Help with Choosing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracyCCF

Reaction score
I dont post too often, but I am having a dilema, and I thought, lb forums. I am looking for a pet/hunting companion for my husband. He has been thinking about this for some time, and wants to bird hunt more. We live in central ky,a nd there are quail, grouse, and dove to hunt. He also goes every year to Nebraska, and north dakota, bird hunting ( pheasant, grouse, quail, etc.??) I am NOT A hunter, so honestly dont keep up with it. I just know he spends a great deal of money, on this habit.

Now, saying that, this dog will MORE THAN LIKELY end up more of a house dog, not a hunting companion, as my husband will hunt one week a year , and the rest of the time, it will be a pet. I am in awe of gordon setters, but this dog is to be my husbands dog. I already have my dogs. He has not had a dog since he was a small boy.

I know from asking questions, that possibilities arise for llewelin setters, english setter, english pointer, gordon setter, and several others. WHat I would want to k now, for you people who know all about dogs, what would your suggestions be for a all around bird dog/pet be. I want to be sure before I make this purchase. I would love to get it by Christmas, but no real hurry. If any knowledgeable dog people, could guide me in the right direction. Thank you for any insight.

Hey Tracy,

I am sure you will get a multitude of different answers as everyone has thier favorites.

If your husband is into any kind of waterfowl hunting then you should consider a lab type of dog. Labrador Retriever, Chespeke Bay Retriever, possibly even a Golden REtriever but then you have the longer coat to deal with. They have the webbed toes for swimming. All of these dogs are also wonderful upland bird dogs and all have wonderful temperments and make terrific family dogs.

The setters are nice, they tend to be more ..........energetic? LOL So, you have to get that training in from the word go with them and stay with it. Setters can also be distracted if you do not train them not to be. They also tend to stray more than the retriever breeds from my experience. But, they can also be wonderful dogs as long as they get their exercise and have someone with them and get the training. I also would not recommend a chocolate lab, if you were to choose the lab breed, go with a black or any shade of yellow.

In my own opinion, the retriever breeds tend to calm and focus much easier than the setter breeds. Setters can certainly do it too, but from my own expereince it seems to take longer and they seem to need more intensive training to get teh job done.

JMO

Stacy

cleotis.jpg

If it's going to be mainly a pet and in the house think about a bloodhound
biggrin.gif
Don't laugh! I got a bloodhound (Cleotis) for Christmas last year and he's the BEST! I love my little terriers but from now on bloodhounds ARE my breed.

They are AWESOME tracking dogs, without training at all my guy is on it, bunnies, meter readers, gas company, pigeons, pheasant, if they've been here he tracks their path. He's also very easy to call of the trail, was SUPER easy to house break ( took 3 days at three months old.)

He plays maybe 5 minutes (like having a horse in the house!) and then he's asleep. He learns anything you want super quick and really doesn't shed except for two times a year.

He's a big goof, loving, not a mean bone in his body and to top it off he's probably the CUTEST thing I've seen.

He rides great in the truck, lets the terriors hang from his ears (my 8 pound female rat terrior is boss in the house and he submits to her).

His baying cracks me up, it's so mellow, the opposite of the sharp sound of the terriers, and it scares the SNOT out of people that come to the door!

At least look into it, they are just SO neat!

Oh, and he is not a slober puss, he really is dry mouthed.

BTW, sorry for the spelling terrior, lol, but I always think of them as my little terrorists
rolleyes.gif

KJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Labradors are great and if you have kids they are kid friendly. Short hair and excellent hunting dogs.

Christy

Then, there is always a MIX breed.....

Years ago when my husband used to hunt birds -- chuckars primarily, I got him a Irish Setter/ Lab cross. He was a wonderful dog and bonded to Larry immediately.

For hunting, "Buffy" would POINT (the Setter in him) and then run out and RETRIEVE (the lab part of him) !
laugh.gif

We trained him to hand signals and this has continued with all of our dogs since.... which turned out to be perfect for a couple of dogs we had later on who in old age went deaf.

MA

envypoodles said:
Standard Poodle! I kid you not. The Poodle is the original "versatile hunting dog."
Check out http://www.vipoodle.org

A little History, pics. included:

http://www.poodlehistory.org/PDUCKGU.HTM

... and an action shot:

http://www.vipoodle.org/images/bmpie.jpg

522109[/snapback]

yes.gif
yes.gif
yes.gif

Our standard poodle is a hunting fool he loves upland game and enjoys waterfowl as well....they don't shed so great house dogs......BUT to be a good hunting dog they have to be pretty keyed up ...which I do not particularly like
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
.....our standard even beat out a bunch of labs at a hunt trial in the upland game division...it was only his second trial.....made some lab owners mad
wink.gif

After re-reading your post, I'd also like to add that Christmas isn't that far away. A little over a week doesn't seem like enough time to me for you to make an educated decision on what breed is really right for your family, PLUS time to find a good pup. Please reconsider your timeline and really look into what you're wanting to get into. (You can always put the promise of a puppy under your tree for now!)

