"heck on earth" has returned

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
I know that many of you will remember the dog pack that killed fourteen of our horses two years ago. Except for the attack by two Pit Bulls on Top Cat last January, we had been doing very well until this week. On Monday morning we had a TV crew here doing filming I saw a mare that looked like she had aborted an early foal. Upon closer inspection, we found that she had been attacked in the rear by a dog.

On Thursday morning when feeding, Michael, who works for us saw blood on the ground, so checked closely to find that another had been attacked, but only had bite marks on her hocks and a slight tear in her anus, but minor compared to the first mare. We had animal control and the state coyote trapper out and had patroled the pasture to see if we could find any clues. Michael had seen a "big red dog" in the pasture earlier in the week.

The next day, ANOTHER... only slight, but still an attack. Animal control called to say that they had captured a "big red dog" killing some chickens not too far from our back pasture so I was thrilled, thinking that we have found the problem. When animal control came to show us the dog, Mike said that it was not the one that he had seen. I was hopeful that it was the problem, but because the pasture is eighty-five acres and although we are shredding it currently, it still has a lot of very tall weeds, we decided to bring the group to the front pasture and around the barn where our Pyrenees patrol very well.

The next morning some customers came to pick up a colt that they had bought. While we were looking at the other weanlings, Mike came up and said that he needed the camera and wanted to know if I had it on my golfcart. I said, "Another one?" thinking that it couldn't be, because I had brought the horses in the night before. After my customers left I went to look. I was just SICK...one of our tiniest mares that was pregnant had been severely attacked with bites to the head, ears, and her rear was very bad. After examining her thoroughly we decided that she would be unable to recover and chose to put her down.

All four of the mares that were attacked were 28" and under, maybe one is 29". The coyote trapper said that he believes that it is a small dog, perhaps a heeler, based on the victims and the size of the bites and the mode of attack. We have traps out and animal control is starting their day at our place every day until we get the culprit. We are bringing them up every night until that happens too, and now I am counting as they come it - all 148 of them.

I know I should build a better fence, but just cannot afford the $100,000 plus price tag. Am actually considering selling the back 100 acres. Then we could afford an excellent fence, but would need to sell half the herd, but am thinking seriously about it.

Not asking for sympathy, nor ideas (YES, we have llamas (7), donkeys (3 big, 4 little), a mule, & fuard dogs (4).). Just VENTING.

waitingDSC_0988.jpg

Waiting for breakfast and return to their pasture.

I am so very sorry for what you and your horses are going through!! Hope the dogs are caught very soon!!

wow, so sorry! I hope all yours stay safe and that the dog or dogs are caught.
default_sad.png

I am sorry to hear of the trouble, we are having Coyote problems here so im on the same page as you!

On a different note,that picture makes me so badly just want to walk out in your pasture and be surounded by mares.

Hope the herd is safe agian soon!

Just re-read your post, i am so sorry for the loss of your mare! I am so sorry
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony- Thank you for sharing- it is indeed an unsettling situation for you. I do hope and pray you will find the dogs soon and peace will be restored to you and your herd of beautiful miniature horses. Please know that we are thinking of you daily.

Peggy

This is so horrible I can't even comprehend anything like this happening.
default_no.gif
I hope they catch the dogs doing it soon. In a case like this do the dog owners have to pay restitution for the damage their animals cause. I sure hope they do. Those poor babies.
default_wub.png
Hope they all heal soon.

So sorry Tony.

That is just so terribly. I know how that helpless feeling is in this regard. We have had to readdress all of our external fencing. Not in the area/size you have to deal with.

One thing I have found out is that if you do lay out traps that are large enough for a large dog, coyotes will leave them along because of the human scent. Dogs however will not. That allows you the opportunity to capture a loose dog but not a coyote, inadvertantly. You probably already have traps out, but just thought I would mention that.

Best of luck first off with capturing him. As to a backup plan for long term, it sounds like you already have an excellent path considered and the most viable one.

Tommy

OMG you must be crazy with worry! I am so sick of hearing about these attacks. Just give me access to your golf cart and a good rifle and I'll take them out myself! I have more time than I need and can spend a lot of time patrolling..alas I live too far away.

Maybe your plan to downsize and sell of back part is a good idea but you know what? That should be your decision, not forced to it because of some dang predators!

Maxine

So sorry Tony.

That is just so terribly. I know how that helpless feeling is in this regard. We have had to readdress all of our external fencing. Not in the area/size you have to deal with.

One thing I have found out is that if you do lay out traps that are large enough for a large dog, coyotes will leave them along because of the human scent. Dogs however will not. That allows you the opportunity to capture a loose dog but not a coyote, inadvertantly. You probably already have traps out, but just thought I would mention that.

Best of luck first off with capturing him. As to a backup plan for long term, it sounds like you already have an excellent path considered and the most viable one.

Tommy

I'm sorry for the loss of your mare and hope that the culprit is soon caught.

Oh no, i was so hoping that the problem was solved after the last time. My heart goes out to you.

I remember the stallions and horses you lost! I am so sorry this is happening all over again.

I pray that you catch and destroy these dogs soon!

Oh no Tony! Thank goodness you have some way to bring the mares up at night.

I sure don't have any suggestions. Wish I did.

Charlotte

Tony ..

We are so sad to hear of your latest situation .. Our hearts & prayers go out to you .. I too am amoung those that can't imagine the sorrow you are feeling .. As you know we've had our problems with preditors .. I thank God for your assistance in our recent battle to retain our electric fence .. I wish we could repay you in some way for the help you've given us .. All that we can do, being so far away is continue to pray for you, for your horses and that you are able to find the means to protect your remaining herd.
default_pray.gif

It breaks my heart to feel so helpless when it comes to protecting our beloved animals

Carol & John P.

Oh Tony, I am so sorry. It's a terrible thing our little horses must go through because of somebody's 'pet'. I hope the perpetrators are caught soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I AM SO SORRY! With all the posts lately about dog attacks, I am gonna make sure and start locking Melody in her stall at dark until we can get the hog wire or chicken wire up around the outside of her pen. That must be an awful feeling. I hope the problem is taken care of promptly.
default_no.gif

Oh Tony,

my heart breaks for what you and your mini's have gone through. I'm so very sorry.

If it's a red heeler you are in trouble. I have heelers both blue and red. The red color comes from the dingo and other traits come with it. Red heelers can be very undomesticated. They have a reputation for being extremely aggressive compared to the blues. If you've had attacks on the heels and hocks it may be a heeler.

I'm really angry that you may even have to concider selling some land and horses just because some idiot can't control their pet
default_gaah.gif

So very very sorry about your little mares! I dont know what I would do if it happened here but my horses are Bs mostly and I have a ferocious dachshund that runs big dogs out of the yard!

Lyn

Tony

I am sorry to hear about this -- I know you have some wonderful horses and to have the same problem pop up again with the dogs would get tiring and frusterating very quickly. I hope that you get whatever is doing it caught and taken care of and that you dont have to reduce the herd or the land you have.. It is hard to cut back when you worked hard to get what you have.

You and your horses will be in my thoughts.

Latest posts

Back