Herd Bound Horses....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keri

Reaction score
Okay, so I've been driving Chase since last November. He's an angel at home and in the pasture when I'm driving him. Then I took him out on the road. He did good the first 3 or 4 times. Just whinnied a lot, but I figured that would eventually come to an end. Then he decided that one day he didn't want to whoa. Started rearing and what not. So off came the cart and I started ground driving him on the road. Back to the same crap he was doing in the cart. But I've been at it off and on for about three weeks and he's doing relatively good (weather isn't helping). Then he decided he wasn't going to walk on the way back. So I started working circles with him on the road and making him whoa. Needless to say, he's driving me up the wall. Then last week I was headed out the canal road that leads to the road I drive him on and the dog followed me. So I took her back and decided I didn't want to walk all the way back out there. So I worked him in the round pen. Perfect Angel! Stood there for minutes on end and did everything he was suppose to. I also worked him in the pasture today and he did great! So I know he's just herd bound/barn sour (which I don't understand becuase none of the others like him). Is there anything I can do different to break this?? He should be driving beautifully by now with as many hours as he has into him, but this bad habit is stopping us from progressing. Should I stall him away from everyone or just continue to do what I'm doing?? He's been to shows all by himself all last year. And I'm guessing if I take him in the ring with other horses, he may be just fine. But I don't want to chance that. Don't really have anyone else to drive with as I'm a bit isolated from other club/driving members. And I don't like the fact that he can't do this on his own. So I don't want to really teach him to do it with other horses. Ideas???

Lots of horses are barn sour. They would much prefer to spend days out in the field with their friends than pulling our butts around in a cart!

You need to work on his confidence. Make every time out end on a good experience. Don't unharness in the same spot every time.

If he rushes home - work him hard in and around your barn yard while still in the cart, and then take him back out. You don't have to go 10 miles and I don't know what your area is that your driving in, but if he seems to be going willingly make it a short drive. He if rushes again, repeat. It may take several trips back and forth to make him realize Hey it's easier to do what she says! If he's going to be a jerk, get out of the cart and hold him there. The first time he goes out willingly and walks back. I always make my guys walk the last mile back to the barn no matter how much of hurry I am in.

It really sounds like he needs a lot more round pen so he is responding perfectly every time before you take him out.

I agree with Ruffian, Something that I do to every horse before I begin driving training is take them on long 1mile walks through the fields, woods. It really helps with the bond between horse and human, it seems like they really get confident and feel "safe" with you especially when we kick up a deer or a scary rabbit
default_wacko.png
or even around that big horrible bolder! LOL I don't know if you have just taken him on walks like that but it helps for me big time especially when I have so many, I don't need set-backs. It's also good exercise for the both of us
default_wink.png

Hope it gets resolved soon!

We live on an acre. I have a 1/4 acre pasture that I drive all mine in before I take them out to be sure they behave. Then we have a dirt canal road that runs behind my house and a few other houses before it comes out to a paved quiet road. He drives and responds perfect at home (in the pasture and round pen). Then he even responds and drives great on the canal road. But as soon as we hit the paved road, that's when he switches modes. I've taken him on hand walks on it before. I do all my horses so that I know they won't spook at barking dogs, horses, cars, etc. And he's not spooking (we've had dogs and cars pass us just fine). So then he started acting up after a few times driving. So that's when I switched to ground driving him on that paved road. And I'll ask him to whoa, etc. on both canal and the paved road on the way too and from our house. But the only place he misbehaves is the paved road. So that's why I'm assuming he's barn sour. I generally take him out for roughly a mile round trip on our ground driving. And I switch up taking the overpass bridge and taking the frontage road once we hit that part of the road. It was about 2-2.5 miles of driving before that.

I only ground drive--but I have delt with barn/herd sour. I practice what John Lyons suggests--take the horse a short distance away from the herd, then return to the fence, then away, then back. Repeat this going a bit further each time. Eventually--they get tired of geting worked up about it and go along happily. Works like a charm.

Get two buckets and put just a little bitty tiny handful of food in each one.

Then stash them along your way in the direction away from the barn prior to your drive.

Let him have a little treat along the way and then as you reach the destination another one from the bucket. Pretty soon he will figure out that there are rewards out there to be had and he'll look forward to those trips down the road.
default_wub.png

I like that idea Marty as most of our horses love food/treats.

A little reward for him being brave.

Also try adding in some obstacles to take his mind off of whatever he is thinking about. It gives him something to look at and do, maybe he is getting bored and not barn sour, no harm in trying.

Hmm...good idea Marty! He loves treats and I reward him after we get home from our ground drive. But maybe if I reward him along the way, he would get the idea that he can do this on his own. I'll have to try that! Thanks!!!
default_saludando.gif

I think Marty's is correct about treats, that is why he wants to come back home.

So great ideal only treat him out on his drive nothing when he gets home, except, a nice hug...
default_wink.png

I would never give treats when the horse is bitted up. Harness and bridle=work. When you work you do get praise but never a treat. When I am out driving I never keep the same routine. Mix it up a bit and never let him antisipate what you want. Even if he does something you were going to ask of him (such as a turn) before you ask him take him back around and pass where you were going to turn. I had this problem with my cliant the first time she drove him with me there. They came up the road and he turned into her driveway. She was going to ask him to turn in but then when I told her to pull him back out she just let him go in. I had to take him back out and only turn in when I said to. I also make them walk when we turn onto the road home is on. Then to keep him from just stopping when we turn to go home, I will then ask him to trot and pass home. I was always told with my big horses as I was taking lessons and in 4H as a kid "Never let your horse run home. He will turn barn sour." I would tend to think this is true for the minis too.

I would be very careful driving any horse on the road that only has been harness trained since last year. Your horse is still new to driving and has lots to learn. Call me paranoid, but does not sound too safe to me. Remember horses are flight animals. I teach 4-H kids to drive my horses and we start out practicing in a completely fenced in area just in case the kid loses control. I have found a good exercise for both the horse and driver, is to load up the horse and take it to a local park or fairgrounds, somewhere safe from traffic, this gives the horse and driver a chance to drive and practice the different gaits in an unfamiliar environment for the horse. Good practice for going out to shows. If possible, get someone else with a horse/cart to come along and practice driving together. Again good practice for the show ring.

If the place you are having problems is the paved road. sounds like he doesn't like the sound or the feel of the pavement.

Try and find a place where you can cross a paved road in a quiet area, and try to work him there for 5-10 minutes, and then go for a nice relaxing drive. Or at least walk him on the pavement. I've had some very well trained horses spook first time they saw pavement and those BIG HORRIBLE GONNA EAT ME ALIVE Yellow lines!!!

Well, got a few suggestions, we'll see what works on him. He's a different type of horse as far as learning goes compared to the others I've taught. So I have to try an array of different things. Just ran out of ideas.
default_wacko.png
Thanks for the suggestions!
default_saludando.gif

Okay, I ground drove him in the pasture yesterday and drove him today. Then afterwards, I tied him up and made him stand for over a half and hour. He wasn't a happy camper. He does everything perfect as far as cues/whoaing in the pasture. So I think I'll try it out there one more day and then venture back out to the road, but bring him home and tie him up afterwards. Hopefully it works.
default_unsure.png

Back