Help with ideas for 2009 show season

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodsnanny

Reaction score
We have our nomination of officers for our local club next Saturday and also will discuss some of the possible ideas for the 2009 show season. As you know from my previous posts winter here lasts through the end of April so I want to suggest a Fuzzy Wooly Show for Early May but would like to have some different Fun events to propose. First of all I am going to suggest a rule of no body clipping and a prize for best groomed without clipping. I would also think it would be fun to have a prize for hairiest horse and longest whiskers I have also heard of an egg and spoon race and pole bending but not sure how that is done. So Im asking for help in coming up with some ideas if you were going to have a fun Fuzzy Wooly show what other categories should there be and what kind of fun classes can you come up with? Thank you in advance for possible ideas. We have many members who are shall we say over 40 so classes unique for them would be good too.

Nita

Last edited by a moderator:
Well so far 6 people have looked at this and NOONE has any ideas. Come on Guys have some fun with it.

OK, OK, I always have ideas.

Hands free obstacle class - there were a lot of entries in this at the Linda Best Benefit Show in September and it gives people in snowy country lots to do over the winter to train for it!!! Set up like a halter obstacle course except NO LEAD ROPES and NO TOUCHING. Clicker training was popular and a generous time limit was set in which to complete the course. They had live chickens in a cage as one of the obstacles - for those that got that far.

Disciplined rail class: This can be either fun (run like Simon Says) or a good class for beginners, or can challenge the best, depending on how it is run. It is run something like a command class, leading your minis on the rail, except you aren't eliminated for mistakes. Almost anything goes - walk, trot, CANTER (on the correct lead), halt, set up and pose, back, do it from the "wrong" side, one hand on top of your head, etc. Then you could also have people turn their minis on the haunches or forehand, sidepass several steps toward the center, and then back out... The sky is the limit.

They also did pole bending and barrels at that show - run just like the regular ones except you lead your mini through the course (or in our case, found someone else to do it!). Fastest time wins.

You can always do liberty...

Just thought of something else - if you have a hard and fast rule about NO body clipping, what if someone has another show that they HAVE to clip for? Maybe not likely, but you never know, especially in May.

The most fun thing I have ever witnessed at a show is the "Dinner Bell Derby"! The class consists of mares and their nursing foals. (2 people per mare/foal are required) The mares are lined up at one end of the arena, with the foals at the other end. When the judge says go, the foals are released and whichever one finds their dam first and nurses is the winner. It is sooo sweet to watch!
default_yes.gif

pole bending, that would be really fun. The handler would have to bend with the horse.

I like Targetsmom's idea of a command class, that would be awsome!

The longest tail/mane contest.

I don't have any ideas... but the Bluegrass Miniature Horse Club, in Kentucky (www.bluegrassminiatures.com) has a Fuzz Fun Show every October and they have some fun classes (since its October they also do a lot of Costume classes. But if you e-mail the President (contact info on the website) I am sure he will be able to give you their class list! If you have any problems PM me and I will get it for you!

I wish you the best and admire your involvement and creativity! Lots of Luck to You
default_wub.png

Again, Let me know if you need anything.

Natalie

We do Pole Bending with our club, as well as barrel racing. Everybody has a lot of fun.

Thank you all for your replys I have written most of you to learn more. Thanks again.

You could end it with a clipping contest

Fastest and the best job wins

Unfortunately Marty the last of April/ first of May is still MUCH too cold here to clip horses unless we want to blanket every night unless we get a VERY mild Spring. Usually it is still in the 30's at night even in early May.

The classes that I mentioned earlier are from the Bluegrass Miniature Club Fuzzy Fun Show that Natalie (Nostalgia) told you about. Like I said before that was a really fun show. It was relaxed and no pressure to "show". It was a really nice break after the show season.

I think a fuzzy show would be fun, but I am not sure I'd make a rule saying no bodyclipping. You could always have classes for fuzzy horses, and then your game/fun classes, which doesn't matter if they are clipped or not. With obstacle and jumping, it also would not matter if they are clipped. You could have a Fuzziest Horse class, best groomed fuzzy horse, etc and this would maybe make people not clip until after the show. I know we body clip everyone in late April and blanket in order to prepare for the early/mid-May shows. I like to clip a few times before the first show to get the icky gray colored undercoat gone. And, it's also much easier to blanket in layers then sit around waiting for a fuzzy sweaty horse to dry after working them. By having a no-bodyclipping rule, you may lose people who do clip earlier then some. Just my two cents. I think making it a fun show with fun classes with added fuzzy horse classes would be great fun. And this also allows people to participate who have to clip a little earlier then others.

Hands Free Obstacle class was a huge hit at the show I saw it at. A hands free jumping class could also be fun. Liberty with fun prizes for hardest to catch horse, etc.

~Jen~

Wow Julie late April we couldnt even get to paddoocks in late April this last spring and it was still COLD at night. Most of the club members are from Newport north so it is even colder where they are. We'll see this is still in the proposal stages at this point. I was just trying to get some ideas to make this simply a fun day no REAL classes at all except maybe Costume and Liberty. We have a rule anyway that horses dont have to be clipped for regular shows but I think there wont be many who will want to clip anyway because the classes I have heard of so far are not condusive to a clipped horse winning ie: Fattest horse, Horse who most resembles a buffalo, Longest tail, Longest forelock, longest mane, best groomed full coat, just was looking for ideas. Thanks for the input.

Well i'm not in maine anymore.. but i agree with Julie. When I lived there mine got clipped the end of March or sometime the beginning of April so that their show coats would be closer to "show coats" for the season (and quite frankly would have clipped earlier if i could have because their coats really weren't that nice by May). I just blanketed all the time and had neck covers for them.. mine were also on full turnout. if it got colder i'd just put on more layers for them ect. not that i'm recommending everyone do this.. just can honestly say that Julie is not the only one that clipped early and of course i lived quite a ways north.

OK you guys convinced me but still dont think a clipped horse will win many of the categories I have in mind. But we'll see if the club even wants to do this I was just trying to get ideas for possible classes Thank you to all who responded.

Disciplined Rail would be a great class! We've done it with riding horses, and it's one of the most fun to me, really makes you think and pay attention.
default_smile.png

I realize our climate is vastly different than yours, but we go to a "wooly" performance show in January, clipping not required or encouraged. Some fun things like the hairiest, and also a good slate of driving, jumping, etc. I only clipped heads & partial neck for that as I can't get a bridle over all that hair LOL.

Jan

Back