Help me guess the breed of rooster

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reignmaker Miniatures

Reaction score
So I lost my gold laced wyandotte, Manny, late this summer and have been debating whether or not to replace him. Yesterday may neighbour called me, a friend of his had 2 roosters that they needed gone and he wondered if I wanted them. Erhmmmm..... how could I say no? They are young, hatched sometime in June this year and, as he described them, "fancy". The first one has a wheaten or buff coloured neck, blue black tail feathers and a rose comb. The other is red/black and has a tall single comb. One of them (can't recall which now) has black legs. They are lovely roosters and he says his friend paid a fair bit for them so they must be pure something... Any guesses? I will post pictures once I get a chance to take a few, maybe tomorrow. I'm thinking the one may be an ameraucana but have no real experience with the breed so I'm not sure.

Hmmm, well these roosters do not have that feature. It is the lighter one that has (or had... I'll explain in a minute) the darker legs tho. The Red/black one has very white patches at his ear/cheek. It makes him look interesting.

Now the explanation for my previous comment. I had to go to town yesterday (my brother is in the hospital recovering from surgery and I had a memorial service to go to...plus it is the day I have lunch with my special needs daughter and to top it off it was my anniversary ... yikes, can we say everything happens at once ;) )

so after assuring myself the new boys were doing well with the ladies and everyone was getting along I gave the chickens some greens (plants ready to be pulled from my garden) and left. After a long day in town I got home late (after dark) and went to close the chickens in there house for the night. I then went in to do my usual head count, make sure all were well, only to find the lighter coloured rooster missing.
default_sad.png
I got a flashlight and rechecked the pen in case he just hadn't come in with the rest but he was gone. No trace of him. I'm not sure if he just flew over the fence (he is young so probably light enough to lift himself) or if a predator took him. I don't usually have trouble with predators because my dog is very alert to them but we had a very foggy day all day yesterday (and today so far) and once dusk settled it would have been excellent cover for a fox or... or perhaps an owl got him since he was light coloured he would have stood out in the gloom. I haven't been out yet this morning but I can't help holding a tiny bit of hope that he just fount a place to hide out side the pen and will be there this morning. It is a tiny hope tho. I don't really have enough hens to need 2 roosters but I am sad to think he is gone anyway.

If the fog lifts I'll try to get some pictures.

Latest posts

Back