Height

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything under 33 1/2" would find my driving track too much of a challange.

For driving I find I like the taller mini's. Maggie I love to pieces,,but but there is limits to what she can drive up and down.

Her Daughter is, I think, going to end up 35 1/2" tall....and is going to have more power. Will be able to handle my Track better. That is if I ever get her harness training done.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Should be working her every other day but haven't been.

Ella my Jenny is going to be about 36"...I think. Will train her to harness next summer.

I prefer 32-33.5" range. As there is more competition....it isnt as fun going in a class and your the only one in it. Here in Canada...there arent many in the B class...although there is slowly getting more.

I do love the b's though...nice long legs.

-Kris

Of course conformation must come first. But I prefer the smaller ones so long as they have good conformation. Especially for what I use them for. I take them to nursing homes and schools and hospitals to visit the sick and dying. Unfortunatly I lost my mini colt when he was just 10 months old to colic last Christmas. :no: He was around 29.5 inches tall. So know I am looking for a mini around that size to replace him so that I can continue visiting the residents. The other minis I have are a bit big for visiting nursing homes and don't have the right temperment which is essential for this. So now that I am somewhat over his death I am looking for a small mini to replace him. But I definately prefer the smaller ones so long as they have good conformation.

I prefer a horse right around 36". This spring, though, I had my first A-sized foal born and he's made me re-think some stuff. I may be in the market for a double registered stallion now but not shorter than 33".

I like all sizes, as long as they have good conformation, attitude, and as a bonus-- color!

Last edited by a moderator:
Under 32" for me, although I have 2 in my herd under 34".

I like my horses to be under 34" but taller than 30". I am a tiny lover but the little ones are so hard to show (like my 28" colt).

I thought i wanted 32" minis, but I have found I have minis from 27" to 38" and love them all for various reasons. My stallion is 32" and i have 2 mares bred to him (34" and 32"). I have been showing a tall long-legged 36" yearling appy filly that is very elegant as well as a yearling 27" filly that appears to be done growing. Conformation on the 2 fillies is equally good but they sure are opposites! I will show both for several years before even considering breeding.

So, I guess as long as their conformation is good, the size does not matter to me. Why limit myself?

jennifer :saludando:

I prefer them to be 30-32.5" tall. I do have one under 30" mare and a yearling filly that may finish under 30" tall. I also have two broodmares that are 33.25" and 33.75" tall. As long as the horse is what I'm looking for, I'm willing to bend a little either way on the height unless it is over 34" tall.

I like the taller ones because I like driving, lots of action, and longer legs. A size minis I prefer to be at least 32" tall, but I love the Bs the best.

Andrea

I own horses that range in size from 20"" (weanling filly that will likely never see 30") to a 38" mare, and everything in between. I love them all, but if I had to CHOOSE a height, I'd say I prefer either a close-to-34", or a 36", or nearly-38". Driving is my favorite thing to do with minis, and those sizes are great for driving for me, personally.
default_smile.png

No matter what size the horse, from tiny mini to full size horse, it has to be balanced and have LEGS. :aktion033:

I'm leaning more towards B sized horses. I have one filly that's around 29" and shouldn't get much bigger and another that will probably end up a little over 34". The bigger one is longer and more "horse-like", while the little one is more "ponyish". I guess I'm saying a bit bigger because I do plan on breeding someday and the thought of a little mare giving birth kind of makes me nervous (dystocia). I realise that any sized mare can have problems but it does make me more nervous nonetheless. Also, my little one seems to have more conformational faults (cow-hocked, locking stifles, a bit of an under-bite). I know this is not the case for all A horses, so I'll have to gain a bit more experience with the little ones to form more of an opinion I guess. Does anyone on here believe that the smaller the horse, the more risk of faults? (not to take over the thread or anything
default_smile.png
)

Does anyone on here believe that the smaller the horse, the more risk of faults? (not to take over the thread or anything
default_smile.png
)

I do believe this, to a certain extent. Only because, in the past the emphasis was solely on SIZE, and so little care was given to conformation, that the smallest was bred to the smallest, regardless of their conformation or even if the horses were dwarfs. So tiny tiny horses tended to carry a lot of dwarf genetics.

It is still more difficult to breed for a really tiny mini, so IMO more flaws are generally "allowed" in the breeding pool.

That said, there are PLENTY of larger minis and even full size horses with glaring conformation flaws, and people keep breeding them too, and also there are not nearly as many people breeding just for small size, for example there are breeders on this forum who breed for very small minis and they are exquisite. So if you know what to look for, you can find plenty of really nice little, tiny minis.

So I may have just changed my own mind, lol! :lol:

[SIZE=14pt]I like the taller....that said, my Sr stallion that is a shetland and a mini both is 32.5". He is driving now and looks pretty cute but I would rather drive the 35-36ish.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I prefer at least 32'' in the A mini's. I am leaning more and more to the taller mini's, a 33'' to 36'' is a nice size.

We like the longer leg........so our herd is changing to over 32 up to 38.

MA

Our herd ranges in sizes with each stallion producing different things for us. I personally preferr the smaller horses ( 28 - 31") and Cindy likes the larger horses(31 - 34"). Whistle Britches is of course a little guy, Rio being 33 1/2, Luxor at 30 1/2, First is 281/2 and Shine being 29 1/2. It is interesting to me the largest of our stallions Rio tends to down size his mares, Luxor breeds about the same with First and Shine tending to breed up in size. Whistle Britches, we are not sure of as we just got him at "The Event" in Lufkin. We are still trying to breed a 28" and under "Miss Kentucky", but have not gotten there yet LOL. But then again no one else has either, so there is still hope. The bigger horses seem to be easier to put together for us though all kidding aside from a conformation standpoint.

:saludando:

Back