Height

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquineLover

Reaction score
What height do you like?Do you like the tiny minis,medium,or the taller ones?

I prefer the 32"-34" mares with a 30"-32" stallion. I do however, own mares up to 35.5" in height and love them just as much.
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
For driving, which is my main "thing", I prefer around 31.50 - 32.50 inches. I know lots of folks like the "B" sized horses, because of the stride, but I find I can get the same stride, in a smaller horse...as long as they have the length of leg for it.
default_yes.gif
:

Little, little, little!
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

They can't be too small for me as long as they are 'puuuuuurfect'!

I think this year we may finally have a colt that will mature smaller than Cowboy! (Cowboy is 25 1/2") I just finished giving him a bath and if the thunderstorms hold off I'll have new pics this evening. this is a 2 month pic, but now he is mahogany red with silver mane...and those BLUE eyes! Wonderful neck on this boy which I hope I can get in the pics tonight.

6-06UltimateCowboyCBY1.jpg

Our mares range from 28" to 34", but I prefer the 28"-30" ones.

I like to see the smaller driving horses that are REALLY good! Around 30". There have been a 'few' that have been awesome, but most of the really good moving little ones don't get a chance because no one will look for that wonderful big round trot in a little horse. They just assume it isn't there. But that's what I like, the tiny ones that can MOVE! :bgrin

Charlotte

I like taller mares 34" and even more, to 38", for a stallion 32 plus to compliment the mares height and conformation, alas..no stallion here any more tho.

I don't really care as much about the height as I do about LONG legs and proportion.

I prefer horses that are under 34". My broodmares range from 28" - 33.75" with several of the smaller ones added this year.

I am breeding for the loud overo and tovero color patterns in the smaller horses with refined conformation and beautiful heads. In the past, I have seen many with great color patterns, but just not the body type I like. I am now getting the type of horse I like with a lot of color and am working towards reducing the size even more!

Utilizing Harts Tip Top Flash 31.75" (pictured in my avatar) and breeding him to the smaller mares should help me reach my goals. This year we've added McSperitts Rowdy Night Image, 28.75" black frame overo who is ultra refined with a beautiful head. We are going to use him on some of the taller mares to bring the size down and give us those wild color patterns in refined and elegant horses!

Well I love little little!!!!!!!!
default_wub.png
: But I worry so much about the little ones breeding.

My mares range from 28 1/2 to 35"

I would say my favorite size is around 30-33"

I love them as leggy and Shetland-esque as possible. Typically that means up around 38 inches -- I love a horse that can look me in the eye.

I am seeing more and more tinies with the proportions I love, but I think my preference will always be the ones that push the height barrier.

I appreciate my type of mini in any size. I own only 2 or 3 B's at this point. One very tall, leggy and loud bay leopard mare, a golden palomino gelding son of BTU, and then one adult mare I get right at 34" but has B AMHR papers. The rest are all A size and are or will mature to a range from 30" - 34"... In general, it is easier for me to find B's that are the type of horse I most like but because I want to breed and have A/R foals, I am not really going after any more B's at this time.

CONFORMATION before size or color.
default_yes.gif
:

I love them all! From small to tall!!! We have from just under 29" to 34" (one gelding)

I don't really breed for size, but our mares are mostly 32-33". (some smaller)

Stallions are chosen for their conformation. (mares too!)
default_yes.gif
:

Small, medium and tall all have things to offer and I appreciate each of them.

I love them ALL!!
default_wub.png
:

You're absolutely right, Robin...conformation comes first. It would be more accurate for me to say that the type of horse I am drawn to is more often found in the taller minis.

The "small is all" attitude of the early days created serious problems in the breed, but as I noted before, I see more and more of the little ones proportioned like a full-sized horse.

The huge popularity of driving and performance, along with the value placed upon good movement have led to a huge improvement in overall conformation, whatever the size.

I like the tall ones. I mostly have B sized mares and my stallion is upper A, pushing B.

Absolutely CONFORMATION must come first!

Then we do like them small, our mares range from 29" to 32" and our stallions are 27.5", 28.25" and 29".

When I first started,,,,,,,,,,liked them small.

But now,for me, what I like to look at and what I like to work with,,,,,,,,,,,,,36" is perfect.

My 2 stallions are 28", 29",,,,,,,,,,but first experience with breeding a stallion too tall,,,,nightmare,,,,,,,,my confort zone is to have my stallions small.

I like them right around 30". My stallions are 28.5 and 29.5 inches, and my broomares range in size from 29.5 to 30.5 inches. There are several reasons I like them smaller: I can get more of them into my barn, I can have smaller pastures and rotate, and I can haul them in the back of my mini van. However, I think the taller ones, around 33" to 34" are just stunning! But since I have two big horses, 15.2 hands and 17.2 hands, I find the itty bitty minis are way too adorable.

I like the 32"-34" range.

Bummer the filly I wanted to keep this year seems as if she's gonna be SMALL and I find it very hard to sell the tiny ones for a decent price...ahhhh, well!

I have two mares under 32", both are 31.50" (Gramma P and Lailah).

CB is 32" and Mouse is 33" looks like Lark will be about 33" maybe?

Liz

All things being "equal" (conformation/correctness) I prefer the little ones! :aktion033:

My adult minis range from 27" to 33", and are all AMHA & AMHR registered. I do realize that everyone has different "tastes" in Miniatures, and some like the taller ones, especially for performance/driving. But, I was attracted to "Miniatures" years ago because of their diminutive size. And, I still love them...the tinier, the better!
default_wub.png
:

So you'll never see me gravitating toward the "B"s & Shetlands, like so many others have done. I will always breed & raise what "I" like....the "little ones".

Isn't it wonderful tho, that there are all sizes of quality minis out there for all our varying tastes!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back