help my filly has strangles

• Thread starter Lightning crest farm
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I told this in a previous thread. They got strangles at the barn I was boarding at. The horses on the inside barn also the horses on the shade side of the barn that had stalls that opened to the outside all got strangles. The horses on the sun side of the barn that opened to the outside did not get it. IMO sun helps in the treatment or prevention of strangles. I would apply the warm compresses to it to in courage it to drain. I wish you the best of luck.
default_wub.png

Thank you everyone for your prayers and advice she is now healing but when I went out to the barn today she was not her crazy little self bucking and running around in the paddock my barn manager is going to take her tempature but she ismuch much better...thank the lord
default_aktion033.gif

Thank you for giving the update. Good news!

Strangles can be scary........very contagious, and can kill the very young and older horses who don't have good immunity to it.

Under normal conditions with healthy adult horses, it's felt that letting it run its course is the best.

Thank you for posting your experience. The more we learn through others the better.

help... My filly has starangles she is a yearling the vet has come over but because I am only 12 the vet did not tell me if my baby could die:(
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
wish her the best and I really hope she will be all right I have two old big horses one is 21 and the other 27 do u think they will be ok to?? I just came back from a show so I'm all confused and I did not get to see her in her bad condition:(
default_sad.png
:(
default_sad.png
:(

Dont worrie but dont get to relax strangles is really hard on horses for a phillie u should ask ur parents to talk to the vet maybe they will get more info!! Make sure that you give shots to the other horses for strangles b4 they get them!! Strangles can be spread easily from horse to horse, often leading to large outbreaks with

many horses becoming infected. The infection can be spread by nose to nose contact

between horses, and via equipment shared with infected horses i.e. water troughs, feed

buckets,brushes and tack.The bacterium will survive for long periods in water troughs after

an infected horse has taken a drink from it.

Alarmingly, the disease can also be transferred through handlers, farriers and veterinary

surgeons attending the animal. Horses known as ‘carriers’ can spread the disease for up to

8 months or longer, even though they have recovered and appear clinically healthy and

normal. Your vet should of gave you anitbiotics. If he or she didn't may i suggest getting the horse checked out by another vet!! Most affected horses recover uneventfully over a period of about a week with few cases

resulting in fatal complications. More severe cases will take 3 – 4 weeks to make full

clinical recoveries. Although infection with S. equi is usually restricted to the head and

neck, in a small proportion of cases it may spread to other parts of the body where it

causes abscesses and related clinical problems. This condition is called “brat strangles”

which has a poor prognosis and is potentially fatal but i doubt she has this. It takes a lot to get this. You need to need to go to you r vet or a new vet and get meds keep them up and make sure your other horses are getting shots for strangles to prevent them!!! GOOD LUCK!!
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back