Hey, Dr. Pam!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
I want pictures! Al B. already spilled the results but I want to hear more and see the pictures Patty took. :aktion033:

Leia

:lol: Intrested as well, but only if you have the time.... don't want to be a pest
default_blush.png
:
default_wink.png
: But if you have the time then, let the show begin
default_wub.png
:

Ash

Edited for spelling :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
:risa8: :risa8: :risa8: :risa8: :risa8: :risa8:
:488: :488: :488: :488: :488: :488:

:lol: :538: :lol: :538: :lol: :538:
Want to hear it all please -- now I gotta search for Al B's topic I must have missed it somewhere.

JJay

JJay, he made the mistake of posting on another thread (one of the bit ones, I think) and I bugged him for results.
default_eat.gif
:

Leia

Dr Pam is probably being modest and doesn't want to tell you how she beat me like a drum.

We tied in dressage and had no penalties in cones and marathon but she beat me by 9 seconds in the cones.

:eek:

She was second and I was third.

Al, what were the dressage scores if you don't mind sharing? How long was the marathon? Did they use the cones times only to break the tie or did they run the new style of competition where time counts during the last half of the cones course? Who was it who beat you both? I'm dying of curiousity here! :new_multi:

Leia

The lady who won was Elizabeth Sterling and she was driving a really experienced horse but I have not seen her in VSE competition before. Her dressage was 52.80 with no penalties in cones or marathon.

Dr Pam and I had 59.20 with no penalties in cones or marathon. I assume they used the cones times. The marathon was just a hair under 5 kilometers. The time was 32:20 to finish.

Dr Pam was driving her very experienced VSE but expanded the arena to 21x41 during her run. I was driving a new gelding that had not been off the farm. This was his first experience and I am very proud of his accomplishments. I had really no expectations of any reasonable score. Especially since he was really uncontrolable when we were warming up. He didn't have much P&V after 5k thru hills and some deep mud but he was a trooper.

default_smile.png

Sunrise Ridge was a blast! If I had more time and patience, I'd figure out how to get pics to a server I can download from, but I don't so here's a link:

http://www.sendpix.com/albums/07041106/n2grvwi1rk/

You made my day Al by saying my horse was experienced. :bgrin He's just 4 this year, and this was the first HDT either of us had driven. I have navigated a couple other HDTs for friends, so at least knew what I was supposed to do. It was also our second driving event to have been in... we went to the Cedar Creek pleasure driving show last fall. If you had seen Toby there, you'd know what a difference there has been in his attitude and behavior. I had to scratch some of his afternoon classes at Cedar Creek because he was getting mentally fried.

Al is right, it was WET as you can see from my pics. The wet pics are from the cones course. I had the advantage on the other VSEs as Toby is a big mini- 37.5" and quite long and stocky. Plus, the bottom 10 acres of our property was quite literally a swamp until this last year when we moved here and fixed most of the drainage problems. Most, but not all... I have been conditioning Toby in some very boggy areas, so the first part of the marathon that was truly thick with mud was no problem for Toby. And here I'd been cursing my swamp grounds all winter...
default_wink.png
:

It rained so hard Friday that we couldn't walk the marathon course. Because the VSEs were last to go, we were able to walk the course Saturday morning, but on an individual basis rather than an organized one. One of my friends took a couple of us on the course walk in her golf cart, and it was so boggy on the first leg of the marathon that we barely made it through. We thought we were going to have to get out and push the golf cart. This is the are Al was talking about that was hard for the little guys to get through.

The one nice thing about the rain is it brought cooler temps- it had been in the 80's and humid. So I was very glad for that since I could only do a trace clip. Our barn is still in the process of being built, and I was afraid if I body clipped it would get cold again and then I wouldn't be able to keep Tobes warm enough. Of course, I was wondering about my logic just before the trial with it being in the 80's all week and the end of March. Turns out I did the right thing as it actually snowed this last weekend! It was too warm for the snow to stick, but certainly cold enough that a body clipped horse would have frozen no matter the number of blankets.

