Help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyndyna

Reaction score
Ok everyone I need help with a mini problem. My stud has started scratching all the hair off his neck, face and a little on the side of his barrel. He was fine 2 weeks ago. I have bathed him and seen no signs of little bugs. I don't understand why he is rubbing it off but apparently he is only scratching when he is in his stall at night. I wormed him with pyrantel on Saturday also just in case it was a worm issue. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on?

Do you use shavings in his stall? What type? Did you start with a new batch about the same time the itching started? If so, could be allergies to the bedding.

Even if you don't see bugs, it could still be bugs.

Also could be a bacteria or fungus, I would bath him in microtek (sp?) that stuff works great on a lot of different things

Ok I will look for some microtek. New shavings came in around the 7th. This started showing up around the 14th so maybe? But it is from the same supplier etc.

Oh and they are pine shavings.

ditto... micotek shampoo, can use spray as touch up after, but start with a bath.

If you cannot find that micotek shampoo, get RID from Walmart or local pharmacy. It is for lice, but it is very effective, imo, for other minute varmints/bacteria.

I've also had very good results with vaccuming my horses. He may not like it at first, but mine seem to enjoy it now. I think it is effective at removing pollen/allergens without having to bathe.

Good luck; that is a difficult problem to deal with!

Hmmmm. My little mare is doing the same thing. Just started a few days ago. I have looked and see nothing. Just came from the vet. The only thing different is I gave them Timothy hay. She is about to scratch her whole neck off. I think I will try the rid stuff.

I have one of those too! Its very upsettingto watch her drive herself crazy. I really don't know what it is and I've done a process of elimination time and time again. The food was one culprit and then I finally tried some human medicated shampoo. I think she is allergic to certain shampoos and conditioners especially if they are scented in any way. We also have those crazy no-seeums and she seems to slow up a lot when she's under the fan.

We have a "no-see-um" type "bug" that lives in the sand here in Florida. Since mine were on dry lot all of the time, and our ground is primarily sand, I had several horses that seemed affected by this little creature.

I would get some cheap powder designed for mites and lice from Tractor Supply, and powder them up, and dose them with a double dose of Ivermectin. I would do it 2 weeks in a row, and it seemed to give relief and solve the problem. It seldom came back in the same year, but did often come back the next year. It didn't affect all the horses, but some seem more prone to being affected by it.

Just an idea.
default_whistling.gif

Latest posts

Back