~ Home sweet Home ~

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
OK, Bailey has a gorgeous little walk in shelter/stable. It is complete luxury. He does go inside it, but at this point, not to sleep. I feed him inside the shelter most days. I was hoping he would take some shelter from the heavy rain we had 2 nights ago, but he insisted on standing out in it. :eek: I'm not too concerned about that as I know a lot of horses do this.

Now, I will tell you what he DOES use it for. ~TOILET!~ Yep, toilet. It's just an elaborate bathroom for him! :eek:

We have put pine shavings down on the floor for him. He walked in, noticed them and started pawing them and nuzzling his nose through them. I actually thought he was going to roll in them...he had that look on his face like he was about to. But no....he now thinks that the stable/shelter is just a fancy bathroom.

He ate his dinner in there earlier, and did the same thing again. This time pee and poo! And then he just walks out.

Is this normal for people who have walk in shelters? Can we train him some how not to do this? I know that if he was locked up in there all day or night he would have to go, but this is just a walk in shelter, no door to lock him in.

Gee, my bathroom isn't even as fancy as that! :no:

This is perfectly normal behaviour- he is just marking his territory and the cleaner you make it the more he will mark.

Let it get a bit dirty and put some clean shavings outside- he will then start marking the clean shavings.

If you have access to a mare or even another entire, get some fresh droppings and put them in one corner. This will encourage him to go in one corner only.

I have to tell you my shelter fell down from lack of use- the Arabs used it in summer to get out of the flies but you would not have got the Minis in there with a block and tackle.

:bgrin when my crew hears me latching the outside door open - everyone goes pee in the stalls and darndst thing happens as I am cleaning there stalls I can bet at least one will come running in and poop in one of the clean stalls and out the door they go running again
default_rolleyes.gif
: :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, well it sounds as if I'm going to have to accept it then!

I'll try the suggestions Rabbit made. No poop or pee in there this morning, but then again, I don't think he has been in there. He spent another night outdoors.

Anyone else want to share similar stories....just to make me feel like I'm not the only one!!!?
default_wacko.png
:

Oh your'e not the only one we have two coming 3 yr old mares who share one side of a small barn and they for the longest time only used the barn as a bathroom. I did what others suggested and put shavings outside and after about 7 months they finally do use the paddock area but it was funny to see them come running from the farthest point in the paddock to use their barn as a bathroom.

backwoodsnanny Posted Today, 09:48 AM
Oh your'e not the only one we have two coming 3 yr old mares who share one side of a small barn and they for the longest time only used the barn as a bathroom. I did what others suggested and put shavings outside and after about 7 months they finally do use the paddock area but it was funny to see them come running from the farthest point in the paddock to use their barn as a bathroom.
That is too funny!! :new_rofl: :new_rofl: :new_rofl: :new_rofl:

I have only 3 minis. 1 mare, a weanling colt and a gelding. I am recovering from major surgery and can't go see how they are doing now but when I was cleaning the barns before surgery, it was unbelievable how they would HAVE to get in there while I was cleaning just to poop and then they'd leave. The gelding is the only one who goes to one spot outside and poops but he doesn't care where he pee's. The other 2 use the barn, and if I don't get to it soon enough, it gets too messy for them and then they are 'forced' to go out side instead, poor things.
default_wacko.png
: From what I've heard from other mini owners around here, it's the same with them. VERY normal behavior! The only thing that I've done is lock them out during nice weather during the day and open it up in the evening. That way it minimizes the amount to clean up. But I have a lot of trees that they can get under outside for shade or whatever if I do leave while they're out.

I think a lot of us spoil our minis, but what the heck, if we can, why not! They are worth it :bgrin

looney2n

I think that it is not just because it is clean. For them it is just a little more homey with a little pee and poo laying around
default_wink.png
: Our horses are out all day, but we do have a couple who get put up at night in a stall and run since they for some reason or other are kept out of the barn
default_rolleyes.gif
: If you will notice I said stall and run above, they can go outside to do their business, but every time we open the stall for them to go in, after being out all day, they do not go to the run but stand right there in front of me and pee before they even turn around and look at me! :new_shocked: <<shrug>> So I have come to the conclusion it is just better like that for them.
default_yes.gif
: And I live with it happily.
default_wacko.png
:

Latest posts

Back