HOLY COW!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww! What a rough first day for the poor little thing! Here's hoping it's all smooth sailing from here!

The vet gave the filly something that totally amazed me! No Doz!!! After giving her 1/2 tab dissolved in water orally, the filly jumped up, walked over to the mare, stuck her head under and started nursing! I've never, ever seen anything like it and I've seen quite a lot in all my years with horses. LOL The caffeine stimulant was just what she needed.
Well DUH! I can barely move before I have my coffee either.

Congratulations on a beautiful filly. I hope all goes well from here on.

She is precious [SIZE=18pt]CONGRATULATIONS [/SIZE]

Thanks for the heads up on No Doz, as someone else said always learning here.
default_saludando.gif

She is really cute. I am glad that everything is looking better now.

I would give the filly a chance to nurse on her own and see how things go.... sometimes too much interferance too soon can be detrimental. I would have your vet out to see about your mare and see if they think she has enough milk, and sometimes it comes in on it's own after the foal is born and nursing.

Some friends had an unusual case this year though, the mare foaled a bit early- a healthy colt, but she had next to no milk. The foal failed the IGG test. During his transfusion, his heart quit- the vet had to inject medication to his heart to bring him back- a bit unnerving for the owners and the vet!! All the drugs in the world did not bring that mares milk in... she has some but very little. She mothers the colt and he nurses, but they have been bottle feeding him also since birth and he lets you know when he is hungry! He is doing great, but mama just didnt have enough milk.

I highly recommend your vet come out if you think there is a problem, and if it doesnt get enough colostrum, time is of the essence. (Havent read all the posts, so you may have called your vet already)

Hope all works out and the mama and baby do well.

Just edited to note- I see you already got them to the vets, and congrats on your cute baby!

Last edited by a moderator:
What a beautiful baby!

Wow! No Doz! I will remember that!!

Robin

More good news! Mom and baby came home late this afternoon. The vet thought she was nursing well and doing everything she should be. The mare's udder is small but I'll be keeping a close watch on the filly to make sure she is thriving. The mare is getting Domperidone for the next several days and hopefully, that will see an increase in udder size. I'll hear the results of the IgG tomorrow and hopefully the filly won't need an additional plasma transfusion.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and well wishes.

Isn't that amazing about No Doz? I'll know what to do next time for a lethargic foal!

That is great new Becky....I hope things keep improving.... I am getting some No Doz just in case.......

oh wow, that's great! What good news!

She's a precious little girl with a rought start but sounds like everything is going to be okay - we'll be thinking of you. Glad to hear they're home and improving!

Congrats!
default_aktion033.gif

GREAT NEWS AND CONGRATULATION! I AGREE WITH GETITIA,IF SHE WILL NURSE THE MILK WILL COME. I HAVE A COUPLE OF MARES WHO NEVER BAG UP BEFORE DELIVERY, AS SOON AS THE BABY COMES, SO DOES THE MILK.
default_aktion033.gif

Wow, what good news! Hope she continues to improve for you?

No Doz, who would have thought? I wonder if Kayro still works for pepping them up? I know nothing should be given until the colustrum is received.

This little girl has been blessed.

Beth

Latest posts

Back