Honeymoon update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
All things being equal, we decided that although hubby has been laid off (as of the 24th of this month) we are still going ahead with our Alaska cruise. If we don't go now, we never will. We're just being careful with what we spend. We're going on Norwegian Cruise Line which has "casual" dining so we don't have to buy any fancy clothes. (thank goodness) But we did go out and get four pairs of new jeans, each. Mine were a real deal. Apparantly, the no one likes the really dark blue jeans so Wal-Mart had theirs on sale for $9.00. That's a bargain in itself but when they rang up, they were only $5.00. I didn't even have to think about that. Sign me up. I bought all they had in my size.......three of them. Then I bought a nice pair of tan jeans just for something different and had to pay full price for them. What??? LOL We can wear jeans in any of the dining rooms at any time. And meals are open seating so we can eat at any time of the day, even in the fancy sit down dining rooms.

We looked at all the shore excursions and picked one. I figure the rest of the stops we'll just get off the ship and walk the towns. I believe they are small enough to see a lot on foot. And gosh, you could spend a fortune on the shore excursions. Depends on what you want to do. We'll be taking the scenic drive in Skagway by van. The reviews were really great.

So I'm really nervous about spending the money but we're going to go.

And, just to make life interesting....did anyone else hear that there is a volcano erupting in Alaska now???? What???? Come on. Really?

Sigh, sometimes I think I just can't win.

You guys are going to have so much fun! I'm glad that you are keeping the plans, this will be the vacation of a lifetime.
default_smile.png

I'm SO glad you're going to go!!!! This is your life, go for the gusto!!!

I hope you'll take plenty of pics to share with us here!

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

I hope you have a wonderful time. I have many friends who have gone on the Alaskan cruise and they loved it
default_smile.png

Good for both of you! Y'all are going to have such a great time! I am so happy for you both!

Lois

Pre horses I was very fortunate and was able to take lots of cruises ( living in Fl. it was just a couple hours to the ports and never had to worry about flights actually to the ports ) Very inexpensive...think I have taken at least 12 3 day cruises to no where and maybe the Keys....but most of those were 129.00 cruises for 3 days 2 nights...they had really great deals in the summer or off season here in Fl. Never once did we go to the formal dinners...like you...loved just the casual cafeteria places and never got dressed up. You are going to love the cruise..just close your eyes and relax and enjoy the one you love!! Its the excursions that get pricey..even when we took longer cruises we would grab a cab and just ask the driver to take us for for interresting drive away from the "tourists" If I ever get a horse sitter the Alaska cruise would be the one I'd like to take...have a blast and get us some great pictures Happy Anniversary and Honeymoon!!!

What's wrong with jeans? ...perfectly acceptable attire if done right!!!

I just have to make one mini-comment:

I personally don't understand the fascination of going on cruises, especially when I see those huge things on TV that have been running aground and having various other problems. Why on earth would anyone spend perfectly good money to head out to sea stacked up like kindling wood and waiting in line for everything?

I admit, that my opinion is colored by the fact that I spent way too many years cruising around on military aircraft carriers (where admittedly the conditions are probably less posh; but on the other hand everybody's trained to handle emergencies.) Knowing what could go wrong, I just really cannot picture myself stepping aboard one of those civilian things.

Here is why a cruise is good for me. Every day of my life, even though I don't "work" anymore, I still work. I do clothes, dishes, animals (lots of animals), in fact, I work harder now that I'm retired than I worked when I was working. My idea of a vacation is having someone do EVERYTHING. If I want a cup of coffee, I'll ring my stewart and he'll bring me one. I get to sit on a deck chair (oh wait.....it's Alaska and cold, so I'll be on a chair next to the window) and read a book while I relax to music from one of the bands. I can eat whenever I want, whatever I want. But most of all, I just get to do NOTHING. Don't have to drive, don't have to make the bed, make coffee, wash the mugs, just relax. And there is entertainment pretty much 24 hours a day. Plus, the world (well, Alaska anyway) comes right by my window. I'll get to see some pretty spectacular sights from my room, if I want. I can just sit on my private balcony, if I want, and have meals brought to me. I don't want to have to do anything but relax. Since our ship is a smaller one, I don't think we'll be overcrowded, and timing is everything. We board on the 27th of this month. Hopefully we'll miss most of the kiddos as school will have just let out for the summer.

Really, though, I'm not a big overeater so the food isn't the big thing on a cruise for us. Nor do we drink or gamble. So that isn't appealing. What is appealing......no TV, no phone, no chores, none of the countless things we must do every day on a farm. We'll get to sit, together, and rediscover why we fell in love all those years ago. No driving, no making reservations at hotels, no different hotel every night. Even though we are together 24/7 now, we are so busy doing our respective chores that we don't get to talk during the day. Then at night, we're so tired that we sit on the sofa like a bunch of zombies. We are looking forward to meeting new people, seeing new places and literally having the places come to us, instead of us having to go to them.

Cruises have what we like most....they'll have a different show every night, typically two shows. There are always fun activities going on during the day. And then there is the scenery. If it's a cattle call for meals, so be it. We'll try one of the other restaurants. There are several on board.

As far as an emergency on board....heck, we were here and had a terrible emergency. A roll over truck accident where hubby broke his neck! If we can handle that, pretty much we can handle anything that could happen on board (although I did see that two people on a cruise were reported missing in Australia when the ship docked and it is presumed they "fell" overboard.) It's like anything else, if you worry about your plane crashing, you'll never fly. Nope, we've made our decision. This will be our once in a lifetime vacation - for better or for worse (sorta like our marriage LOL).

I hear ya Dixie Belle, I love the fact that you dont have to do a single darn thing except relax!! Love reading the enjoyment in you....have a blast and make another connection w/hubby!! Alaska will be lovely!!

I’m sorry, dixie_belle; I re-read what I wrote and realized that it sounded negative. I did not mean to; and reflecting back, I guess there were some times ashore that were pretty good (they were just few and far between.)

But, I truly hope that you have a wonderful time.

Latest posts

Back