Help! clueless about chicks...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I work at an elementary school. Today, two of our sixth grade boys brought in a coffee can with two baby chicks in it. They said that they saved them before school from a crow. I know the principal has a habit of calling animal control, so let's just say I adopted them.

My husband is so excited because he's always wanted chickens. Me, not so much - my aunts rooster used to chase us when I was little. But these little guys sure are cute. We saved a full grown rooster a few years back, but that and my aunts horrible chickens are the only experience I have with them. I went by our local feed store and talked to them. They said the chicks are only 2-3 days old, and that I needed to keep them in an area that is around 80 degrees (but that I didn't need a heat lamp). So they are currently residing in one of my spare bedrooms, in an old rat cage.

I'm worried that since they were obviously free-range chickens that they won't know how to eat out of the chicken feeder I bought for them. They seem to be pecking at everything but the food. Also, my house tends to gets down to around 70 degrees at night. Should I put a blanket over them at night time? Any advice you can give me would be wonderful. They chirp nonstop when I'm out of the room, and tend to quiet down when I'm near or talking to them. Do chickens like to be held?

OK, first, if they're tiny baby chicks, they will need a supplemental heat source and SOON. The idea source is a heat lamp with a red bulb. You will want to hang it about 18" from the bottom of their cage but at one end so they can get away from it if it's too hot. Baby chicks rely on momma to provide the heat they need until they are 5-6 weeks old. If you don't have a heat lamp, maybe in a pinch you can put in a heating pad on low? They are pooping machines so cover it. They should pick at their food, but again, if they're tiny and momma didn't show them, you might want to put down a piece of paper towel and spread out the chick starter lightly over it until they get the idea. They also need constant access to water, but not deep enough for them to tumble into and drown. Lastly, watch their little hineys for 'pasty butt' which is where their poopies might build up. They can die from this and it doesn't happen to every chick, but if you see them start getting messy back there, you will need to gently clean them up, then maybe apply a tiny bit of oil to keep it from happening again. Typically, chicks chirp loudly when they are not content...if they are warm and well fed, they'll just peep a bit and sleep a lot.

Good luck, and I'll be watching this to see if you have other questions.
default_smile.png

OH, and frankly, if you're going to have two chicks, you might as well have more...so go to your feed store and get a few more chicks you KNOW are pullets. If you're going to go through the trouble of raising them to egg-laying age, you might as well know for sure that at least a few of them are going to be hens. Who knows what your two found chicks are, and you won't know until they're about 5-6 months old. Truly, having chickens is an easy thing and they are so enjoyable to watch. I love their personalities and the eggs are 10x better than anything you can buy at the store.
default_smile.png

Thank you so much. I picked them up, nestled them in a blanket, and now they are sleeping in my arms. They truly are cute! I'm having my husband stop by the feed store on his way home to buy a heating lamp. I dont remember seeing any red bulbs there though. What causes the pasty butt?

How fun for you! Chicks are a blast, and can become very loving fun pets. As far as the feed situation, I'd sprinkle a little around the feeder also. They will find the food! Chicks peck at everything, that's how they "feel" and test things since they don't have fingers!

You may not need a heat lamp, but a 60 to100wt light bulb over one corner of the cage will keep them happy and warm. I put a little thermometer at their level so I can monitor the temp.

Here's a good tip: Use a clean feather duster in their "warm corner" (just cut off the stick part) for them to burrow into. That seems to cut down on the chirping (they think it's momma). Some chicks just like some company, not so much being held. Altho the more you hold them and interact with them the friendlier they become.

A great place to learn all you need is www.backyardchickens.com They have a loads of info and a forum you can join. They are very much like LB in their helpfull, friendly, family attitude. Good Luck!

I don't think you need to worry about lice or mites at this point, but then who knows what kind of conditions they came from. Just keep watching for any and if you see any, then research what you can do about it. As far as pasty butt goes, I'm pretty sure it's the baby transitioning from surviving off the yolk to their body learning to process the grain-based food. I haven't seen it happen on a chick older than a week or so old. It's pretty much just the poop being kind of sticky and coming out and they don't know yet how to expel it. Don't worry about it, but just keep an eye out for it so if it does happen, you will know what it is and what to do. You'll love having these babies and I bet you'll enjoy being a chicken owner, especially since you're raising them from the beginning.
default_smile.png

I believe they might be Araucandas (spelling?). One has found the food bowl, and was eatting before their nap.