It was a wonderful learning experience. The dressage notes help so much in figuring out what we need more work on. There was a photographer there who has I think 3 people taking pics from different angles, and you can buy a DVD with all the photos for $50, which I did. The photos sure show what I need to work on as far as my positioning and posture. lol

The marathon (aside from the boggy area) was just beautiful to drive. It wound up and down hills, through open fields and woods... it was just so much fun. I had to laugh though, as we got through all the obstacles (man made and natural) without any problem at all, but barely made it through the finish gate because Toby was freaking out at someone's jacket left on a chair by the gate. Silly pony.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

It was wonderful to meet Al and Susan and see their lovely horses, and it was great to see Dr. Pam again with her neat mare. Al's green horse did very well for his first event and to have so many perils on his first trip out. Had Dr. Pam's horse not slipped in dressage (yes, it was muddy there, too), I don't think we could have touched her score.

What I am just thrilled about is I found out they will offer Prelim in our area if we ask. All I've seen for the minis has been training level, and I wanted to be able to keep moving up as our skill allows. I was afraid I'd have to move to the pony division in order to go prelim, which I would/will if necessary, but it looks like I don't have to! I'm not a super competitive person. I love to show because it gives me a benchmark from which to learn and see if we're going in the right direction with our training. I like to stick with a horse and take him as far as he and I can go... which is why I'm so excited to know I can continue to move up with Toby.

We are lucky to have such a great group of driving people in our area. Even with the bad weather, the show was a blast. I'm looking forward to the Spring Fling next month!

No wonder I could not find Al_B's thread - it did not exist -- but from the other postings here - looks and sounds like you guys had a great time - and did quite well to boot.

I did not know that you could compete minis in the pony division. I did not think that was allowed - even if you moved "up" for the entire year. I thought minis could only be VSE.

My local club has a CDE in May and they decided not to offer VSE this year - so was thinking of trying Pony (at least doing CT part - cones and dressage only with a passenger and skipping cross country). But I thought I was told I could not compete in Pony. My guy is only 34" so I don't think he could carry me (I am a bit larger than average) and someone else, unless I had a child as my navigator.

Good luck to all in your future events.

JJay

I didn't realize that was you Elizabeth. You should have said something. :eek:

I guess we now have a good start on VSE folks. You, Susan and I, Dr Pam and Patty. We just need to start rounding up others for the Haven Hill HDT in November down here in Navasota. We had 6 last year but if we keep growing we will outnumber the big guys.

And Bluerocket you don't need a navigator unless you have a pair or more. Also I doubt you can match me on the scales so don't let that be a problem.
default_smile.png

Oh, Elizabeth, how wonderful to find another competitor on the forum and such an eloquent one at that!! I was very impressed looking at your pictures- both you and Toby look extremely professional. He is on the bit, stretchy, relaxed, his harness and cart are well-fitted and of good quality, and your outfit is to die for! :worshippy: Will you go shopping with me some time please?? :538: I use green too and am built a bit like you but I am so awful at putting together outfits....Where did you get your hat?

Elizabeth_S said:
The one nice thing about the rain is it brought cooler temps- it had been in the 80's and humid. So I was very glad for that since I could only do a trace clip. Our barn is still in the process of being built, and I was afraid if I body clipped it would get cold again and then I wouldn't be able to keep Tobes warm enough. Of course, I was wondering about my logic just before the trial with it being in the 80's all week and the end of March. Turns out I did the right thing as it actually snowed this last weekend! It was too warm for the snow to stick, but certainly cold enough that a body clipped horse would have frozen no matter the number of blankets.
Boy can I sympathize with that! :new_shocked: I live in WA where our high temp today is supposed to be 54 and it's very damp and chilly but I had to clip Kody so we could go to California and do Ram Tap April 20-22. For late or early events up here I always err on the side of fuzzy but for a 9km marathon in 80 degree weather I didn't have a choice. My poor pony.
default_sad.png

It was a wonderful learning experience. The dressage notes help so much in figuring out what we need more work on. There was a photographer there who has I think 3 people taking pics from different angles, and you can buy a DVD with all the photos for $50, which I did. The photos sure show what I need to work on as far as my positioning and posture. lol
Okay, whatever LOL. Your posture looks really good, in fact I was saying to myself "See Leia, that's why you need to sit up straight! Look how elegant she is." I think you look great! I suppose I could go back and nitpick, but my first impression was of elegance and that's really all I saw.

