Home Remities??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNR

Reaction score
Anyone have any remities for FLEAS?? We have used everything we could buy or find for the fleas and we still have the problem! We have sprayed and cleaned and done every thing we can think of!

If any one has any ideas that would be GREAT!!

Well depends......want natural (or more natural) you can feed the animals brewers yeast and garlic (makes them less tasty) and you can dust the animals and your carpets with diatomaceous (sp) earth.......

I will take a chemical approach when they get bad........first all animals and kids out of house then I set off ZODIAC flea bombs.........while those are doing their thing I give all animals a flea bath followed by an advantix treatment......that usually does the trick...then I can go back to the more natural repellent type remedies.......I try to use the advantix before we have a serious outbreak and then continue through flea season....then I quit using it as soon as it is too hot and dry or to cold for fleas........

THanks!

We have used the flea bombs

Used flea tretmet in the carpet cleaner and the bedding! We have done the yard! We have done the dogs!

I will try to the yeast and garlic! I am afriad that all the chemiclas are going to make my dogs sick! Our Poor Poodle is only 3lbs and she is the worst! I have broken down to giving her a bath in baby shapoo every other day it is sort of working!

Any other ideas will help

The key to break the flea cycle is to keep repeating the treatment. We have never had fleas until this years drought. I spray every week course I do not have carpet, I use the spot stuff on the dogs. Soon the frost will come and kill the beggers off. If you can find "pennyroyal" oil at a wegmans or walmart put it on a neckerchief and tied on animals or even humans. Fleas hate it and it smells very nice.

Here's a goodie. The green (and only green) palmolive dish detergent KILLS them faster than any flea shampoo I have ever seen. I have used it on my dogs with no trouble.

QUEEN OF FLEAS AT YOUR SERVICE...........VARRRRRROOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!

This is an old home remedy and still works! OIL OF WINTERGREEN

It comes in a tiny bottle like from the drug store or pharmacy section. You put some in a little shot glass in the corners of your room and the fleas will jump in it and croak. Don't ask me why.

I also heard that Dawn dish detergent and White Rain shampoo will kill fleas on the dogs. Not sure though, I use ADAMS products for that and ADAMS works on contact.

I do then bomb the house and it is key to do it every ten days and clobber the cycle like Debi says.

WARNING...do not use pennyroyal on cats........and never use it on yourself or any animal that is pregnant......it is an abortificant.......but it does smell great
wink.gif

new_shocked.gif
Be czreful with pennyroyal if you have cats it dan kill them.

RNR said:
THanks! We have used the flea bombs

Used flea tretmet in the carpet cleaner and the bedding! We have done the yard! We have done the dogs!

I will try to the yeast and garlic! I am afriad that all the chemiclas are going to make my dogs sick! Our Poor Poodle is only 3lbs and she is the worst! I have broken down to giving her a bath in baby shapoo every other day it is sort of working!

Any other ideas will help

472331[/snapback]

Mountain_waif

I never thogut about Guines! Now I have a reson to bring home another animal!!!!

RNR

you need to get some frontline for the dogs, and use it every two weeks for the first month then use it monthly, and you will break the cycle.

The problem that i think you are running into is that even if you kill the ones on the dogs there are still eggs in the envoronment or the other way around.

What kind od premise spray did you use?? Virbac makes "knockout" spray and it is very effective.

good luck!

Hi Becky,

We use something that leaves your dog & your home chemical and odor free, and flea free as well.
yes.gif

We got ours at the local Tractor Supply Store. It's an electrical device that you plug into a regular wall plug outlet. Just like if it was a "Glade Plug In" air freshener. Only, there is no scent emitted into the air, but rather a high intensity "sonic sound".

At least that's what the wrapper box says that it does.
smile.gif
We had a very bad flea problem when we first moved here, and tried all kinds of house and carpet sprays, and nothing worked. Our first two summers here were miserable, LOL. Then about 3 years ago, we got this sonic plug in. It doesn't kill then, but does DEFINATELY deter them.

