Hellooooooo

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valerie

Reaction score
First of all let me just say, it was so much fun! Yes, I missed the forum, but oh man, did we have a blast in Hawaii. Let me tell you I don't think I could have picked a better place to turn 40.......yes, bittersweet,.....birthday, but atleast a birthday in paradise.

We swam with dolphins (Dolphin Quest) on 2-20, my actual b-day.....what a hoot....it was just such a great experience, all around. Our little group of 4 was my best friend, her hubby, me and my hubby and of course we had a dolphin trainer. There were 2 other small groups & they rotated the dolphins between groups. All I can is, if you get the chance to interact with dolphins, I would highly recommend it. From my perspective these dolphins were very, very well taken care of and well loved and they seemed very, very happy. I know some people do not like any animals in captivity, but these dolphins were born & raised in captivity. Anyway, this was at the Hilton on the Big Island and they have their own lagoons for the dolphins & we were in one lagoon....so we got to swim in the deep water with one, and then we got to give the dolphins signals to do different tasks, etc. Of course we also got to give them treats and rub their bellies ....they are amazingly smooth, not slimy like you might picture.

Let's see what else....oh we did a lot of snorkeling, saw lots of sea turtles & when we got to Maui, the whales were making themselves known......apparently they are in the area from Dec to April, so we got to see mama & baby whales. We learned they are their to mate, or deliver & nurse their young....they do not eat,.....they fill up in Alaska & then they just kinda fast when they are in Maui....I never knew that.......they even came up pretty close to shore. We learned that a lot of the Mama whales will stay close to shore to have their calves & then you see a calve just shoot up out of the water to take their first breath...it was very, very cool to see the whales breach. Also saw a lot of whales tails......and side fins.....they were huge!

I wouldn't go out on a boat to whale watch, because frankly the whales looked larger than a lot of the boats & I am a scared of sharks, etc......so no use in tempting fate I say.

We did so many things, hiked, shopped, went to a luau, tried lots of tropical drinks, etc....etc....had wonderful weather, it was in the mid 80's and then found out back in WA they were having snow......amazing.

Anyway, here are some pics...first ones are from the Big Island and then the others are from Maui.

DSCN0345.jpg

DSCN0346.jpg

DSCN0371.jpg

These are taken on Maui

DSCN0399.jpg

DSCN0402.jpg

Last but not least, this was our last night & we went out to a lovely restaurant called Mama's Fish House, this is a picture of me with my best friend Laurie. I am the one on the left in the picture.

DSCN0432.jpg

I hope you all enjoy....sorry hubby took more pictures than I did and I can't seem to get into his, he has some great sunset pictures, so I will try to get him to move some over so I can share those also.

Hope everyone is doing well. :bgrin

Wow what beautiful pictures!!! The water is so blue! Thanks for sharing those with us!!

............you sure you are'nt one of the "survivors"? Looks like that beautiful scenery they are romping in! :bgrin

Cheyenne, the only reason I would wish to be a survivor would be that it would help me lose some weight....haha. :bgrin

But I don't eat bugs or anything else and I don't like to sleep on the ground, so I don't think I will ever qualify for Survivor, or the Amazing Race..... although, I do think my husband and I deserve some kind of award because on the 5 hour plane ride home we had 5 screaming babies close around us! That should count for something! We don't have children & my husband had a traumatic experience when he was younger when his little brother was a baby & he can't handle crying babies...... we ended up renting the portable movie players on the airplane & then Ken goes, I think I damaged my hearing because I turned the volume up so much to drown out the crying babies!

Before I get flames, I understand that babies ears probably hurt when flying, I get it, but geez, some of the inconsiderate parents.....it really got to me when on the flight over there was a family with kids in the 4 to 6 range & one girl kept kicking the food tray...she would undo it & then kick it against the chair in front of her..I felt really sorry for the woman sitting in that seat. The parents were clueless, the Dad would tell her to stop & then she would do it right in front of him...unreal, it was a classic sign that the kids ruled over the parents in that hh... Next time we are flying first class.....no more coach for us, it will be $ well spent.

I did see some parents who did a great job, they had activities for their kids, etc, so I don't want people to think we hate children.....it just made for such a long, long flight home. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture of the waterfall is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :new_shocked:

Great pictures, thanks for sharing them. I am looking forward to the sunset pictures.

I am with you on the kiddies. I hate flying with them, I too understand their ears can hurt, but there are ways to make them pop. Screaming kids on a plane are like nails on a chalkboard to me. I will never forget one flight, as we were on approach to land the baby's eardrum burst and she was SCREAMING! I felt so bad for her, and I have to say the crew was great. Got them off the plane first so they could get medical help.

OH!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

I JUST LOVED MAUI!!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

I went in August of last year and that was the BEST VACATION I EVER HAD! :bgrin

The water is so clear and WARM!
default_yes.gif
: Well in August it was.
default_yes.gif
:

I am gald you enjoyed your vacation there. :bgrin

Jeri

I just wanted to do a quick apology. I think I posted these in the wrong area, sorry moderators...if you want to move the post I will understand.
default_wub.png
:

Wow, that looks like so much fun!!!

Beautiful and I'm so happy for you.

Thank you for sharing and yes, we were freezing our you know whats off in the NW!

We missed you in Longview, but you were having wayyyy more fun!

Liz

WOW! Sounds like you had a BLAST down there, and I LOVED those pics! They are so clear and such vivid colors!! Glad you made your dream of swimming with the dolphins become a reality! :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back