HELP! I have a decision to make.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The little guy above was our driving mini for 10 years. Long story short about 4 years ago he got laminitis and from then on he would have good years and bad. We lost him this past Sunday when he became ill and went down fast and passed. He was 18. I had been looking for another driver already and have 2 to choose from. One is a gelding 18 years old, has been driving for a long time and a pasture pet. No signs of laminitis or founder. Very well broke, anybody can drive. The other is a 2 year old stallion (would have gelding expense), would next year need to be cart trained. Has been used for petting zoo, around kids, in other words for his age he has been handled a lot. Never used for breeding. I would love to get the 18 year old since he is ready to go, but the age is stopping me because of just losing my 18 year old. I mean how long would it be before I would need to retire him? I guess I just need some input on the life span of driving minis. Sorry for the novel, I just miss my guy so much.

So sorry for your loss. He was a beauty 💕💕

Get both! 😁Can’t go wrong with getting both 😁 they need friends 😁

I would think the working lifespan of a mini would be the same as any horse. I think it depends on the horse, I have a friend who is still riding her biggie at 29yo.

I think it would depend on the horse as to when to retire him. What kind of driving do you do? If you putz around the farm for 30 minutes a few times a week, then the 18 yo would have no problem keeping up. For longer drives you would just have to take the time to condition him properly, especially if he has been out to pasture. For me, I trail drive and I trail drive HARD. My main driving pony might get a day or two off a week, and we go for hours at a time, so for me I would worry about the 18 yo being able to keep up in the long run with my fast pace, never sitting still type lifestyle.

Do you have kiddos? Then of course the 18 yo would be preferable, depending on the age of the kids.

My vote would be the 2 yo, then you can train him like you want, he has no baggage, and he has his whole life ahead of him. You could start ground driving him now and training him to drive is the fun part 💕…..well, for me anyways 🤣

Being 18 wouldn't put me off, if he looked healthy and was currently in work. I wouldn't want to start him in work at that age if he has been retired for a few years.

I'd pass on the 2 YO. Might buy the 18 YO if it passed a thorough vet check including bloodwork to check for anything metabolic AND if he was ready to hitch and go with no work needed, but I probably would keep looking.
My hesitancy with the 18 YO would be he is at the age metabolic issues show up, and if he is not in steady work now and you put him back in to work, age related lameness/soundness issues might arise that are lurking but not obvious when he's just being a pasture puff.
I am sorry for the loss of your little fella, he was adorable.

I think the rule is, unless you're buying a baby or a project, if the horse is currently working at the level you'd be wanting or above, that's about the best assurance you can get. If he's been sitting for a while, even if he's really well-trained, you wouldn't have any way of knowing if he'll stay sound until you get him back into work. Being 18 wouldn't put me off, because horses - an 18-year-old could go for 10 more years no problem, and a 5-year-old could go permanently lame tomorrow. I say, if you like him and click with him and he's already doing what you want to do, go for it. :)

I think the rule is, unless you're buying a baby or a project, if the horse is currently working at the level you'd be wanting or above, that's about the best assurance you can get. If he's been sitting for a while, even if he's really well-trained, you wouldn't have any way of knowing if he'll stay sound until you get him back into work. Being 18 wouldn't put me off, because horses - an 18-year-old could go for 10 more years no problem, and a 5-year-old could go permanently lame tomorrow. I say, if you like him and click with him and he's already doing what you want to do, go for it. :)
Thank you, and thanks everyone for the input! You have been a great help.

I’m sorry for your loss. He was so cute and sounds like a wonderful friend and partner!

My only contribution is to give yourself as much time as possible to sleep on it, mull it over, and just consider everything!

🤗

Latest posts

Back