help new mini horse owner

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sihri

Reaction score
I recently purchased a miniture mare Meri Den Princess amber who is due to foal anyday now. she is triple registered AMHA, AMHR and WCMHR. I have all her papers and an AMHA registration application for the foal. I do not have any information on the sire (Meri Den Sweet Jack) and his height is missing on the application. I've tried to contact the previous owner without any luck. Does any one know of this stallion? and do I have to be a member of AMHA to transfer my mares papers and register the foal? Help!!!!!!!!!

Hmm. I think that others on the forum will be able to help you better but I will try to give you some info. Try to visit the AMHA and AMHR sites. They have paperwork you can download. I know you have A applications but you can get R papers from their website too. I dont think you have to be a member to transfer ownership but I believe one of you (either you or the previous owner) needs to be a member to register the new baby. Someone else should be able to tell you more than I can and correct me if I have said something wrong. Regardless, I would visit the web sites. Someone may be able to help you look up the stallion too but I think you need signatures from the stud owner on some of that paperwork.
default_wacko.png
heh... Like I said, someone else will know more than me but the websites are a start.
default_laugh.png

Yes, Contact AMHR. They have all the forms listed online. You will need a stallion certificate and a registration Paper. I wouldn't really worry about the World Miniature Horse Papers. I don't place much stock in them. My opinion, but someone else may come along and say otherwise.

Then go to Horsestudbook.com and sign up. You will be able to get all his r numbers, and I believe contact info for the owners. I just sent in for my stud book online for AMHR. If it comes thru, I will look it up.

If worse comes to worse send them a registered letter, requesting all his info. Let me do a little looking around, see what else I can find out.

You will certainly need the stud owners and mare owner at time of breeding signature.

Hope this helps.

There is a stallion listed on the AMHA studbook as Meri Den Sweet Jax reg. #A 85595

foal date 4/07/1997, hieght 30.75", two foals by him under the amha, current owner listed as CHARLOTTE KLOTSKO

Please make certain his reg. is listed on the application and matches the above number.

You can call the amha and inquire if the mare listed is on a filed stallions report, but the stallions report may not yet be sent in, owners have until years end to do that.

Just a word of advice, I would always make a call to the A/R registries if (1) I am purchasing on application and want to be certain the stated animal is indeed able to be registered (parents are dna'd, applicable only to amha, mare is on stallions report, current info on mare and stallion are correct and match info on application).

or (2) I am purchasing a mare in foal and want to be certain all info is current, up to date with registries and the stated mare is on the stallions report, so resulting foal can be registered, granted that I would end up with a live foal.

One question not answered yet is the membership question. For AMHA you have to be a member to conduct business with them.

No. They have non-member fees. But either registry will answer your questions before you become a member. R you must be a member to register.

There is a stallion listed on the AMHA studbook as Meri Den Sweet Jax reg. #A 85595foal date 4/07/1997, hieght 30.75", two foals by him under the amha, current owner listed as CHARLOTTE KLOTSKO

Please make certain his reg. is listed on the application and matches the above number.

You can call the amha and inquire if the mare listed is on a filed stallions report, but the stallions report may not yet be sent in, owners have until years end to do that.

Just a word of advice, I would always make a call to the A/R registries if (1) I am purchasing on application and want to be certain the stated animal is indeed able to be registered (parents are dna'd, applicable only to amha, mare is on stallions report, current info on mare and stallion are correct and match info on application).

or (2) I am purchasing a mare in foal and want to be certain all info is current, up to date with registries and the stated mare is on the stallions report, so resulting foal can be registered, granted that I would end up with a live foal.
reply from Sihri

The stallion is the correct one and She did sign the appropriate boxes I purcased this mare as a riding horse for my son and the foal she's carrying will hopefully be an added bonus. If there is any addditional information about the stallion color, other foals etc I'd really appreciate any information. I tried calling Charlotte Klotsko and the number is disconnected I believe she completely dispersered her herd.

No. They have non-member fees. But either registry will answer your questions before you become a member. R you must be a member to register.
AMHA does not list a non-member fee anymore. Unless someone can show me a current workorder that has the non-member fees. I didn't keep a copy of the work order. Just copies of all of the other papers. So, yes, you do need to be a member to do the paperwork.

The Amha lists the stallion as a Grey pinto.

I am guessing the mare is under 34" since she is A registered. Just a heads up, and you may very well already know this, but most strongly advise that a mini only carry approx. 25% of its weight. They can pull a great deal, but total gear and rider should remain at 25% or less of the minis body weight.

Being that you stated you are new to minis, some sellers convieniantly avoid telling potential buyers this fact when selling a mini.

Some can haul a bit more, but it is an area that is to be approached with caution. If you already know this, kudos for doing your homework!

The Amha lists the stallion as a Grey pinto. I am guessing the mare is under 34" since she is A registered. Just a heads up, and you may very well already know this, but most strongly advise that a mini only carry approx. 25% of its weight. They can pull a great deal, but total gear and rider should remain at 25% or less of the minis body weight.

Being that you stated you are new to minis, some sellers convieniantly avoid telling potential buyers this fact when selling a mini.

Some can haul a bit more, but it is an area that is to be approached with caution. If you already know this, kudos for doing your homework!

Thankyou for all your help she is 32" and my son is 2 1/2 but my arab mare is too big and he is some what intimidated by her size. But my I purchased amber because they bonded with each other and that is special. Thanks again

Katiean,

I stand corrected. There is no longer a fee for non-member on the 09 work orders. LOL! Suppose I should check before posting. I am a lifetime member, eventhough I only own one A horse now. All ponies here!

Just wanted to say welcome and congrats on your new mare! We need to see some pics of her!
default_smile.png

Katiean,I stand corrected. There is no longer a fee for non-member on the 09 work orders. LOL! Suppose I should check before posting. I am a lifetime member, eventhough I only own one A horse now. All ponies here!
Not a problem Ellen. I did go back and check AMHA in case they changed it again. IMO they are loosing a ton of $$ by not having a non-member fee. It was double the member fee and if someone only has 1 horse and they are not showing, it doesn't make sense to pay for a membership they will not use. Therefore, the horse ends up loosing their papers and making the unregistered horse problem that much bigger because someone doesn't join AMHA. It kind of doesn't make any sense to me.
default_wacko.png

Back