help finding a trainer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splash's mom

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have had my first mini since Dcember and he is green broke to drive now. What I would like is to find a trainer in my area that could help me with training him to show. I live in New England and there dosent seem to be anyone that trains and shows miniatures for driving that I can find. Should I just use a large horse trainer? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am a rank amateur and would really like help so I can get into showing. I love my new little guy and I think he would be good in country western pleasure. I would like to do more with him than just trail driving.

Thank You
default_biggrin.png

I found a local "big horse" trainer to help me with my minis and it has worked out great. (Except I am way overdo for another lesson!). I also joined a local driving club where most of the new members have minis. I have already driven in 2 clinics offered by the Club and both clinics had lots of minis. You just need to know that if the local club (or the trainer) is affiliated with the American Driving Society that the training methods will likely be different than many mini trainers will use. I happen to prefer the ADS methods which are more like dressage training - i.e. no shortcuts.

Where in New England are you? There is a ton if interest around here in CDE and ADS type driving, with plenty of events scheduled that are open to minis. And if your mini is a Pinto, the Pinto shows have huge (and fun) driving classes!

Bruce Abbott in NY www.dcffarm.com

Danielle Hill in MD. Dont know her site, google Hopkins Heaven sent ranch.

James Walsh in MD I believe, at RHA

If you PM me I have more, need to find them, these are off my head.

I found a local "big horse" trainer to help me with my minis and it has worked out great. (Except I am way overdo for another lesson!). I also joined a local driving club where most of the new members have minis. I have already driven in 2 clinics offered by the Club and both clinics had lots of minis. You just need to know that if the local club (or the trainer) is affiliated with the American Driving Society that the training methods will likely be different than many mini trainers will use. I happen to prefer the ADS methods which are more like dressage training - i.e. no shortcuts.
Where in New England are you? There is a ton if interest around here in CDE and ADS type driving, with plenty of events scheduled that are open to minis. And if your mini is a Pinto, the Pinto shows have huge (and fun) driving classes!

I'm in N.H. and my mini is a pinto. May I ask how much your big horse trainer charged? I have had some quotes on training and they are up in the 800 to 1000 a month.I really can't afford that!
default_no.gif
I would be happy to even have an experienced driver mentor me in exchange for work $ or whatever. I just want to do right by my little guy and make sure that I am not undoing his already solid training.I've ridden all my life but driving is new to me.

If you are looking for specifically a driving trainer, neither Danielle or James do that. If you are trying to stay local, I would call the Carriage Barn Equestrian Center in Newton, NH. They have tons of competition driving experience, just not sure how much experience they have with minis. They also do clinics all the time, which they welcome minis to. Here is their website, http://www.carriage-barn.com/

Good Luck!

If you are in N H, I would suggest the Carriage Barn. I have never been there but they advertise a lot and have clinics and special programs for minis. Google it - they have a website.

My trainer comes to my place and charges by the hour ($60 last year but may have gone up). I used her (actually a husband and wife team) mostly to make sure everything was adjusted properly and to keep me heading in the right direction. You might be able to get by on a few lessons a month, and at least you and the horse will be trained at the same time.

Good luck!!

Latest posts

Back