Hey - all those who design websites

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean_B

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you know of a work-around???

I have quite a few clients who use AOL as their internet provider. And AOL stores your last visit to ALL web pages for at least 24 hours...on the premise that it will speed up your next visit to that page.

But the problem is that by doing so - even if a web page has been updated, and even if the viewer has their settings on their browser to always look for new content, AOL's cache overrides this and they cannot see the updates for approx. 24 to 36 hours. ( I hate hate hate AOL)

I have been putting hidden code on websites that should prevent them from doing that, but they have found a way to work around that. So I will keep looking for work-arounds but AOL has a team of thousands of employees. They say they are doing this to make your visits faster. I personally think it is so they can keep track of where their customers go on the web so they can tailor their advertising. Did I say I HATE aol???

Anyway - my question is - has anyone found a way to prevent AOL from doing this?????

Did I say I HATE AOL???
no.gif

Hi JEAN!!

nice to see you here!

I use AOL, first design with frontpage and then upload to ftp via IE. I can see my pages that I upload right away, just not sure what your finding as a problem since that has never been a problem for me. How are you uploading the page? I can show you what I mean, email at [email protected]

Hope I can help...

Kathleen Sullivan

sixgems.com

The problem is for those people who use the AOL browser. If they used the IE browser they wouldn't have the problem. They don't know they can use a different browser even though they connect via AOL (and is sort of difficult to explain the problem to them).....and if they use the AOL browser - they cannot see the updates for about a day because AOL stores their last visit on their servers and refuses to look at the new stuff until the cache at AOL is cleared.
wacko.gif
If I could get them to use a different browser would be great but some don't want to.

Did I say I hate AOL's browser?

Yep, I have noticed that too. It sucks, I just tell them that AOL is like that unless they use the IE browser.

Andrea

This also drove me NUTS...so I found out a trick that works...When I bring up the new page I have worked on and it hasn't of course changed...I Right Click on the page and choose the refresh option...and it resets and show the new page from then on...AOL will be the death of me yet...lol

Angie said:
This also drove me NUTS...so I found out a trick that works...When I bring up the new page I have worked on and it hasn't of course changed...I Right Click on the page and choose the refresh option...and it resets and show the new page from then on...AOL will be the death of me yet...lol
488484[/snapback]

OMG you are brilliant that totally worked for me and my newly updated pages thanks

I have AOL and do not have that problem. I update my web pages and those updates are right there. I know because I check right after I do the updates.

I just tell my clients that AOL is the devil and to switch to something better. It usually works.

Jean,

I think you misunderstood, I do view in my aol browser, just upload the page to the ftp space via the IE. I have no problems with AOL, have used it since I came on the net in 94. I can store all of my pages for free and upload to the space they provide for their users...plus they give you 7 names and you can put pages on each of them if you wish. I guess I am the odd one, I have no complaints about AOL, I get on instantly with a local number and stay on usually, rarely get bumped off. Nah, I think I will stick with it....lol

KAT

Latest posts

Back