few weeks we could touch Baby everywhere, clean her ears, boobies, etc., pick up feet and, etc. Going step-by-step, haltering was a breeze; took me longer to find a halter that fit than it took to put it on her. The first time leading (trainer supervised) she walked right with me; trainer had explained rump rope, but we didn’t even have to use it.

This book isn’t going to solve all your problems. For example, I’m still stuck on the first few sections with the mare but she came to us “screwed-up.” ...anyway, if you’re into using books this one is working really well for me.

[i’ve reread the forum rules about advertising and am about to make a specific product recommendation (probably to the point of raving abit), but I’m not selling this product and I have absolutely no clue as to who the author is, so I think its o.k.]

I think the classes are a great idea. Last summer/fall while the weather was good, I had a trainer that would come here and work with me and the horses. She helped me a lot. We would go step-by-step through things and just having someone watch me and tell me what I was doing wrong helped. But inevitably, as soon as she left, a horse would do something differently, and I’d be scratching my head thinking: Great what do I do now?

Have you thought about getting any books to help you? When I started I read here at the forum and on the internet, but the problem for me was that gave me a lot of information presented kind of willy-nilly in bits and pieces. My brain doesn’t work like that; I need structured information that starts at the beginning with the really simple stuff and progresses onward in a logical progression.

This isn’t meant to be a lecture (I’m way too analytical so bear with me) but I think the question you ask is tough for other people to answer in a forum. In short, you are asking how to pick up feet and mention that he is resisting by jumping and rearing. Well that brings up a whole bunch of background stuff before you even pick up the feet. For example, you say he’s tied tight and rearing... that raises questions like, is he tied correctly? Lead too long, too short, quick release knot in case things go wrong, etc. Heck, for that matter, how do you tie a quick release knot? (I practiced on a coffee table leg for the longest time. I’m an ex-sailor so you’d think I could tie a stupid knot, but that knot kicked my ‘you-know-what’ for awhile.)

As a beginner and to solve a specific problem without getting lost in various training methods and theories, I really like 101 Ground Training Exercises for every Horse & Handler; author: Cherry Hill. At Amazon you can “peek inside” and see the Table of Contents. I especially like this book because many ‘big horse’ training books have limited content on ground work and then focus on things that I can’t do with my minis, like riding. Most of this book addresses things that I can do with a mini, and coverage of the really basic things is all in there.

With the exception of a dozen or so introductory pages, the book consists of short exercises. So for your problem, I could flip to the section on Picking Up Feet and in 2 pages are: The equipment I’ll need and 10 step-by-steps on how to do it. There’s also some Key Points that explain further; there’s Common Problems and what to do that explain, for example, what to do if the horse kicks; it also refers me to other sections that go hand-in-hand with this section (if that makes sense; for example, it refers me to the Standing Still section which has how to tie the horse, including step-by-step pictures on how to tie that darn knot.) The exercises are grouped by relevancy, but you’re not faced with a big daunting book where you feel like you have to work through it start to finish and you can pick and choose what you want to do and when. For example, there’s a section Picking Up Foot with Rope. I wouldn’t even try that right now; I can see where I might want to do that by reading the Purpose part of the exercise, but for me at my level I can picture a big muddle of me and horse and rope that wouldn’t end well.

These exercises worked really well for Baby. When she was born I already had a feisty stallion and a Craigs-List mare that my husband was calling voodoo child. I was terrified that I would “ruin” Baby by doing things wrong; all I needed was a problem horse that behaved like the mare. But in the first few weeks we could touch Baby everywhere, clean her ears, boobies, etc., pick up feet and, etc. Going step-by-step, haltering was a breeze; took me longer to find a halter that fit than it took to put it on her. The first time leading (trainer supervised) she walked right with me; trainer had explained rump rope, but we didn’t even have to use it.

This book isn’t going to solve all your problems. For example, I’m still stuck on the first few sections with the mare but she came to us “screwed-up.” ...anyway, if you’re into using books this one is working really well for me.
EXCELLENT info!!

You've already gotten some great advice.

Like you, I was *so* green when we first started. One thing that helped us with our first weaningly (she was 10 months at the time) was for my husband to start off the hoof cleaning. He had less fear of getting hurt (yes, I was afraid of a 29" 120lb horse!) and had more strength. This meant he was able to hold on to the hoof he was working on, so the horse gave up before he did. He simply held firm and let her throw her hissy fit. Once she figured out he wan't letting go, or better yet, would let go once she quieted down again, she started standing still for the few seconds up to a minute or so that it took to clean out her hoof. Once he got her learning this lesson, I was able to take over.

With our next weanling, I was more comfortable with the whole proces and was able to manage it on my own.

Our routine is a bit different. If they fuss we don't let go- ever. They can flail and pull and rear and we don't let go. We even had them fall to the ground and if humanly possible, we still don't let go. If they rear, we hold them up.

Yes, it can be a bit difficult sometimes... we'd had no problems the first time we trimmed a rescue mare's feet, I held her and Jane trimmed her. The second time, I was at work, so Jane tied her. She picked up a front foot... the mare reared and hit Jane in the head, breaking her nose! She hadn't expected it (she'd been an angel the first trim) and thus wasn't able to get out of the way!

This may sound like a crazy idea, but it worked for me!

I fought with my horse (then stallion) for the longest time with his hooves.

After you take him on a long walk, have someone else hold his leadrope (don't tie him) and see if you can lift his feet up by running your hand all the way down his leg. If you tie him up all the time he will associate being tied with "something I don't like is going to happen". This worked for me, I hope it works for you!

As a beginner and to solve a specific problem without getting lost in various training methods and theories, I really like 101 Ground Training Exercises for every Horse & Handler; author: Cherry Hill.
This sounds like exactly the book I need - thank you so much for taking the time to give such helpful advice AngC
default_smile.png

Update: Just ordered it from Amazon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great! I am def going to look for that book! There are so many out there and it's hard to know which knew to get, like you I tried online and its to much random information it overwhelming. And it is hard to find horse books that aren't gears toward riding. Thanks everyone! He is being a stinker, as soon as I have him tied he starts rubbing on the post. And I am still trying to get the right way to tie!

Latest posts

Back