This was taken with my cell phone while I was holding them.

Photo0964.jpg

They are a Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers. Don!t forget water for them or they won't live long. Mane sure they know where thei water source is, pick them up and put their beak in the water. You will only have to do this once.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a 100 watt bulb on one corner but the temp seems to be holding steady at 85 degrees. For now it's a hardware store lamp that you clamp onto things. I had it above them and it didn't do anything (maybe too high?). I lowered it and faced it at an angle, and that seems to be warming it up a little bit. Is there a limit to how long you can have a light lamp on? They chirp their lungs out until they can see me, then they are quiet. I'm worried they're going to stress themselves out more then they already have, when I leave the room.
default_sad.png

You will do just fine with them ;-). They are such fun and they grow quickly so enjoy. In about 6 months or so you will have green/blue colored shelled eggs if they are pullets. I have Ameraucanas, Cuckoo Marans and Silkies.

Little did you know that you were going to be a mother hen to two chicks! It sounds like they are becoming quite bonded to you.

Of our new pullets, the Ameraucana loves to be held and has flown up onto my shoulder. The Cuckoo Marans and Gold-Laced Wyandottes are also very friendly. The Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps and the one Wellsummer see me primarily as she who brings the food. Our rooster, Russell Crowe, is more like a big dog than a roo. He follows me around and takes his dirt bathes on his back, kicking his feet in the air.

As Jayne noted, chickens are so entertaining. Our horses love them, too!

The newness and fear seems to have worn off - they have stopped their constant cheeping and don't want anything to do with me today.
default_sad.png
They get excited as soon as I enter the bedroom and even come up to the cage side to see me but as soon as my hand goes in the cage they run for the back corner. They are relying on each other heavily. I named them Joey and Pacey (from Dawson's Creek) but now that I think about it, Pooper and Peeper seem more fitting. Lol.

I'm not sure about a future coop. I'd love to let them roam our five acres but we have a border collie who likes to chase and kill smaller animals and I don't want to chance them getting into the dog's area. We have lots of hawks and owls, would they go after grown chickens?

Hawks and owls may kill them. You don't need anything elaborate for a coop. As long as they have a warm and rainproof shelter they will be happy. Do a google search about small coops. You can use a dog enclosure and put the small coop inside to keep the, safe and they would still have room to explore an area.

When you pick them up, try bringing your hand up under them rather than lifting them from above. They have an instinctual fear of predators that fly overhead, and that's what your hand and its shadow suggest.

We (Larry mostly) built a small coop with scrap wood we had on the property. It turned out fancier than originally planned with a door for human access, a couple of doorways for the chickens, to screened windows, roosting posts and a bunch of nesting boxes. The coop is also set up on cinder blocks to allow our domestic ducks to have shelter because they don't go inside the coop. For your two little ones you could get away with just a dog house of some sort....even an igloo house.

What's important is setting up a pen around it. We also have owls and hawks, so we covered the pen area with netting. The pen could be made easily with T-posts and chicken wire, plus plastic netting overhead. To keep critters from digging under, I'd recommend putting the chicken wire a little underground.

Right now we have 4 hens, 1 rooster, and 7 ducks.........and LOTS of eggs!

I am just in awe of these two little guys. I let them come out of the cage several times a day, and now when they see me come in to the room, they pace back and forth at the cage door waiting for me to open it - which they can now jump out of on their own. They are growing in their wings and tail feathers, and I swear I can see them change by the hour. They have such different personalities, but they always have to be within sight of each other. One likes to be touched and held, and will snuggle up against me when he gets tired. And thats the only time the other one even wants to be touched. Lol.

When will it be ok to start giving them treats? I've had a busy weekend, so I haven't had time to look into coops yet.

I may be overly cautious, but I limit giving young pullets treats, as they don't eat that much and I worry about them filling up without getting the proper balance of nutrients. I do toss grass into their run every day, which they love, and of course they find plenty of bugs to snack on -- you should have seen them when a baby snake tried to cross their run -- one pullet caught it and the chase and game of tugawar was on!

You want to be sure to avoid excess calcium until they begin laying.

Once mine begin laying, they will get all sorts of treat -- leftover salad, spaghetti, and so forth.

Latest posts

Back