HELP !

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much everyone....it is helping a lot to have your support. She is still the same...not worse,,but not better either. So I guess that is good...so far.

I hope your horse will be fine. Quest is scary but it can be used very carefully by an experienced vet.

My sister's horses had very bad case of reoccuring diaharra. She would get better then get worse. An very experienced vet used Quest as a last resort with a small dosage (one time only) and it worked. If

it had been any other vet or person I wouldn't have let them use Quest. The vet is in 70s and is the most

experienced vet I have ever meet. People bring him horses and other animals from all over Ohio, Indiana,

and Kentucky because he will treat the ones other vets give up on and cure them.

Anyway, your vet sounds like a quack. I have never heard anyone making the mistake of using Quest instead of Ucler Guard. I do hope that some action is taken to remove the vet's license. I do pray your horse will be just fine. I hope you find a great vet to replace this awlful one.

Freida

First and foremost, sending prayers and positive thoughts for your filly to have no ill effects, and to recover very quickly from whatever was bothering her in the first place.

If you want to take action....

Once she is right again, you can contact your state's Vet Board to find out how to submit a formal complaint. Veterinarians are granted their licenses by individual states. It takes A LOT to get a license pulled, but my experience has been that just one complaint, presented correctly, will initiate an investigation and corrective action. It can serve as a wake up call to the vet to get their poop in a group, so to speak.

BEFORE you send the letter, call the vet and ask to get a copy of ALL of your animal's files, not just the filly's. If they say they won't, set your self up with another vet and have them request the records and get a copy that way. Keep the tube. Start a file. Have an exam done by another vet and ask for a copy of that record too. Document EVERYTHING, including the BS line she gave you about Quest being an ulcer treatment. :no: I would also record any further conversations with them, or stick to written communications.

And because I am a vindictive mother bear, I would send copies of the letter (and any response or resolution) to any equine practitioners associations the vet belongs to (AHA, etc; you can call them and ask what associations they are members of), and every bordering state's vet board. And for good measure, I might even find an animal/malpractice attorney and CC them as well. And I would not keep my mouth shut either; every person I know that owns horses would hear about it, just keep it factual.

I've been through a couple veterinary malpractice cases and would be happy to share what did and didn't work for me.

Quest really should be taken off the market, or at the very least be made an Rx only, although that wouldn't have helped you in this case. :no: Darn hard to find good vets anymore.

[SIZE=10pt]PLEASE let us know what is happening with your mare! [/SIZE]

I'm sure many of us are anxious to know. Our prayers are with you!

Melissa

Good morning.

Theia is still up right and alive Thank goodness. However walking her out to their field this morning...something is not right in the way she moves in the back end.

Did call the Head FD Vet this morning and she said Theia should be OK within 48 hours....as the unsteadyness in the back end should wear off. But she does want me to call next week to let her know if Theia is ok.

Will call Liz's Vet today,, not that he can do anything. Just hope he is willing to come out this far.

Also have a email into the very good but Very spendy equine dentist to have her teeth done. So if anyone one is interested in doing a "Teeth" party... let me know.

Will look into filing a complaint with the state board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keeping Theia in my thoughts and prayers that she makes a full recovery. I know how scared you must be. I cant believe what your vet did. I do think this sounds like it could have been a tooth problem . Corinne

Shari, I'm so glad that Theia is holding her own, and I hope she continues to improve. My first thought this morning was of her, so I had to come on here and check.

susanne

Thank you guys.

keeperofthehorses, I have filed a complaint to the Vet board of Oregon. Will see what happens.

Also now have a detailed letter written up and saved.

Will give Maggie a break in her driving so Theia will not get stressed out when I take her mother out and not her.

Shari, so sorry to hear you are going thru this with your little mare. This is the kind of thing that should NEVER happen! I am sending healing thoughts to your little Theia.

So glad you made the complaint to the state board. What happened there was complete ignorance on the part of the vet, and they are regulated to keep yahoos like that out of the profession or at least looking over their shoulder.

Good Morning, just wondering if you can give us an update on how your mare is doing?

You both have been in my thoughts and prayers..
default_pray.gif
:

Latest posts

Back