Help, my mini has a problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanaG

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas that can help my mini? Everything was fine with him one day and the next he was lame in all 4 legs, possibly hips and shoulders??? He also walks back on his heels. After a trip to the vet and front hoof x-rays we ruled out founder, at least his coffin bones aren't rotated. He doesn't show pain with the hoof testers either. The only thing that was different in the last 2 years, I tried using a horse mineral block with molassas as a binder. I took it out of the pasture as soon as I noticed his condition, it has been 1 1/2 weeks and he isn't showing much improvement. He is a cubby little guy but not considered obese. I have looked on the internet and do not find anything (other than founder) that would present like this. Anyone have any ideas? I am planning on drawng blood tomorrow for a blood panel, I can't think of anything else I can do.

Perhaps if you give more information the forum members could help you narrow down the possibilities.

Can you post a picture or a video of him?

How old is he?

How long have you had him?

Is he stabled at all or always outside?

Any chance he was hurt by another horse?

Do you drive him or do anything athletic with him?

What do you feed and how often?

Perhaps if you give more information the forum members could help you narrow down the possibilities.

Can you post a picture or a video of him?

How old is he?

How long have you had him?

Is he stabled at all or always outside?

Any chance he was hurt by another horse?

Do you drive him or do anything athletic with him?

What do you feed and how often?

Any chance he could have hurt his spine or hip? Just thought that maybe if either of these was hurt it would cause what might look like pain associated with feet when actually its with any movement at all... Just a thought anyway. Is he off his feed? Have you seen him laying down more than normal? Does he not want to lay down since this happened? If any chance of founder I would personally stop all grain and feed only free choice soaked hay until you figure out the problem. It will lower the sugar and starch intake at least while you figure out what is happening. Good Luck to your little guy.

Sorry, I know how hard it is when our babies can't tell us whats wrong. Make sure you check for Lyme disease. I had a big horse fine one day completely lame the next and it was Lyme disease. Good Luck!

I would have to say there's a very good chance that this is founder (or laminitis at this point in time)--your description sounds very much like it. x-rays taken right in the very early stage would not necessarily show anything--rotation, if it happens, doesn't necessarily occur immediately, and hoof testers don't also give a response it seems, particularly in the Minis.

In my experience, if it looks like founder, it probably is founder.

What is he on for feed? Grain? Hay? What kind? Pasture? how much grazing is there? Or are you far enough north that you have snow/frost/ice/no grass this time of year? There doesn't have to be any change in feed or anything new given to a horse to cause it to founder--and a horse doesn't have to be obese in order to founder.

If you live were there is now snow & ice, if you have little snow & icy, frozen ground, that alone can cause a horse to get sore--that's the way it is here this winter, the footing is horrible, and I do have a couple horses that are quite sore just from bruising on the ice.

Yes, laminitis.

Confine him with low sugar feed for at least a week. If you see an improvement, you will know it is laminitis.

Just had a horse with this condition. My barefoot farrier diagnosed it. The problem appeared to be in his hind end, but it was really sore front feet causing him to try and take the pressure off with his hind end. Sure enough, after two weeks confined with low starch diet, he was feeling great.

Also gave him some banamine for the inflammation/pain.

Could be laminitis, I would consult with you vet. Diet and lifestyle changes can help, as well as drugs such as Pentoxifylline and such....

I would definitely be worried! Work very closely with your vet until you can get it resolved.

It sounds like your farrier may have trimmed him too short. it shouldn't have lasted this long though.

If you want to email me privately I think I can help you.

Hugs

Bonnie

Sure sounds like founder to me and in my experience vets aren't much use in that situaltion.

There are plenty of founder topics on this forum.....just do a search and you'll find lots of info.

Back