HELP !

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you call your vet's office, they can direct you to the closest equine hospital. The only reason I'm suggesting this is I remember that when my cat ate 1/2 a box of Heartguard dewormer (for dogs), he was put on an IV flush for 48 hours to help move things quicker through his system. I understand we're talking different drug/different animal, but I just wonder if that would help Thea.

Best,

Liz R.

OMG Shari, I hope your filly will be ok. Oregon State University has a great equine hospital, I don't know their ph #, but I remember a few times we hauled our horses there, it's in Corvallis at OSU, I am sure you could find the # online.

Wow, this is just scary, I will be thinking of you & say a little prayer, please keep us posted.

My God, Shari--how frightening!! First-how much did the vet give last night, and how much did you give this morning? "Quest" is touted to be 'best' at the removal of encysted small strongyles(which apparently, it actually isn't...)-and from everything I've read, the biggest problem with it for minis is not a big worm kill-off(which CAN happen in a horse, especially young stock, that has a big roundworm load, but not specifically from using "Quest"), but instead, because "Quest" is VERY dose-specific-VERY little room for error in determining how much a horse may weigh, and dosing accurately for that body weight. The fact that what she got was at two different times *may* be a help-at least it wasn't all at once! BE SURE to keep the container she gave you, and write down everything you recall about her visit, instructions to you, and actions of last night. I really have no advice on what to do to counteract; Fort Dodge's vet and/or a COMPETENT equine vet should be your best bet there. Do be careful dosing with mineral oil, not to get it down the wrong 'pipe'--most horses simply aren't that cooperative with the lay owner trying to dose with mineral oil-however, if it is the only thing to do, then do it slowly and carefully, and be prepared for it to be a slow, tedious and messy task! IMO,without sedation, and a properly placed stomach tube, it is quite difficult for a lay person to get enough mineral oil into a horse to really do any good; I might be considering taking her to the nearest equine hospital to have this done, if it seems to be the clearly best course of action.

Will be pulling for your mare to be fine, for sure...please, keep us updated.

Margo

Shari,

Two equine hospitals fairly close by --

Columbia Equine in Troutdale/Boring, and

Willamette Valley Equine Hospital in Aurora

...both are excellent.

Could you let me know which vet and which clinic this was? If it's who I think, they have at least one extremely wonderful vet, and at least one blithering idiot...

I hope Theia pulls through this with no problem -- I'll be thinking of you both. Call me if you need some moral support! (503 543 7347)

susanne

OMG,, the Vet that saw Theia last night.. was the head Vet and owner. I still called and complained. Not that it will of done any good.

Margo,, my minis are taught to take mineral oil or what ever by mouth. So getting it into her is not a problem.

Was told to do it at the rate for minis with Colic.

I told the FD Vet, and told the other Vet at her/owners office. Will write it down too.

Sadly I do not have a truck and trailer to take her anywhere. So I need to find another Vet in the area....if there is one. Maybe Liz or Susanne would know??

Ok so this is going to sound silly but i have to ask. Could someone please tell me more about "quest" and why it shouldnt be used on minis. Both my minis are boarded at a barn away from me and i have no idea what the owner is using to worm them. When i read this post it scared me because i know he has never dealt with minis before (only full size appys) and it got me thinking that its possible he could be using the wrong thing for my little girls. :new_shocked: please please someone give me some info on this soon!

~sarah

Ok so this is going to sound silly but i have to ask. Could someone please tell me more about "quest" and why it shouldnt be used on minis. Both my minis are boarded at a barn away from me and i have no idea what the owner is using to worm them. When i read this post it scared me because i know he has never dealt with minis before (only full size appys) and it got me thinking that its possible he could be using the wrong thing for my little girls. :new_shocked: please please someone give me some info on this soon!

~sarah
Sarah,

There is a whole thread on Quest in the "Best of Miniature Horse forum" section of the forum.

Sorry, I don't know how to do a link for the page or topic.

Basically, Quest has a very small margin for error in dosing; and can be quite toxic if over-dosed.

The danger of Quest is not, as the company would claim, that it is "too good" It is actually not any better at killing worms than Ivermectin.

Quest is stored in the body fat of the animal and released over 12 weeks- that is it's main selling point- appealing to the laziness of the owner who does not wish to worm more often.

Moxidectin- the active ingredient- does kill off around 90-96% of encysteds but Fenbendazole (Safeguard/ Panacur) five day also does so, and is totally safe.

Added to all this is the fact that the overdose level is very low.

In a 1000 lbs horse this might not matter at all, in a Mini it is minuscule- it is possible to overdose even if you weigh on a machine and dose correctly, as it would rely on how much body fat the animal had- if it has not enough to store the chemical it all gets dumped into the system in one go.

