Height of stall doors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jens

Reaction score
We are building a little barn and are wondering how high to build the stall doors. We want them to be able to hang there heads over the door to see out. We're thinking 40" tall. Is this enough??

Now we are thinking 37" tall. I hope this will be a good height.

Oh very interesting! Thanks for the picture, I'll show it to my husband!

Yes, I love your barn too!!! And that is a good question, where did you buy the doors?

I was fortunate enough to find four of the six at a yearly local farm sale, the other two I purchased new from a local feed/tack store. If you google stall gates, some various manufacturers pop up, and you can search for local suppliers. As I said, they are half size gates for full size horses, I just lowered them for the minis. The center aisle was constructed of hexagon shaped rubber pavers I found on craigs list used(bargain). We actually had just the 25x40 foot pavilion portion of the barn done with the correct posts to make it into a barn. I did the rest myself, cut costs wherever I could, using locals that ruff cut lumber and all. My husband just didn't have time to help working six days a week, so it was on my shoulders, LOL. Thanks for the compliments. since I am down to my two minis, they each have a 10 x10, my one soon to be two come late august, big horses have 10x20s, and there is a 10x25"' overhang in the front. It may be hard to see in the photos, but the walls between the stalls had wood channels at the fronts and backs, the walls were removable and slid in or out of the channels.

All the hay and feed is kept in my old Amish made small barn that was a 12x24 that I built two 10x10 stalls and a small tack room off of making it a 22x24' building. Seems odd having so much empty space since I am down to just two minis and one big girl for now.

I looked at a wedsite that makes mini stall fronts. Used their specks and made my own they are 32 wide by 48 tall. They look like a big horse stall and the bar section of the door drops down if you want them to put their heads out. I used 2x4 s for the frame, metal conduit for the bars and ruff cut lumber for the lower half of the door. Each door cost wise was about 25 dollars.

Okay, so I think we're on the right track! This horse barn at our house project came along rather quickly as we adopted 2 of the 38 rescued mini's from the Boston area. I've never had mini's before and am loving it so far! They are boarding at a frinds barn, but I can't wait to get them home!!! There barn is nice, but they can't see out of the large horse stalls and it's suppose to rain for the next 2 days so they will be in. Poor things!

How awesome that you adopted them. I will say from experience they do like to see whats going on always. Good luck!

I'm so in love with these 2 cutie pies! I'm already regreting putting up a wall between the 2 stalls. Maybe we should have left it a 1/2 high wall all the way accross. We left a stall door between the 2 stalls so they can hang there heads over the top to visit with each other, but the rest is wall. They also will have open top front stall doors, so maybe it's fine the way it is.

Latest posts

Back