Helmet saved his life

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justagirl

Reaction score
Hello LB family .

I don't post much here anymore , but I felt this was REALLY important for those who let their children drive.

Some of you already know the story I am going to tell you , because you have left your thoughts and prayers on my FB page.

Last Sunday I hitched a horse up that I've been driving for 2 years now . My youngest son (10) wanted to partake in the fun , so he ran inside to fetch his helmet and off we went !!

We drove for some time without incident . The gelding was very quiet , the wind was calm, the weather was warm, and the dogs were put up , so I thought I would let Logan drive solo .

We have a large yard ,and do all our driving on trails and in the yard and the yard is where my nightmare came true right before my eyes .

I told Logan just to let the horse walk , no trotting and he made a couple laps without any problem .

As he approached the edge of our yard, near the woods [something] scared the horse and he bolted , full speed back to the barn , only before he reached the barn he managed to launch Logan from the cart and into a tree. His upper body including his head took a full blow !! I ran as fast as I could to him , the entire time he was not moving, I thought my baby was dead .

I called the ambulance and he was transported to the local childrens ER and was diagnosed with a fractured skull and a broken nose , not to mention the multiple lesions and bruises . His face and head took the hardest hit and his face was swollen and bloody .

Even with the helmet he had life threatening injuries .

I am certain that Gods hand was on my son that day , because he is getting better and will have no long term problems from his injuries .

Of course I've had time to think about ever mistake I made and I will have to live with that for the rest of my life .

So if you have children that drive I just want you to know that even with a helmet terrible accidents can happen and that we should never become complacent when it comes to keeping your precious children safe .

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for sharing your story. We will be praying for Logan as he continues his recovery. Helmets are so important and as your story illustrates, they do save lives!

Barbara

I am just so glad to hear he is doing so well. Thank goodness he was wearing a helmet!

I think it would be wise if we ALL wore helmets when we drive. It only takes a second for something to go wrong.

Sending prayers for Logan and your entire family. Horrible things can happen even when we've done everything right. This is a reminder to is all. Thank you for sharing your personal experience.

default_new_shocked.gif
OMG...a mother's worst nightmare coming true before your eyes! I am so thankful that your son is going to be OK and that he was not hurt worse, or as you say, even killed. Thank you for sharing the importance of helmets!!! Sending prayers and well wishes for Logan and (((HUGS))) for you.

That is just horrible I can only imgaine how scared you were. I am so very glad he is doing better

So scary. I am sorry to hear about your son's accident and I hope he is better soon.

Oh, that is scary. I have a 10yr old son and he is learning to drive. But always with a helmet. Thank you for sharing your story. Praying for your son's full recovery.

{{{{ hugs and prayers for you both}}}}

I can't even begin to imagine how that must have felt to watch.
no.gif

How terrifying!! But it is a very good example that even the calmest horses can become unglued at the slightest, most harmless thing. Heres to hoping that he heals quickly and is back to normal soon
default_pray.gif

Dan.

Prayers for a speedy recovery from our family to yours. Don't forget to replace that helmet.
default_smile.png
reminds me I need to go buy another one as my son out grew his.

Karen

Thank you for sharing your story - how terrifying. Wishing you and Logan a complete and speedy recovery (I am sure it will take time for you to recover too).

I am certainly not ten years old but I always wear a helmet when I drive - even in the show ring. I remember the time when no one wore a helmet to ride bikes, or horses, or to ski....

This is just so scary....I am so glad your son is doing okay! But this is a good example as to why EVERYONE should wear a helmet while driving a mini, even if you think you have the safest mini out there. You NEVER know what could happen.

That was HORRIBLE! Thank God he'll be ok! Thank you for the reminder about helmets! I think everyone should wear them!

{{{hugs}}} for what you've gone through

I'm so happy to hear your little one will be fine. I also want to Thank You for giving us a reminder to wear helmets. Take Care.

Thank you so much for posting this! My Grand son wants to drive his gelding that has been trained but I won't let him until he gets a helmet that fits properly. Your post my save many a head from trama or death. Thank you, Thank you, always wear a helmet!

How scary that would be to witness!! I'm so glad he wasn't hurt worse than he was! I'm a big helmet fanatic! Started when I had big horses and had 3 friends get bad head injuries in a 6 mo time frame. Being an ER nurse I also see how bad head injuries can be. So I wear a helmet whenever I'm schooling. I actually feel a little naked without one when I'm driving at a show!

I hope your son makes a complete recovery. I had a scare like that last year. I was driving and my mare, Cherokee Stables Ohso Dandy, who has been driven for many many years spooked at a local fair at the Zipper(ride). She bolted down the track, I had my feet planted on the front of the wagon and was pulling as hard as I could to get her to stop. Their was other horses and carts on the track including kids and we were heading for them, so I pulled hard on one rein and we hit the fence instead of a kid or other horse/pony. Very scary. Dandy only had some minor scrapes on her back legs and luckily no one was hurt. After that incident I made her stand right next to the Zipper for quite awhile with it moving and clanging and kept talking to her, giving her treats, etc. After awhile she became less scared of it. The carnival guys were very good about it and were a big help getting her to be less afraid of the Zipper.

I am so sorry to hear this! I know it is hard, but please try not to beat yourself up too bad. You sound like you were being a very responsible parent by making him wear a helmet. I am a big helmet advocate!

Thank you for sharing! We will keep your son in our prayers and yes I think the Lord was there that day and had a watchful eye on your son! Im so happy for you that he will be alright and that is what matters the most.

Back