As you are probably aware, almost all breeds of dogs are plagued with the potential of being born with or developing several serious health problems. Those cute and "cheap" puppies in the paper probably come from untested stock and will likely also lack the drive and conformation your husband will want and need for a good hunting companion. Good sporting conformation, stamina, soft mouths and drive are NOT something that is inherited "just because"--people do breed specifically for good hunting dogs.

If your husband is serious about his sport (even if it's just one week a month), he won't want to look like an "amateur" tagging along with a poorly-bred dog. And if you're serious about wanting a healthy companion, you'll want a pup who came from a consciencious and responsible breeder. A good place to start your search would be at www.akc.org Once you've decided on a breed or breeds, each breed club has a website and will offer breeder referrals. You might also want to look into breed rescue if hunting isn't really that big of an issue (just in case re-training doesn't work out).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading some responses now and came across something I'd like to quote and talk about: "I also would not recommend a chocolate lab, if you were to choose the lab breed, go with a black or any shade of yellow."

A Lab is a Lab is a Lab. One by any other name (or color) would be just as sweet so long as it's well-bred and/or trained right. "Chocolate" Labrador Retrievers are just a color variation, not a different breed. Not choosing a Lab on color alone would be a big mistake, IMO, if you decided that the breed is truly right for you. The way I see it, it would be like not choosing a Miniature Horse because it was palomino or gray...

I have been looking for a few weeks. So far, I have looked at a llewelin setter, from a hunting dog owner that was recommended from a trainer at the hunting preserve my husband goes to every year. Good looking dogs, and might add, very expensive dogs, but a very reputable owner. Then last week I looked at a griffon ( pointer) , but I didnt care for them . Then I looked at a english pointer yesterday, that is "in foal". I am partial to a gordon setter , but cannot find any breeders within about 6 hours from here. I liked the poodle idea, ( we have a toy poodle) and honestly hadnt given that any thought. We have loads of lab and retriever breeder around here, but i dont know enough about pedigrees to know the difference in "bred for pets" vs. hunting bloodlines.

My most important concern is that it is viable with our dogs we already have. Although from what I understand , these breeds are all docile animals. I am wanting to spend somewhere between 350-850.00 dollars for a pup. I would go up to about 1500-1800 for a "trained" dog. I appreciate any responses, and if you have one of these, let me know.

envypoodles said:
I was reading some responses now and came across something I'd like to quote and talk about: "I also would not recommend a chocolate lab, if you were to choose the lab breed, go with a black or any shade of yellow."
A Lab is a Lab is a Lab. One by any other name (or color) would be just as sweet so long as it's well-bred and/or trained right. "Chocolate" Labrador Retrievers are just a color variation, not a different breed. Not choosing a Lab on color alone would be a big mistake, IMO, if you decided that the breed is truly right for you. The way I see it, it would be like not choosing a Miniature Horse because it was palomino or gray...

522166[/snapback]

I DIDN'T READ THE RESPONSE but THEY MIGHT BE REFERRING TO THE FACT THAT TO GET CHOCOLATE IT IS A DOUBLE RECCESSIVE AND THAT THERE ARE OFTEN MORE PROBLEMS WITH GENETIC DISORDERS AND HIGH INBREEDING COEFFIECENTS IN THE CHOCOLATE DOGS....I KNOW THIS IS TRUE IN CHOCOLATE STANDARDS AND IT TOOK SOME SERIOUS RESEARCH ON MY PART TO FIND A BREEDER WITH BOTH CHOCOLATE COLOR AND WORKING BREEDING...WE HAVE A BLACK STANDARD AND MY HUBBY HAD WANTED A CHOCOLATE.......CONSEQUENTLY I KNOW OF AN EXCELLENT SOURCE FOR HUNTING POODLES IN CANADA
wink.gif

I think most of your hunting-bred/trained dogs are going to be a bit less docile than a pet of the same breed at maturity. It's also been my experience that many Labs, Poodles, Pointers, etc. do not even begin to calm down until they are at least two years old (including those that are "just pets").

You might also look into Chesapeak Bay Retrievers. Just be careful if you do decide to go with a Lab (America's #1 dog by sheer registration numbers with the AKC) and really, really research the breed and bloodlines. There are American bred Labs and English bred Labs, etc. Hip dysplasia is a BIG problem in that breed as it is in many larger breeds. Ultimately, what I'm saying here should go along with any breed you decide on. Research, research, research... and good luck!

smile.gif

[SIZE=14pt]
aktion033.gif
Yes! I agree with GERMAN SHORTHAIR POINTER. I have had both labs and GSP breed and both were excellent. They were both intelligent and very loving and great companions. My husband did about as much hunting as yours; so the dogs were great companion pets to us.
[/SIZE]

Very kid friendly and good with other small dog we had.

