Hiking with your mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent her off to get trained to pull a cart. I wish i had the experience to do it myself . I heard that a "green person" training a "green horse" spells disaster. It will be fun driving her around the place, but I will be worried about wolves. I seen a big gray wolf the other night when I was coming back from the barn locking up the chickens for the night
default_unsure.png
Was I scared! I was glad Nikki was'nt home yet. I wish I had a group of people driving our minis together. Safety in numbers as they say.
default_yes.gif
That would be pretty scary! I'll look forward to hearing about your experiences when you start driving!

When we first adopted Mingus we lived smack dab in the middle of Portland, Oregon. We had a 1/2 acre and were able to set up our corral to conform to city code, so we even had a permit for him.

We had a city park (Mt. Tabor...an extinct volcano) three blocks from our back gate, so we frequently walked him on the park's roads, bike paths and hiking trails. Even the grass was mini-friendly, since the park also contained the city's water reservoirs, so no chemicals or pesticides were used in the park.

Wow, Susanne, your experiences with Mingus sound amazing. I'm jealous! We, too, have some Rails to Trails paths around here. I have a lot to look into. I'm anxious to learn to drive my girl. So much fun waiting out there.

How did you get your cart down to the hard sand? When I have taken my horses to the beach to ride, we had to cross a lot of soft sand.

I'm getting more excited!

How did you get your cart down to the hard sand? When I have taken my horses to the beach to ride, we had to cross a lot of soft sand.

I'm getting more excited!
The Long Beach beach accesses have packed sand roads from the paved roads clear out almost to the hard sand. Mingus' only objection is to the gravel on top of the sand path -- he's a bit of a princess at times, but he's an incredible horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You. I will be very happy to share my experiences !! Only two more months to go !!
default_aktion033.gif

The Long Beach beach accesses have packed sand roads from the paved roads clear out almost to the hard sand. Mingus' only objection is to the gravel on top of the sand path -- he's a bit of a princess at times, but he's an incredible horse.
Very good to know! Now, I just need to get my girl going. I don't even have a cart yet but I'm shopping. I have a slew of saddles to sell... then going to get a cart. Looks like the ones I'm leaning toward are around $1K give or take... sigh. Save my pennies! I'm reading up on the driving forum, shopping the websights, watching Craigslist....
default_smile.png

So, let me know when you are going to head to the coast and if I can tag along, I will
default_laugh.png

Knottymare said:
Where are you able to take your cart out? Down my way, we have Taylor Mountain but some of the hills are kind of steep. Do you ever hit Bridle Trails? I haven't been there, yet. Most of the trails that I have ridden on in my neck of the woods would be virtually impossible to take a cart on. ... I need to get to work on Dolly so we'll be carting this summer. I'm not really sure where to start, though!
I live about 35 minutes from Bridle Trails and used to show there all the time with my riding horse. I have taken the driving horse there once but went by myself and got lost and ended up being out three hours longer than I meant to!
default_new_shocked.gif
I swore after that I wasn't going back without either a buddy or a map.
default_laugh.png

I usually end up driving on the roads around my house or occasionally hauling out to the Centennial Trail in Snohomish or a much nicer driving trail in Carnation. Mostly I just work with what I have at home.

As for how to start driving, start by contacting an experienced driving trainer and getting some lessons. Talk to Dorothy Whiteman in Elma or Don and Lisa Eckhardt in Snohomish- both are very good. I can show you some of the basics at the NWMHC club clinic as well.

Knottymare said:
So, let me know when you are going to head to the coast and if I can tag along, I will
default_laugh.png
Don't worry, we always advertise it on here!
default_biggrin.png
Look up "Beach drive" on LB and you'll probably find some of our old threads with pictures of my little red Maserati, Kody, as well as Susanne's Mingus. I got some great pictures of Turbo's first time out this last summer but only posted a few on here in an unrelated thread. I can't see the pix at work (Photobucket and FB are blocked, of course) but I copied the links from that old post. Hope they work.
default_pray.gif

47365_1268268845520_1793810340_542295_3196081_n.jpg

46647_1268268525512_1793810340_542293_120514_n.jpg

58959_1268272605614_1793810340_542300_1684677_n.jpg

58959_1268272645615_1793810340_542301_3954873_n.jpg

Leia

I haven't taken the horses on any 'trails' for a while but we do go on walks up and down our street. The dogs drive me insane though! They are behind fences, most of the time, but it's just the barking that does not stop that kind of spoils the nice country walk!

Leia, I haven't ridden Bridle Trails yet but I've heard it's HUGE! Once I get my girl going, we'll go out together and take my GPS LOL. Your boys are beautiful! I assume the cart ahead of you in the last picture is Susanne and Mingus! Cute.

Maplegum, on my walk this evening, I was followed the entire time by two very small, very cute but VERY annoying barking Pomeranians! Dolly didn't even look at them but my big mare, Adora, was getting pretty annoyed... but her way of showing any emotion is to shrink. Poor dear.

LOVELY day in the Pacific Northwest for a walk, though, barking dogs or not!

Anyway, I would love to hear your experiences!

Hiking with your mini can be VERY rewarding. Scotty and I hike all over the place. We live in a rural area in Colorado, just 35-60 minutes from high mountains and lots of hiking right on my property and surrounding area. I started getting Scotty in shape by hiking many miles on our rural gravel roads then started him out hiking in the hills behind my place and in a Wilderness park just 1 mile from our property. I actually walk both my minis and 2 dogs every weekend and in the evening during the warm months and longer days. I get a lot of comments when we are out on trails...people can't believe how great a hiker Scotty is. The Rocky Mountains...are just that...rocky. I was a huge trail rider when I had big horses and now since I have become a full time hiker, I plan to hike every trail I rode...it's a lot of them...over 40 years worth...lol. Anyway...I have a sawbuck saddle and panniers for Scotty and he hikes with us....have never refused to go up or through anything...rocks...creeks...mud...whatever...and he hauls our fish we catch out of the back country. He loves it...loves going. It's funny though when you pull up to a trailhead with a full size trailer and pull the little mini out...hahahaha...had some horse people bout fall out of their saddles. Anyway...enjoy your mini....hike away!!!! Michele
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back