Hi I'm new here and new to minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estelle

Reaction score
Hi everyone..Im new here and new to minis too. I have had full sized horses since I was 4 which is almost 41 years *groan* getting old LOL I still do have my riding mare, but I picked up a mini mare a few weeks ago and it looks like she is probably breed also..she is a size B mini about

35 1/2 inches, 10 years old, had at least 2 foals before, but not sure how long she carried..I was looking at pictures they gave me when I got her and I notice in all of them (and no she is not preggers in them) that she looks like she has a haybelly..she is wormed regularly...what else would cause this? Second quesion, roughly how long does a sizeB carry her foal? I have been told it's generally shorter then full sized horses? thanks for you help!

Estelle,

Welcome to the forum!! :aktion033:

Every mare is different as to how many days they go, I just had a maiden 32" mare that went to 341 days. Normal gestation is 342 days. I also had a B mare that went 330 days this year. It just depends.

How old is the mare and what are the feeding her could have something to do with the hay belly look, ok just noticed she is 10 well I have a 10 year old that just kind of stays fat even when not bred, but she has had several foals and it does relax thier muscles as I let her be a broodmare and don't condition her for show. Do you have any pics of her you can post, sometimes horses can appear to have a hay belly but thier top line (backbone) seems to be more prominent than it should and that can be from malnutrition. I don't know if this helps any but maybe someone else will jump on with an opinion.

HI,and WELCOME to the forum from Wisconsin :saludando: . I have been in minis for almost 10 yrs , and for me the avg. gestation seems to be anywhere from 315 to 330 days, I have mostly A's but do have 3 B's. I am sure your going to hear alot of differances on this, but you have to remember each mare is differant. Would love to see a picture of your mini sometime.
default_yes.gif
: Corinne

Welcome :aktion033:

What kind of grain is she on? If too much hay and not a complete diet, the belly would be there.

I would put her on a Complete Grain, less hay, and see if that doesn't help.

You said you had her a few weeks? I'd still worm her, just in case.

Good luck!

I think you should have a blood test or ultra sound done to solve the mystery. Best wishes.

:saludando: HI ESTELLE WELCOME TO THE FORUM,YOULL GET YOUR ANSWER HERE OKAY,I WOULD ALSO SAY TTHAT I GIVE MORE GRAIN AND LESS HAY GENERALLY SPEAKING TO MY HORSES,AND THEY DONT GET THAT HAY BELLY,COULD YOU LET US KNOW WHATS SHES GETTING AND MAYBE POST A PICTURE,THANKS AND WELCOME FROM IRELAND :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum from the bluegrass state of Kentucky........ As stated, a proper deworming & feeding program is the place to start.

Hi :saludando: and thanks for the warm welcomes!
default_smile.png
I'll have to get a picture up for you...I dont have any here and she is sooo furry (Im in maine) that it's hard to believe she is the same mini they gave me pics off from the summer time...she is a little thin right now..backbone and hips are up a little, cant see them with all the hair, but you can feel them...got her on a pretty good diet, per vet, at least I think it's good, tell me what you all think...she is on free choice grass hay, twice a day she gets about 1/4 to 1/2 pound of dengie, 3 cups (after soaking) of beet pulp, 1 cup of mare and foal grain and 1 cup of horse 10 grain (this is a 10% fat, 10% protein grain) she gets a vitamin supplement and probiotics (once a day for those 2 things) ..what do you think?

She was bred June 30, July 1 and July 5 after that she did not come in heat again..this is what I was told by previous owners. She has foaled out at least 2 foals, but I think she has been a brood mare for a while with back to back breedings. This will be her last baby if she is preggers. Vet came out last week and did a check up, blood test to see if she is preggers, pulled a coggins and gave a rhino shot...I have also heard mixed things no the rhino shots..some say give them all some say dont give them?

another question...should she be vaccinated with spring shots first of april if she is preggers? it would be a

4-way, rabies, tetnus (or is tetnus included in the 4-way? LOL) and another rhino? Should she have these before foaling or should I wait until after she foals?

Nother question, when should the foal be vacinated? We have equine vets here, which I use, but they seem pretty clueless about minis and IM not sure if it is different with them then full sized horses?

Can anyone recommend a good, informative, general info book on minis?

LOL tired of my questions yet? Thanks so much!

now by complete feed do you mean senior food? We have blue seal in my area what type of thier feed would you recommmend and how much each feeding? I have heard too much grain is not good for minis from the local mini people I have talked with? I know I prefer that my large horses not get much grain unless absolutly neccessary and I dont use it for weight gain. I use beetpulp, oil and BOSS for that with my large girls and probiotics which I think are extemly important for any equine...The minis I have seen seem to stay fat on air so I was surprised to realize she was kind of skinny when I ran my hands over her...

Is it safe to worm her if she is pregnant? When is the latest I can worm her if she is using the dates of breeding I posted earlier? (june 30, july 1 and july 5) do you think it's safe to use ivermectin? They claimed they wormed her regularly and that she was wormed in early mid january.

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions!

Hi Estelle!

You've come to the right place. There are tons of nice people here who will help you galore! You and Sage will benefit greatly!

The diet sounds good...who are your vets? ABC? I like the beet pulp-- we do that too.

You should see my minis right now in their winter woolies! They look nothing like the pictures on my web site! One of my favorite things to do in the spring is to "unwrap" them by clipping off all that hair!

I'm glad you weren't fooled into thinking she was overweight. Her belly may look bigger than it actually is because of the hair.

She can be vaccinated with the 4-way and needs that about a month before the baby is born. (It should include the tentanus.) I also do Strangles vaccination (intra-nasal), but that can't be done when they're in foal. I skip the rhino. Go by what the vet says because they know what's in the area.

