help my filly has strangles

• Thread starter Lightning crest farm
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lightning crest farm

help... My filly has starangles she is a yearling the vet has come over but because I am only 12 the vet did not tell me if my baby could die:(
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
wish her the best and I really hope she will be all right I have two old big horses one is 21 and the other 27 do u think they will be ok to?? I just came back from a show so I'm all confused and I did not get to see her in her bad condition:(
default_sad.png
:(
default_sad.png
:(

sending prayers for your yearling.

Lori

I would separate her from the other horses if at all possible

and wash your hands after you visit her before you visit the others

Strangles is nasty for sure but most horses do get it and then get over it. The best thing to do is put warm towels on the abcess to encourage it to drain. Once it drains they start feeling so much better.

I will say it is almost impossible to contain. Unless you have completely different living quarters to put the filly in chances are all horses on the farm will come down with it. Not trying to scare you but just want you to be prepared. Since they are geriatric horses do try not to touch them after you have been with the filly. keep a pan of bleach to bleach your shoes etc.

Sending good thoughts to you

Hey Lily,

I hope your filly gets better. Last time I saw her the abcess was almost gone so hoping she only has a little more time to go. Your doing the right thing by keeping the other horses seperated. I know when I boarded my horses they also got it. There isn't much you can do but make her comfortable. I also wouldn't worry about her dieing. Are you still giving her antibiotics? Horses that are diagnosed with strangles should NOT be on antibiotics because the bacteria can possibly go deeper in the body causing something called brat strangles. I don't really remember much about it because it has been quite a while since my horses had it. The good thing is that once they get it they can't get it again. Good Luck and sending prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you everyone for your kind thought I will hope she gets better:/

The good thing is that once they get it they can't get it again.
I have to strongly disagree. They can get it again and again. Also there are a couple different strains of strangles.

Kaykay,

You are probably right. Like I said I haven't read up on it too much but I have always heard that once they get the disease they are immune to it. I have had my horses around other horses who had it at the time and, maybe I was just lucky, but they never got it again. Correct me if i'm wrong though.

Are you still giving her antibiotics? Horses that are diagnosed with strangles should NOT be on antibiotics because the virus can possibly go deeper in the body causing something called brat strangles.
Strangles is caused by a bacteria, not a virus. It is highly susceptible to penicillin, provided the correct dose is administered for the correct length of time.

Strangles is caused by Streptococcus equi.

"Approximately 75% of affected horses develop a solid, enduring immunity following recovery from the disease." [uC Davis Book of Horses - A Complete Medical Reference Guide for Horses and Foals by Members of the Faculty and STaff UC Davis, Edited by Mordecai Siegal @ 1996.]

I can't give you any advice on the care of your filly but all the horses I have ever known who have had it survived. It just took some time. Try not to worry too much. ((((hugs))) for you and your filly, best wishes for her speedy recovery.

Chandab,

Thanks for correcting me. I edited my post above. Lightning Crest, hope your filly gets better.
default_pray.gif

Edited for spelling mistakes

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wish it was true that they only get it once in a lifetime. Im here to tell you that my horses got it twice unfortunately and I know of many other farms that have had it hit the same horses after having it once. Mine even got it after being vaccinated. I thought too they could only get it once until it happened to us. One had to go to ISU and that is when I was told they can get it again.

Ours got it 2 years apart.

We were first told to give penicilian and then told by ISU not to give it as it just prolongs it. One of those things I think will always be debated.

I really wish it was true that they only get it once in a lifetime. Im here to tell you that my horses got it twice unfortunately and I know of many other farms that have had it hit the same horses after having it once. Mine even got it after being vaccinated. I thought too they could only get it once until it happened to us. One had to go to ISU and that is when I was told they can get it again.

Ours got it 2 years apart.

We were first told to give penicilian and then told by ISU not to give it as it just prolongs it. One of those things I think will always be debated.
Kaykay I really trust you she is on icarian is that good someone told me to not give her medicine because it will make it worse but my vet disagrees what do you think??

No medicine unless there is a life threatening complication.
default_smile.png
You can cause the bacteria to "dig in" and cause the deadly condition known as "bast*rd strangles". Let nature take its course!

Kaykay I really trust you she is on icarian is that good someone told me to not give her medicine because it will make it worse but my vet disagrees what do you think??
Vets seem to differ on their choice of treatment for strangles; some say let it run its course, others like to medicate. The first time I dealt with strangles, the vet said let it run its course and we just gave supportive care. The second time, the vet prescribed penicillin; although, I went against his wishes, as I did so well the first time with good supportive care; So I went with what worked previously.

They can get it more then once. I have a horse that I now own that is living proof of that.

Lightening Crest: You are only 12 years old?

My filly has starangles she is a yearling the vet has come over but because I am only 12 the vet did not tell me if my baby could die

The vet was there taking care of things and that is GOOD that he came.

I bet he gave your parents lots of good medicine to help your horse.

Strangels is like a really nasty bad cold in and around the throat. It does take a long

time for your horse to get better, but with the proper medicine,

and plenty of care and love from you she will!

She is not going to die ok ??? Not with her medicines; she should be ok.

You did the right thing by calling the vet.

People please take into consideration the age of this very worried young lady.

Lightening Crest: You are only 12 years old?

My filly has starangles she is a yearling the vet has come over but because I am only 12 the vet did not tell me if my baby could die

The vet was there taking care of things and that is GOOD that he came.

I bet he gave your parents lots of good medicine to help your horse.

Strangels is like a really nasty bad cold in and around the throat. It does take a long

time for your horse to get better, but with the proper medicine,

and plenty of care and love from you she will!

She is not going to die ok ??? Not with her medicines; she should be ok.

You did the right thing by calling the vet.

People please take into consideration the age of this very worried young lady.
Yes I am only 12...but I have had this fully when she was a couple days old i am heartbroken already of the thought of her being sick is there a big chance she can pass away?
default_no.gif

Yes I am only 12...but I have had this fully when she was a couple days old i am heartbroken already of the thought of her being sick is there a big chance she can pass away?
default_no.gif
If she is an otherwise healthy filly and this is normal, icky, uncomplicated strangles; just follow your vet's advice, and she should recover just fine. [i've dealt with this 3 times now; last year was the most recent, all horses recovered with no known lasting side-effects. My first full-blown case was a yearling APHA filly, she recovered just fine, and is a fat happy 11 year old out in my pasture.]

Latest posts

Back