high tail set, low tail set...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samm S

Reaction score
i know what it is and everything and i know many many horses that have a low tail set but then again ive never really looked at a nice high tail set... i always seem to forget to check when im looking in the show ring..

does anyone have pictures of horses with nice tail sets.. i would very much like to see some..

default_yes.gif
: thanks
default_wink.png
:

[SIZE=14pt]I think that my mare Abby has a nice tail set[/SIZE]

eecfbef3.jpg

I think both Eddie (top) and Sweet Tart (bottom) who are father and son both have good tail sets.

f29127ec.jpg

I also like Indys tail set

f1e17b8c.jpg

Carbon is Indys full sister, this pic is when she was the same age as Indys pic

f2e5d89a.jpg

Lyn

heres one of the best tail sets we have owned and he passes this to his babies. Magic Mans Red Rocket.

redrocket2.jpg

Last edited:
Those are alll very nice! I havent seen many good ones at shows though i haven't looked hard haha.

KayKay,

I know that horse. Well sorta...

Wasnt he at Havenbrooks? I bought a colt from them a few years ago, but he is from NFC Dandys Encore..

heres one of the best we have owned and he passes this to his babies. Magic Mans Red Rocket.

redrocket2.jpg

lsweb.jpg

My mare, Lailah...

larkweb.jpg

Her daughter, Lark as a five month old filly.

larkgc06.jpg

And again as a year and three months old.

Seems to me a nicer, higher tailset goes along with a deeper hip as opposed to a low tailset/weak hip, but NOT ALWAYS.

Liz M.

hi tango

yes i bought him from linda a few years ago. He is now sold to a new owner but I still have a foal by him coming any day now and Diva our current foal is from Rocket. I also bought a Encore foal from linda years ago. I really miss her!!!

Here are several of ours with high tailsets. I have heard it said, the head is the easiest thing to correct,

but a low tail set can take several generations to correct.

COVERGIRL-WEB-L.HALTER.JPG

SPIRIT--WEB--RIGHT_HALTER_250.JPG

JET--WEB-_PIC_PERFECT_R..JPG

ECHO_MAN--WEB-HALTER_R.-WEBS.JPG

ULTIMATE_RIGHT_LEG_LIFTED-WEBS.JPG

Here is a pic of a not so great tail set. All in all this mare (yes she is mine she is our palomino few spot) has a not so great hind end her croup is steep her tail set is lower and she could use more hip. and yes before comments starts going her feet are long in this picture.

First off I for one am not a table top topline kinda person I like to see some roundness to the croup which of course changes the look of the tail set a bit although her croup is to steep and tail set to low for my ideal

I will say in fairness to her she has the the best extension I have seen in most minis a nice free moving long stride which I love (the dressage hunter person in me)
default_yes.gif
: and if I make proper breeding decisions she is a good producer and her foals can hold there own showing although there strong suit is driving in fact 2 are currently exceling in CDE with the dressage portion being there best event. and doing well on the ADS circuit. But all of that aside.. you can see a not so great tail set with her

doveright.jpg

Last edited:
I think there are others who don't really breed for the real high tail set but breed for the "smoothly rounding rump" as the Standard states it to be. This is where it can so confusing for someone new to Miniature horses. If they go by the Standard of Perfection some of the winning horses just would not fit, to them. But we also have to keep in mind that the the horse is to fit the "type" of horse represented. If someone likes a "type" different from the Arab type they aren't going to be striving for the real high tail set. It is nice to be able to breed for a big horse "type" with our miniatures and still be correct. Just an observation. Mary

Here is a pic of a not so great tail set. All in all this mare (yes she is mine she is our palomino few spot) has a not so great hind end her croup is steep her tail set is lower and she could use more hip. and yes before comments starts going her feet are long in this picture.

First off I for one am not a table top topline kinda person I like to see some roundness to the croup which of course changes the look of the tail set a bit

I will say in fairness to her she has the the best extension I have seen in most minis a nice free moving long stride which I love (the dressage hunter person in me)
default_yes.gif
: and if I make proper breeding decisions she is a good producer and her foals can hold there own showing although there strong suit is driving in fact 2 are currently exceling in CDE with the dressage portion being there best event. and doing well on the ADS circuit. But all of that aside.. you can see a not so great tail set with her

doveright.jpg

This is my highest tail set, on Reflections What A Star:

7-05WhatAStar.jpg

WhatAStarJuly05cropped.jpg

This one is similar to the one Lisa posted. I love EVERYTHING else about the mare, and her foals haven't inherited it yet. Now I've probably jinxed myself.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Here's Jandts Cheeri Deeri:

DinahCollageJuly06medium.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]We should also realize that tail set and tail carriage are two different things. I have a mare with not the best tail set yet, when she is moving that tail is carried high and flagged. Just something else to consider.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Agreed Lynn, however, those pictures above happen to be the only two I have of that filly. I can assure you, her tail set is high and her croup is level. We're actually muddy for once, so the filly isn't fit for public view, LOL.

I do have a mare like you mentioned, that usually holds her tail high when moving, but otherwise has a smootly rounded rump.

The way a horse is standing can also change the way their tail set appears. Take this mare for example. In the first photo, she doesn't look too bad, right?

BabeRight2Jul04.jpg

Now look at her standing square:

BabeLeftJul04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Stephanie, I wasnt trying to say your filly didnt have a high set tail... she does.[/SIZE]

I was just making a point in general.

Lyn

several folks have commented on this guy's tailset...

lucky5.jpg

(yes, I know he's moving, but when he gets going it's even higher!)

The way a horse is standing can also change the way their tail set appears.
Exactly. When I look at a horse, to judge the tailset...I want it standing level, and square...not stretched.
default_yes.gif
: Stretching is something developed to a fine art, by the Arabians, Morgans, Hackneys, and Shetlands...but really doesn't give you a true look at the real/natural tailset. It accentuates it...and can make an ordinary tailset look much better; that's why they started doing it in the first place.

Don't get me wrong...I am NOT saying the stretched horses and ponies show here aren't showing a good tailset...just that the stretching makes it look more level than they naturally are.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back