HELP !

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
OK,, I had the Vet out because Theia was acting strange last night... and she said it was uclers.

OK... So I was the bad one and did not look at the tube. She gave theia what she said was ulcer guard but did not know at the time it was really quest...was tired and did not look. Then I gave her the 2nd does of what was suppposed to be Ucler guard this morning.

So I just had a double does of Quest go into her.

Have not used this Vet before and do not have access to another one right now. Please tell me what I can give her to cancel this stuff out.

Please... anyone....??????

Needless to say I called her back up and told her anything happens to Theia she would be hearing from me.

Now I have to change my plans today to keep an eye on her. First day since we got here my son was going to meet other Homeschoolers. Flippen wonderful.
default_frusty.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on Folks... any ideas on what I can do,, if anything?

Other than not trusting Vets any more?

Thank you Whitewave.

WOW your vet doesnt know the difference between Quest and ulcergaurd?? That is plain scary but I would think there isnt much you can do but wait now.. and maybe call Ft Dodge and see what they say arent they the ones who make Quest? I would ask them what they advise.. keep us posted

Lisa.. I am sooo scared. All I am going to do is sit here and watch her. Gees I hate this.

Do you have Fort Dodges phone number?

MA,, that is the other Scary part I called her this morning and told her she gave Theia Quest.. and she said she told me last night. Bull *****. She said she gives that for Ulcers. Another bull **** I heard her last night very clearly say she needed to give Theia Ulcer Guard!

I told her anything happened to Theia I would be contacting her again.

There is another Vet in the Practice. I will call them when they open at 9am and talk with the other Vet.

I have Charcoal pills.. wonder if she would eat them? Sure could not hurt to try.

I think you need to call your vet and tell her that it was NOT ulcer guard, but Quest!

It may be too late to make a difference but you could give him mineral oil. It does coat the stomach and digestional tract and would make it difficult for the paste to be absorbed.

A vet would also be able to help with something. When a horse has eaten something toxic, don't they give them a form of charcoal???

Good luck and I'll be praying that your guy is okay!

MA

PS: oops sorry.......just noticed that your mini is a GIRL. And that you already called the vet. Didn't the vet have a suggestion for you???

No MA... she said Theia would be just fine.

Guess the Vet doesn't read the labels.
default_torch.gif
:

Call this number 1-800-533-8536

This is the number for that company that I used when I had troubles with them.

Then I would get on that vet like flies on a cow pattie.

Usually for poison control the first thing that is done is activated charcoal but I really have no idea what can be done in a situation like this.

If you don't have another vet to ask I think the best thing to do is contact the manufacturer or vet school for possible overdosing info ....... After a vet gave us ear mite medicine for our horses eye (caused an ulcer) back in the 80's I always verify now................... Best of luck to you - I know you are scared.

I don't want to say don't worry...but I want to let you know that she CAN be okay. I never wanted to post this because I was afraid of all the flaming I'd catch for it, but here goes...

My husband had wormed my mini gelding with Quest (several times) and I did not know he was using it. I told him to get ivermectin (but hey, who am I & what do I know
default_wacko.png
: )

He uses it on his big horses, so he just did the same for him, he didn't know any better. Granted, Bigs is an "oversized" mini...he weighs in at about 350 (probably more now), but he is STILL a mini.

When I found about it I nearly had a heart attack, he had done it for like three wormings in a row (starting early this year). But Big Man is just fine, and looks great. No problems whatsoever, but a Quest worming on him will NEVER happen again!

I'll say a prayer for your little girl & hope she has an outcome like Big Man!

a friend of mine said give her Mineral oil and maybe a little pepo bizmal (spelling) ..and load her down with hay no grain .....She had a vet do the same thing (she was not home her huband was) and she freaked out on the vet ..the bill was taken care of by the vet... She gave her mineral oil and loads of Hay and watched her like a hawk and she was fine.....

Best of Luck..How is she doing now ?????

Arggg..was this horse on a regualr worming program? I believe the true danger of QUEST is a worm overload, that gets killed off all at Once.

Good luck and keep us posted..
default_rolleyes.gif
: :saludando:

If you have any Bio-Sponge around that's what I'd be giving her.

If not, the charcoal may help if you can figure out the dosage, but don't give it unless it's straight charcoal with nothing else added.

Mineral oil may also help.

Hope everything turns out ok. Sending good thoughts!

OK called FD. Talked to their Vet there. They are going to Report the Vet that Gave that much Quest to Theia. They told me Quest is not for Ulcers, of course I already knew that. She said she can't say anything about anothers Vet way of doing things.. but I think when she said.. "Oh Christ" kind'a said it all.

The only thing they said might work is lots of mineral oil. So will be doing that today. If she is OK in the next 24 hours she should be OK. But there is nothing they can really do. Sigh ~

Theia is walking around slowly and not really wanting to eat. In fact after oiling her I tried to get her to eat some grass and she really wasn't interested. So I put her back in with her mother. Will just watch her and oil her every few hours.

This is worse than Mare stare.

Arggg..was this horse on a regualr worming program? I believe the true danger of QUEST is a worm overload, that gets killed off all at Once.

Good luck and keep us posted..
default_rolleyes.gif
: :saludando:
Yes, she is wormed every 8 weeks. She was wormed only now.. 4 days ago.

Thanks everyone,, I will hope for the best.
default_bye-sad.gif
:

I'm glad you called FD - they have helped me out too, when I had a vet overdose one of my horses on another drug. :no:

Just some thoughts: short term - you may want to contact your local equine hospital and discuss it with them, too, and see if you should bring her in for observation.

Long term - you can report this to the AAEP. I understand it was an accident, but this is your baby.

Liz R.

FD is going to report this vet to the FDA.

Will also be calling Said Vet's office and talk to the boss person.

I have no idea if we have a local Equine Hospital or not. Not sure how to find out??

:new_shocked: OH NO!!!! :new_shocked:

Shari, will be sending prayers and postitive thoughts to your poor Theia, that everything turns out okay!

Nancy

Not to frighten you put we gave quest in the afternoon and he colic by morning so within 12 hours Severly.

CAll 1877-825-7325 McIntosh Pro Line ( this is a paste 911 Emergency ) I know from experience that this might have saved his life.

Excellent stuff to have on hand, only been out for a year and half, helped my mare after she had colic signs.

Racing horses have been using it for colic and is a blessing. All Natural not medicated.

Thinking of you and Prayers coming your way.

Latest posts

Back