Help with feeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen in NC

Reaction score
Hi, I am wanting to switch my minis to a new feed. After talking to a Southern States nutritionist she suggested that I feed Triple Crown Low Starch. So I bought a bag but nowhere on there is their a feeding chart, so I don't know how much to give them. I have a 5 yr old that drives, 14 yr old that drives, a 2 yr old, 7 months old, and a 5 month old all mares. The only thing the bag says is that a 900 horse would get 6 lbs of the feed in addition to hay. The minis have acces to pasture, though not lush or growing at the moment, we give 1/2 pat of hay am & pm (orchard/timothy/canary) all are getting fat. So my question is, how much feed do I give each of them. ( oh and I am weaning them slowly to the new feed)Thanks so much for your kind answers. Karen in Corapeake, NC

I use the TP Low Starch also and love it. They get about a cup am and pm depending on who it is. My 29" 19 yr old stallion gets about 3/4c cuz he runs ALOT. 15 yr old 28" Maggie gets a bit more than 1/2c or so, then Halley age 3 and 34"? gets about a cup. They were just turned up on the upper pasture after a killing frost or 4 and so have graze, they get a 1/2 flake of grass hay for breakfast before going out and then a full flake (sm ones) at bedtime inside. What I have found is they are drinking more with this new feed, I don't know but suspect it is the beet in it. All are fat and sassy for winter.

Hi Karen,

I have not tried the TC low starch, I have mine on the TC Lite, my chubbies (7 and 8 y.o.) only get hay in the a.m. and 1/2 cup TC Lite and hay in the p.m. and they STILL are a bit to chubie.

I am not sure what the protien % is on the low starch, but I feed my babies up until they are 2 the TC growth formula feed with a 14% protien. I like the babies to have the extra protein for their growing needs.

I have my others who are not so chubbie on the TC complete, 1 cup a.m. and 1 cup p.m. with another cup of soaked beetpulp and thats for each horse. I separate the ones who need a little more feed so that they get their fair share. But they seem to be gaining so I will probably switch them to the Lite, it depends on how bad of a winter we get. Its hard to see their body condition with their super fuzzy coats so I also do rib cover check often.

My chubbies do not get any pasture time so I can keep them from getting any fatter, plus my pastures are just about shot. So I limit the others also. But I have some good hay, timothy and orchard so I think they are gaining on it too.

Angie

I am once again switching from Nutrena to Triple Crown feeds. If you call the number on the Triple Crown site...they will tell you what you should start out at....they were very helpful when I called. My minis range from 4 months to 15 and I have a 20+ rescue pony that they were able to suggest feed for and we also raise standardbreds....they gave recommendations for everyone. As much as I like to keep my feed program simple....I did end up getting about 4 different kinds of TC feeds...Complete, Lite. Low Starch, Senior and youth....oh well...that is 5.

I love the fact that TC is a fixed formula feed and most have the beet pulp in it.

Becky

default_saludando.gif
Corapeake.......I'm in Franklin, VA......not far away. Welcome to the forum.

Latest posts

Back