Helmet saved his life

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
justagirl said:
Of course I've had time to think about ever mistake I made and I will have to live with that for the rest of my life.
I'm not sure what you're referring to because it sounds like you did everything as safely as you could. He had a helmet, he was driving an experienced, quiet horse in a familiar, enclosed area on a nice day with all foreseeable threats (the dogs) put away and you right there to watch him. You did everything right! They've got to drive on their own at some point and things like this can happen to adults just as easily. It wouldn't have made a difference if he'd been older or probably even if you were in the cart with him. Please don't beat yourself up! The fact you taught him to wear his helmet and insisted on it probably saved his life. To me that says you did something very RIGHT.
default_yes.gif

I for one appreciate the reminder. I've gotten sloppy over the last couple of years about wearing my helmet when I'm driving Kody on the road even though I know he's lively and unpredictable and I need to go back to wearing it. Helmets have saved me a couple of times, I don't know why I stopped wearing one!

Leia

I'm SOOOO glad you posted this! I mean...I'm sorry this happened to you and your son and I pray for his recovery, and as Leia said, you were trying to be proactive about driving safety. But there are SOOO many people, it seems ESPECIALLY mini people that will say, "Oh, that will never happen to MY horse, he's very calm." or "He's just a little mini, he can't do much harm."
default_rolleyes.gif
I find that attitude VERY frustrating. People, especially green drivers, need to understand that it can happen at ANYTIME to ANYONE or ANY HORSE without any warning.

I have a Recreational Driving PowerPoint presentation that I have worked on for American Driving Society. Within the next year, it will be available either to clubs or as a webinar presentation posted on the web. With your permission, may I use your story (anonymously of course) in the section about helmet use? Do you have a photo of the helmet? Shana, may I use your Zipper story as well? We can tell people "don't do that" until we are blue in the face, but having a story that goes along with the scenario makes it that much more "real" and educational for people.
default_yes.gif
There are similar stories that people have submitted to me on my website. These stories are also in the presentation.

On another note, if you still have the helmet, the company may be interested in seeing it, and may actually replace it for free if you send it in (at least that is how it used to be).

Myrna

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back