Hello from a new Mini-Mom

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the world of minis from Virginia! I grew up with the big guys but gave up on horses my senior year of high school as other interests took over. Then came marriage, raising 3 children and teaching kindergarten. I saw my first mini in person here in my town about 6 yrs ago and thought maybe one day I would like to have one. Then 4yrs ago as I was approaching my retirement I started researching the world of minis. This forum was the best source of info and the most wonderful helpful people that answered so many of my questions. So I did retire and started to look for my mini. My search did not take too long at all until I found a local breeder with 2 fillies, 1 was a month old and a 10 days old so I went to take a look. Well it was love at first sight with the 10 day old filly!! The one month old Josie was a dwarf and half sister to the other filly. They were together all the time and weaned together so I had to get Josie as well!!!! I built a small barn and that fall Josie and Misty came to live with me, it's been 3yrs now and I love them sooooo much!!!! I think you will love having a minis they are so much fun and such sweet little horses!! You girls look so pretty please post more pics when you have time! How old are they and are they trained yet? You will find all your answers here as I have, everyone is so kind and helpful and this forum is lots of fun as well!!! Enjoy your new minis!!!!

Hi, Misty's Mom, and thank you for the welcome. Everyone here is so friendly and helpful. I think I like "Mini People" as much as I like the horses! :)

Your girls sound wonderful. I will have to look for your photos of them in the gallery, too. :) I did put some other pictures of Star and Kes under that topic, and will continue to do so as I get nice shots. Most of the time I'm snapping pix with my cellphone, but do have a halfway decent camera. I'll have to try to get some better ones soon.

Starling (silver dapple/black silver) is 11 and Kestrel (appy) is 6. Yes, they have had some training and were actually used as therapy horses, but I'm finding that the training really is not as firmly established as claimed. They both (supposedly) drive but that remains to be seen. My friend who used to have draft horse teams also has a small pony cart that he says he's going to do some fixing up on and lend to me, and he's going to give me driving lessons with them. I suppose, till we get them in harness, we won't know if the "trained to drive" is as firm as claimed. LOL

I'm finding that the older mare is in fact very well trained as far as ground manners go. The younger, "not quite as much" -- she's had training, but I don't think her daily practice was kept up. She's definitely getting better, though, now that she's learned that though her new mommy has warm arms and soft shoulders, she's been around the block with horses a few times so isn't exactly a push-over. LOL

She does nothing actually "bad", she just will occasionally push a limit to see what she can get away with.

:) Life is fun! I'm loving my girls.

Thanks again for the friendly welcome!

Latest posts

Back