I really love the GSP, roan color the best; harder to find; a lot of them are liver and white but you can find the roans too; but they are more in demand so they go rather quickly down here in Texas.

The GSP has real short hair so in cold weather you may have to give them added protection. Ours always came in the house and slept by the fire on his great big bed. He was very spoiled.

Can you tell I miss him? It was just one year ago, friday after Thanksgiving, that we had to have him euthanized (cancer). He was 13.

We are now looking for another one ; but we are taking our time to find the right one. I contacted the show breeder we got our first one from and she is looking for his clone!

good luck. you could also try one of the rescue organizations; there are several I think on the web. one may be www.onpoint.com

A Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!!! Good all round level headed workers, little shedding and a medium sized dog to boot. To the untrained eye they look like "mutts" which also means no-one will try to steal them!!

They are brilliant house dogs and easy to train. They love water!!!

Llewellins are IMO a "scam" they are a colour/pattern not a breed, like Landseer Newfies, and are for some reason, expensive!!! You cannot make something a breed by shouting loudly that it is and offering your own registration. They are not AKC or any KC registered. There are studs offering dogs guaranteed to do the job- that is the kind of stud I would buy from, were i to want a setter- which I don't think you do??

Go here

http://www.nsdtrc-usa.org/

and look at Tollers!!!!

tracyCCF said:
I have been looking for a few weeks.  So far, I have looked at a llewelin setter, from a hunting dog owner that  was recommended from a trainer at the hunting preserve my husband goes to every year.  Good looking dogs, and might add, very expensive dogs,  but a very reputable owner.  Then last week I looked at a griffon ( pointer) , but I didnt care for them .  Then I looked at a english pointer yesterday, that is "in foal".    I am partial to a gordon setter , but cannot find any breeders within about 6  hours from here.  I liked the poodle idea, ( we have a toy poodle) and honestly hadnt given that any thought. We have loads of lab and retriever breeder around here, but i dont know enough about pedigrees to know the difference in "bred for pets" vs. hunting bloodlines.  My most important concern is that it is viable with our dogs we already have.  Although from what I understand , these breeds are all docile animals.  I am wanting to spend somewhere between 350-850.00 dollars for a pup.  I would go up to about 1500-1800 for a "trained" dog.  I appreciate any responses, and if you have one of these, let me know.

522169[/snapback]

First contact your local hunting/retrieving club
wink.gif
try to look at dogs from hunting kennels...as for gordons I think they are stunning and did a ton of research earlier this year....they are very very scarce in the hunting circles only a handful of GOOD REPUTABLE breeders in the country....they seem to have gone the way of the showring like irish setters but even in the breed ring they aren't common......also the breed has some problems with aggression and the "spaniel insanity disorder" cannot remember the name but the dogs essentially can just out of the blue go stark raving nuts and attack...so if you go towards gordons DO your homework and be prepared to have to ship and possibly be on a waiting list for a while.

rabbitsfizz said:
A Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!!!  Good all round level headed workers, little shedding and a medium sized dog to boot.  To the untrained eye they look like "mutts" which also means no-one will try to steal them!!They are brilliant house dogs and easy to train.  They love water!!!

Llewellins are IMO a "scam" they are a colour/pattern not a breed, like Landseer Newfies, and are for some reason, expensive!!! You cannot make something a breed by shouting loudly that it is and offering your own registration.  They are not AKC or any KC registered.  There are studs offering dogs guaranteed to do the job- that is the kind of stud I would buy from, were i to want a setter- which I don't think you do??

Go here

http://www.nsdtrc-usa.org/

and look at Tollers!!!!

522181[/snapback]

This is my husbands next hunting dog ......he is in love with the look and versatility and size........they aren't real common and he will have to wait for a good hunting bred one...but we have time the poodle still hunts and finally at age 5 he is slowing down "a little"

LOL runamuk, I have a five year old Toy Poodle who's still a pup most of the time! I'm no longer breeding them so I'm hoping to keep one of his last pups, a girl, and call her Jolie. I'm just glad they aren't Standards...
new_shocked.gif

Awww, Cleotis, you are growing up! What a love that pup is. Really cool dude!

You know, since the dog is to be your husband's, maybe you should give him a certificate good for one hunting dog and let him choose for himself. This is a very personal decision, even once the breed is chosen each pup is different.

If you do decide on a German Shorthair I have a friend who breeds really nice show and field trial GSDs and would be glad to hook you up with her.

Latest posts

Back