Help with a 6 year old JACK

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Posh

Reaction score
My ex-b/f and I adopted 2 Jack Donkeys (Stallions) a year and a half ago. One for each of us. I now have both of them at my parents.

I've had them for a year and a half. They are totally up to date on Vet and farrier and dewormer, etc...

They've always had access to the barn, therefore, didn't need to be led to often... and only got halters put on for grooming and vet/farrier.

The just turned 3 year old (GILBERT) is an angel!
wub.gif
Can easily be caught for a halter, and fly mask, leads "ok"... and loves Farrier, Vet, Dewormer, ANY attention!

He's a lap dog, follows you everywhere around the paddock, and full of spunk!

The just turned 6 year old (BUD)... HATES all of the above, except... once you DO catch him, he will stand for feet being picked out, and brushed, but seems to hate people in general.

They are both still "In tact" (Stallions, AKA: JACKS)... I'm wondering if I should geld "Bud" (the 6 year old)... as I dont know what else to do! How do I get him top trust me? I've been trying FOREVER!
wacko.gif

The only "bad" situation that I know of in his life, is basically, that he hates vet and Farrier, and when we shipped them from their original home, as well as to my parents house, we basically had to PICK THEM UP and put them on the trailer.... but he doesn't try to kick or bite.... LOVES his ears being rubbed ONCE you catch him.

HELP

Should I geld "BUD"??? Will he become more trusting? I wish there was a "Donkey Trainer" around!
no.gif

If you dont plan on using them as a jack for breeding purposes, I would geld both of them. They will settle down to some degree, but it will take a little while, especially with the 6 yr old. Has he ever been used for breeding? When you work with donkeys it takes alot more patience then it does with horses, and a donkey will never forget. Donkeys are not stubborn they are just alot more cautious. Also, some donkeys do alot better with training when you only work at there shoulder level. Corinne

MeadowRidge Farm said:
Has he ever been used for breeding? When you work with donkeys it takes alot more patience then it does with horses, and a donkey will never forget.  Also, some donkeys do alot better with training when you only work at there shoulder level.  Corinne
475439[/snapback]

Thanks.... nope, never been used for breeding, although where we got them, they shared the fence line with jennets, so who knows what possibly could have happened!

I think it's the whole "Never forgets" Thing. He thinks I'm going to want to de-worm him, or give him a needle anytime I go near him, even thogh it's EVERYDAY that I got up to him (at shoulder level on my knees) to give him ear scratches.

He always thinks I have a hidden agenda!
sad.gif

Latest posts

Back