Help with a rescue jenny

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2t99

Reaction score
We got this jenny and her jack over the summer, she had horrible feet and major trust issues. well she has come a long way and she is one of the first ones to greet you. 2 weeks ago she came up lame, I thought one of the horses might of got her running and she strained a stifle. So I moved all the jennies to a smaller pen by themselves, she seemed to be doing a little better. She has started to walk like she has a patella problem, and it varies on which side!! It is worse on the right, which is the side she hurt. She never showed any signs of having a problem before this. I am stumped, I have had horses with stifle problems before and I am sure that is what it started as. I also had a rescue mini that had the patella problem, so I know what it looks like and this jenny is worse! At times it locks right up.

So the question is can a donkey develop a patella problem? She is a standard size and her jack does not show any signs of having a problem. He is weaned and about 7 months old.

Thanks for any input!!

Heidi

yes, a donkey can develope a patella problem. Upward fixation of the patella and stringhalt are more common in donkeys then in horses. I would have your vet check it out. Corinne

Latest posts

Back