Since you have them now, like we did, first you have to take care of the source. Marty's suggestions are very good ones for bathing the dogs with. We use Dawn Dish Detergent, mild on their skin, but kills the live fleas right off. Simultaneously, plug in those sonic plug ins right off too.

Keep then bathed regularly, as you normally would. The sonic plug ins take care of the rest. Any eggs that were laid beforehand may still hatch, but THEY LEAVE, and do not stick around their short period to maturity where they inturn lay and hatch more.

On the box, there are charts for however large the square footage your home/rooms are, that will determine the size of the plug in box needed. For severely infestations, they may recommend that you use a fogger bomb initially, in addition to bathing REALLY good with "defleaer" bath of the dog (Dawn is excellent for that), but then, once any exhisting adult fleas are killed, the sonic plug ins should keep it under control from then on out.

Our house here where we are now is very small, about 800 sq ft. (I think), so we just got one "large" plug in, and it takes care of all the rooms in the whole house. It costed about $35.00. We've had ours for over 3 years now, nothing to replace or refill. Just plug it in, and there it stays.

No chemicals, odors nor sounds to the human or pets ears. The only way we can tell that it's even "here", is that it's worked all this time, in that we've not had any fleas in the house, nor on our dogs ever since that first week after having plugged it in.

Hope this helps...

EDITED:

So...as long as your dogs have no existing skin conditions, (you may want to consult with your vet first, either way), this should help....

When you bath the dog, if the fleas are really bad on the dog, shampoo into a lather really good then quickly rinse completely. Then shampoo again into a really thick lather, and let that set for about 10 minutes. You would have to set with your dog, or he'll likely much prefer to shake it all off and RUN. After about 10 minutes, then rinse really good. Also, as with most soaps though, be very careful not to get the soap in their eyes, it will irritate them.

What this does, is kill all the fleas, but there is also something in the Dawn dish soap that takes "the itch" out of their skin as well. I don't know what or how it works, but it DOES!

I even use it on myself when I get mosquito bites, or ant bites. Ant bites especially...ITCH! I just rub in a little dab onto the mosquito or ant bite, let it dry, and NO MORE ITCH.

I've used it on my horses too. Tuffy, stepped into an ant his leg was quickly covered with ants. He was stomping from frustrations of the itch and wanted so badly to rubbed his mouth to scratch with his teeth. But, I didn't want him to get a mouth full of ants, so I hosed his leg off with the water hose, and then I rubbed some Dawn all over his leg and foot (generously) then let it dry. By the time he was dry, he was no longer stomping with frustration of wanting to bite/scratch.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
LadyBug! I have used frontline for 6 years and I think our FLEAS are imunne to it

SWA I have a question on the sonic things! Is there a warning on them about BIRDS?? I have looked into them before now this was about 3 -4 years age! and You could not use them around birds!

My biggest problem is I don't want to use any more chemicals on this poodle she is 10 years old and only 3lbs I am just afraid these chemecals are going to kill her! I did get The Adams today and bathed her and the rest of the dogs so we shall see!!

RNR

wow I have never heard of the Frontline not working in all my years of being a vet tech!!
new_shocked.gif
You must have some stubborn fleas.

Just one more tip i can think of is bathe outside of course, and when using either the dish soap or flea shampoo, make sure to start at the head at the base of the ears and work your way back, the fleas will jump towards the back of the dog and eventually right off.

Also check into the knockout premise spray. its supposed to be great stuff.

Good luck in your battle against the bugs!!

Thanks! These FLEAS are driving me NUTS!! We got the "Knockout" yesterday and did the basment and the house the bird had to go to the neghbors for a few days till the chemical gets out of hte air! All the dogs got Dish soap bathes and a tretment of frontline so we shall see

for now we are flea free! I hope it stays this way!!

RNR said:
SWA I have a question on the sonic things! Is there a warning on them about BIRDS?? I have looked into them before now this was about 3 -4 years age! and You could not use them around birds!
474131[/snapback]

Hmmm, I've never really checked for birds, as I only have my two dogs. That is good to have checked that out for birds.

Hope things do work out for ya.

Latest posts

Back