So..is Theia fat?? If so you are probably going to be OK- I have used Quest and had no problems at all before I knew all this.

Have you still got the packaging??

I believe the insert says it should not be given to Miniature Horses??

If you have this, photocopy it and send it to your Vet with a cover note saying you believe they have incorrectly treated your animal with a potential poison and you wish to knew what they are doing about it.

At this point I would be polite!!!
default_smile.png

I do pray all goes well for both of you.

In a 1000 lbs horse this might not matter at all, in a Mini it is minuscule- it is possible to overdose even if you weigh on a machine and dose correctly, as it would rely on how much body fat the animal had- if it has not enough to store the chemical it all gets dumped into the system in one go.

So..is Theia fat?? If so you are probably going to be OK- I have used Quest and had no problems at all before I knew all this.

Have you still got the packaging??

I believe the insert says it should not be given to Miniature Horses??

If you have this, photocopy it and send it to your Vet with a cover note saying you believe they have incorrectly treated your animal with a potential poison and you wish to knew what they are doing about it.

At this point I would be polite!!!
default_smile.png

I do pray all goes well for both of you.

Yes, Theia is a little overweight. She got a 1000lb dose for a 250lb mini. Not good.

Yes, still have the tube the Vet gave me. Now FD has the batch number.

The FD Vet it can cause neurological problems if an over dose is given. I am watching for that. Other than giving Mineral oil to help grease things...there is not much I can do she said but wait.

I called again...and basically said what you going to do about it. What I got from the other Vet is that maybe the Owner/head Vet was tired. Not an excuse in my books. Have been stern but polite at this point. What I do tomorrow depends on how Theia is doing. They Bloomin better not bill me.

Off to go oil her again.

Thank you so much everyone for your posts. It is helping.

Good luck with Theia... how scary for you!

My thoughts and prayers are with you on this one.

Denise

Silversong Farm

thank you so much everyone for your help i appreciate it greatly. I will most deff. be contacting the owner of the barn to make sure things are done correctly.

Shari, go back to PAGE 1 and look at what you wrote there.

You said that Theia was acting strange and that is why you called the vet out in the first place.

Not saying that she is not having or going to have a reaction to Quest, don't have a clue,

but I think that you might take into consideration that Theia was not well when she got the dose of Quest

you might want to have her seen anyhow. I hope you can get her to a hospital or another vet. I'm so sorry

about this.

:new_shocked: Prayers and best wishes for Thea and you to Shari. Sounds like that vet need to retire.

Marty,

Yes,, I know I had the Vet out for Theia being off. But I honestly think it is her teeth bothering her. And I told the Vet as such. She told me horses don't stop eating because their teeth hurt. Ya right....guess I have seen things she hasn't. I wanted her to look anyway...but she would not.

I know how Theia was acting before she got over dosed.

What I am looking for is stumbling, head shaking, not being able to stand...that kind of thing from the Over Doses of Quest.

Not the problem she was having before the Vet came out.

Giving Quest to a horse that does not need it.. even by mistake... saying she might have an Ulcer...but not scooping or scheduling a scooping to make sure and giving Med's for an Ulcer.. that turns out to be a big over Dose of Quest wormer instead. There is a Big Difference between Ulcer Guard...and Quest wormer.

The warnings on the tube of Quest, now that I have read it has a warning for minis and not to give it to a horse in distress.

Am looking and calling around with different Vets. As soon as I can get one... that comes recommended by other mini people in the area,, I will get he/she out here as soon as they can.

Was hoping I would get a call back from that Vets office.. saying.. I am sorry,, here is what I can do to help.

But no such luck.

:new_shocked: Prayers and best wishes for Thea and you to Shari. Sounds like that vet need to retire.
Thank you!!

And Yes, I agree with you about that Vet needing to retire.

But I honestly think it is her teeth bothering her. And I told the Vet as such. She told me horses don't stop eating because their teeth hurt. :eek:

saying she might have an Ulcer...but not scooping or scheduling a scooping to make sure and giving Med's for an Ulcer.. that turns out to be a big over Dose of Quest wormer instead. There is a Big Difference between Ulcer Guard...and Quest wormer. :eek:

Oh my word....that vet is unbelievable

I don't know what to say, but prayers are coming your way for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please keep us posted on Theia and I hope you have good luck and nothing happens to her. I know of someone who had their stallion die because of a Quest worming and I know it shouldn't be used on minis. The dosage has to be so accurate for the weight of the horse. Will be waiting for further posts.

Shari,

I have just now read this! I can not believe that a vet would be that irresponsible and careless. You have got to be just worried sick for little Theia.

I will keep Theia and you, also in my prayers.

Latest posts

Back