Worm her-- read the directions on the package. Most are safe for mares in foal. Do not use Quest. A lot of people have had problems with it-- it is very easy to overdose with just a little.

The foal should be safe with vaccinations for a while after birth. Your vet has a schedule, I'm sure, and it is probably exactly like the big horses.

A book by Barbara Naviaux is the best on minis. Miniature Horses, Their Care, Breeding and Coat Colors. It is sometimes difficult to find. I found it used online.

We also do Blue Seal. Most are on Trotter. When it's time, we use Purina Mare & Foal and then Purina Equine Junior.

The hay in this area is low on selenium. But if you're feeding grain, it should be fine. If you ever just switch to feeding her hay, supplement with a product with selenium.

The people on this forum are awesome and don't mind your questions at all!

Tracy

(edited for spelling)

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions!
Estelle, I can't really answer your questions but since you're new to the site I would suggest that you do a search on the subjects you want. There are always a lot of good answers on here and sometimes the anwers you need are already there so you don't have to wait so long.

Welcome to the site and good luck with your new girl.

Hi Tracy! Good to see you...I have been watching your webcam for the baby! How exciting...

How about her rabies shot is it safe to give her that before foaling? Or this close to it at least...

I use Maine Equine Associates..Rachel Flaherty or Dr. Jeffereson..usually it's rachel that comes out.

Hi Estelle!

You've come to the right place. There are tons of nice people here who will help you galore! You and Sage will benefit greatly!

The diet sounds good...who are your vets? ABC? I like the beet pulp-- we do that too.

You should see my minis right now in their winter woolies! They look nothing like the pictures on my web site! One of my favorite things to do in the spring is to "unwrap" them by clipping off all that hair!

I'm glad you weren't fooled into thinking she was overweight. Her belly may look bigger than it actually is because of the hair.

She can be vaccinated with the 4-way and needs that about a month before the baby is born. (It should include the tentanus.) I also do Strangles vaccination (intra-nasal), but that can't be done when they're in foal. I skip the rhino. Go by what the vet says because they know what's in the area.

Worm her-- read the directions on the package. Most are safe for mares in foal. Do not use Quest. A lot of people have had problems with it-- it is very easy to overdose with just a little.

The foal should be safe with vaccinations for a while after birth. Your vet has a schedule, I'm sure, and it is probably exactly like the big horses.

A book by Barbara Naviaux is the best on minis. Miniature Horses, Their Care, Breeding and Coat Colors. It is sometimes difficult to find. I found it used online.

We also do Blue Seal. Most are on Trotter. When it's time, we use Purina Mare & Foal and then Purina Equine Junior.

The hay in this area is low on selenium. But if you're feeding grain, it should be fine. If you ever just switch to feeding her hay, supplement with a product with selenium.

The people on this forum are awesome and don't mind your questions at all!

Tracy

(edited for spelling)

Annabessacook Vets (ABC for short) in Monmouth are awesome! They are very open to learning about minis and I highly recommend them. They also have two vets that can palpate a mini-- Dr. Brown and Dr. Wilson. (In case the blood test comes back inconclusive.)

I can't remember on the rabies shots. The vet will know. I'd space out the vaccinations so she doesn't get overwhelmed with treatments. I would do boosters on the shots... just in case she's never had them. She probably was wormed by the previous owner, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, I also do West Nile.

And if grouchiness was an indication of imminent foaling, Venus would foal today. Geesh she is grouchy!!! Hates being alone, but kicks the crap out of the other horse if she feels like it. Then she tries to do the mutual grooming thing and doesn't understand why the other horse is hesitant!
default_wacko.png
:

yep I know ABC....used to use them...dont use them anymore though...I just wormed her...man they dont get much do they? LOL what a difference between her dose and my riding horses! LOL she has not started rubbing her butt quite badly this is new! Rubbing the crap out of her tailhead and buttock hair! I"ll check with the vet on the rabies.

Thanks for your help Tracy!

Annabessacook Vets (ABC for short) in Monmouth are awesome! They are very open to learning about minis and I highly recommend them. They also have two vets that can palpate a mini-- Dr. Brown and Dr. Wilson. (In case the blood test comes back inconclusive.)

I can't remember on the rabies shots. The vet will know. I'd space out the vaccinations so she doesn't get overwhelmed with treatments. I would do boosters on the shots... just in case she's never had them. She probably was wormed by the previous owner, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, I also do West Nile.

And if grouchiness was an indication of imminent foaling, Venus would foal today. Geesh she is grouchy!!! Hates being alone, but kicks the crap out of the other horse if she feels like it. Then she tries to do the mutual grooming thing and doesn't understand why the other horse is hesitant!
default_wacko.png
:

Welcome fellow Maina We are also from Maine. AS for the Rabies shot not for pregannt mares but we do give it right after foaling as we have coyottes near here. Your vet will tell you when and what for shots. We also use ABC and I love them. The 24 hour coverage is great and they have learned alot about minis in the last 5 years mostly at my expense LOL. Well mine and Tracys. Welcome to the forum and Good Luck.

WELCOME :saludando:

I am just new on the forum also.

People have great information to pass on.

Hi and welcome from the cold/winder blustering cold of Nebraska! lol! But I bet she's never had her teeth done!!? That would be a priority for me! My mares have not had thier teeth done yet... but it's TOO cold, and will not have a pregnant mare worked on! I'm not taking the chance of that stress risk along with the sedation. But I will have them done in April, after they foal and before they are rebred....

But where that mare's that age and has probally never been in shape...... Just think of what a person like that would look like if they've had a few kids with NO excerise..... Where do you think all that FAT would be or is! lol! ha!!
default_eat.gif
:

Latest posts

Back