Help! problem with turnout with mare and new foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estelle

Reaction score
OK first the good news..you remember my post from yesterday about the new foal having a curve in one of her front legs..well this morning it was almost straight!! :aktion033: Thank goodness.

OK I have a problem with Whimsy and the foal...first though the vet was here and everything looks good..so that's a relief..he said when the leg had straightened out so much already that things should be fine...and I can turn them out..but until I get the wire with squares all the way around to only turn out if I was there to supervise..I have one fence line that is the 1 1/2 inch white tape, 4 strands that I need to get mesh wire up on which I will do this weekend.

Now the problem....Actually I have to preface it with this first, When I brought Whimsy home her pen bordered on 1 1/4 sides with Fancy, my riding mare. Whimsy had been charging the fence at Fancy off and on, I figured because she was so close to foaling and Fancy upset her. I talked with Hillary about it when it started and she said that Whimsy got kind of like that during the last part of her last pregnancy. I figured I would rearrange the set up so that they did not share any fenceline at all, which I did this weekend..There is only one place that is even close to the mini pen and it's a spot about 4 1/2 feet long, but Fancy is still not sharing a fenceline even there...there is a double fence that keeps them about 6 or seven feet apart.

After the vet left and things settled back down I decided to open the stall door and let them go out into the pen. Whimsy was ok at first until the foal got close to that one spot that is doubled fenced with a distance of 6 or 7 feet from the minis fenceline...then whimsy got upset started running around, herding the foal, squealing, etc.

So I decided to move Fancy to the back pen which is quite a distance from the mini pen...she is not even visible to the mini from there. Things seemed to settle down...the foal nursed, napped, whimsy ate hay. The foal got up from her nap, nursed again...and then started capering around..too cute..BUT Whimsy squealed at the baby! Pinned her ears turned around and tried to double barrel kick her!!!!!
default_sad.png
I raised my voice told her to quit and she settled down a little...later the filly was running around again and she did it again! This time she connected with one of her hind feet to the baby's neck!! Not real hard, but she was on a small hill there and it knocked the baby down. She jumped right back up and was fine..thank god! She immediately started playing again and whimsy squealed, pinned her ears, kind of charged at her and struck out with a front foot, but did not connect..at this point I put them back in the stall.

In the stall she is an awesome mommy even when the foal capers in there, but of course there is not the room to run around like in the pen...she has been absolutely fine since she has been back in the stall.

Anyone know what this is? What might be going on? Hormones? Anything I can do? The baby needs turnout time to help strengthen her legs...I just don't know what to do besides halter and leadline Whimsy and hang on to her while they are outside...any ideas folks?

I would suggest putting the big riding mare out of sight in the barn or somewhere the Mini mom can't see her.She may feel threatened by the big horse.Take the mom on a lead at first until she settles down enough to be left alone outside with her foal.New moms are sometimes nervous and it may take a few tries before she relaxes and calms down.

I would suggest putting the big riding mare out of sight in the barn or somewhere the Mini mom can't see her.She may feel threatened by the big horse.Take the mom on a lead at first until she settles down enough to be left alone outside with her foal.New moms are sometimes nervous and it may take a few tries before she relaxes and calms down.
I would agree here - our mini mares and Shetland mare share a pen with a 3 year old Clydesdale/Paint cross filly and once the mares settled into being moms and babies knew who mom was, they could resume their turnouts near each other.

Our mares and new babies initially do turnout alone to get the scent of the pasture lot and no stress from horses in their pen/vicinity. The babies, who have to develop their senses, have mom's undivided attention and guidance and no distractions.

Good luck!

Denise

Silversong Farm

But why would she attack her own foal? And this was after the riding mare WAS moved out of site. I just dont understand why she would attack her own foal for capering about????

Congratulations on the new foaly, Estelle!! Where are the pictures? Did you post them yesterday? Did I miss them?

Hope Whimsy straightens out for ya soon! She's just being protective, but being too rough about it.

yep...I just posted to it to get it to move to the first page again..the post is called help with picture posting.

Latest posts

Back