You guys are so lucky with your photographers in TX, up here we have trouble getting more than three or four pictures of a mini per competition and they usually aren't all that hot.

It was wonderful to meet Al and Susan and see their lovely horses, and it was great to see Dr. Pam again with her neat mare. Al's green horse did very well for his first event and to have so many perils on his first trip out. Had Dr. Pam's horse not slipped in dressage (yes, it was muddy there, too), I don't think we could have touched her score.
Finally, an explanation for the 21x41 joke!

What I am just thrilled about is I found out they will offer Prelim in our area if we ask. All I've seen for the minis has been training level, and I wanted to be able to keep moving up as our skill allows. I was afraid I'd have to move to the pony division in order to go prelim, which I would/will if necessary, but it looks like I don't have to! I'm not a super competitive person. I love to show because it gives me a benchmark from which to learn and see if we're going in the right direction with our training. I like to stick with a horse and take him as far as he and I can go... which is why I'm so excited to know I can continue to move up with Toby.
We have it all the way through Intermediate in WA, CA, and back east so if you feel like moving up, ask them! The ADS allows it for sure.

I am in complete agreement with your attitude about showing.
default_yes.gif
: It's so enriching to form a true partnership with one particular horse over the years! Please continue to share your experiences with Toby, I look forward to hearing more about him.

May I post a link to your pictures on my website, www.cde4vse.com?

Leia

Al B said:
And Bluerocket you don't need a navigator unless you have a pair or more. Also I doubt you can match me on the scales so don't let that be a problem.
default_smile.png
Actually Al, she's right. If you compete as small pony you go by small pony rules, which means you need a navigator. :no:

Bluerocket, we said you could go as small pony if the VSE division wasn't offered. I'm not sure how that would work for "they offer training VSE but not Prelim," but I imagine especially at a HDT where the marathon is one short length for everyone they'd simply let you enter as Prelim and not worry about it. At a CDE it's a bit harder for the organizers as the marathon is longer for each level and they have to rearrange the entire course to accomodate one single Prelim VSE.

Leia

Keep the "threads/articles" and Pictures coming please -- I know I for one really enjoy reading all this.

JJay

I am really enjoying this thread-and green with envy, of you guys who actually live within 'shouting distance' of where these kinds of events are offered....! Do you know how fortunate you are??? :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
:

Is this the Elizabeth who used to live in Portales, or is my memory failing COMPLETELY? If it is, what a lovely surprise that you are a driver, and a darn good one, from all appearances!! LOVE your horse; may I ask his history? Where you got him, and how he is bred? (In my DUMBER days, I gave away a REALLY nice minimal bay pinto colt, who would have made a superb driving horse, to the NM Boys' Ranch, because he was going to be oversized for A; I have regretted it MANY a time, and wondered whatever happened to him-he'd be around 15 by now.)

How about if we rearrange the US geography, and 'drag' you all a bit closer to central NM? Would that I could....! (You can keep your 'own' topography and climate; I would just LOVE to shorten the miles between us!!)

I have read some opinions that a 30 X 60 dressage ring would be 'better' for VSEs than the now-'customary' 20 X 40 one--esp. for the taller minis....any of you all have thoughts on this? Does the 20 X 40 truly give room to properly perform?
default_whistling.gif
:

Dr. Pam--is the silver bay B you drive any relation to Dusty? Sure looks a lot like her in photos....and I recall you saying Dusty'd had a foal.

Drive on, you guys--drive on--and congratulations to you all!

Margo

Leia, thanks for the all the kind words. I was hoping we would at least look like we kinda knew what we were doing. The nice thing about having a lot of pics to choose from is that you can choose which ones to show. lol The other pics show all too well what I need to work on.
default_wink.png
: You are more than welcome to use the pics Leia, but I do believe that link will expire in 3 weeks or so. Since I have moved, I blew up a computer and cannot find my web info for posting to my website, and have had too many other things to do to worry about it. One day, hopefully after the barn gets finished, I'll get back to that.

If I didn't have friends to dress me, I wouldn't have a clue what to wear. Jennifer Ralls makes all my hats and she does a beautiful job. You should see the hat Dr. Pam got from her in February, it's stunning! I wanted it, but am only driving bays at the moment, and her hat is perfect for chestnuts. If you'd like Jennifer's contact info, let me know and I'll pass it on. Her hats are in the $50 range... less than half what I can find elswhere and great quality. She will make you any type of hat and is very adept at pulling outfits together.

My hat was pulled down a bit too far on my forehead, but the wind was blowing and I was afraid it was going to come off. lol

Al, what can I say but Toby isn't the only one whose brain gets fried under pressure. lol I put in to have the Haven Hill weekend off from work back in January. I just need to find someone to take my call that weekend (which shouldn't be a problem), and I'm set. I do wish Betty would come, but I believe that's a little too far for her to drive. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure she stays more around the Dallas area. And Carol will be there, only she'll be driving Chloefau instead of a mini. The only reason she competed with a mini at Sunrise Ridge is because she couldn't get Chloefau fit enough in time.

When I was riding horses, I started in Hunter/Jumpers, but then moved to combined training. When I trained dogs, I competed in 3 phase events. I have to tell you, the HDTs are defintely for me. I love having the 3 different phases to compete in and be combined for scores. I thought I would enjoy it, and I was right. It's just so much fun!

Margo, I'm not that Elizabeth, I've always been a Texas girl.
default_yes.gif
:

As to more info on Toby, ahem, I would be happy to tell you how he's bred only I have not been able to find his papers since we moved last year. lol I got Toby from my friend Cheryle Fisher, who got him when he was a weanling from someone around our area (Athens area I believe). I had taken care of Toby for about 9 months when Cheryle was moving. Toby was then a long yearling and I knew then I wanted him. Cheryle finally relented and let me have him last year at the same time we were moving. I know I have his papers somewhere as I did have them at the new house, but I have no idea where. Poor little man hasn't even been transferred yet. I don't even remember his registered name. :eek: Cheryle trained him to drive and I've been driving him since last April or May.

I'm all too aware how very lucky we are to have driving events within reasonable driving distance. For that I'm very thankful!

I'm so glad everyone had a good time inspite of the rain! I was the one that greeted you and checked your coggins at the front. So I'm sure I met each of you.

I have competed at Sunrise Ridge with a VSE for 5 yrs. This is the first year I didn't compete, but chose to design and judge one of the hazards. I'm sure those of you that competed rememeber it. It was #7, the Flowers "Trena's Garden". I had a great time designing and judging. REALLY learned a lot. There is a lot more "hand's on" than I expected!

It was definately muddier than I've ever seen it. We did have a blizzard one year and had to cancel and had a down pour all day another time and it was also canceled. At least we got to have the Trial after all. (Behind the scenes it was if-y on Friday). Parking was not as bad this year since they have all that gravel on top of the hill, but in years past, we had get the tractor out and pull everyone up to the road!

Sunrise Ridge is great HDT/CDE. I have always enjoyed driving it. It's absoloutley beautiful in the spring. Did any of you see the turkey and deer running around? Either of those will get to my guys everytime! Oh, the memories!

Anyway, glad everyone had fun and there were no injuries, even the run-away was fine (once we caught him!)

Back