"heck on earth" has returned

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony, I am so sad to hear of the attacks on your horses and the loss of your mare. The memory of your post on Top Cats attack is still so vivid. I am praying whatever is doing this will be caught soon and your troubles will end.

Lots of prayers and hugs,

Tony,

I'm so, so sorry!
default_no.gif
I can't believe how much this is happening. I love dogs, but I have NO tolerance for aggressive ones. I hope you catch/kill it soon. I was bitten by a blue heeler at the World Show. Those things are psycho!

And I'm so sad for your little mare. The fear she must have felt must have been horrible.
default_no.gif

Am so sorry you are going through this again. Have to say I am getting tired of dog owners....the ones that think it is ok to let dogs roam.

Couple of days ago.... I wasn't doing good and down with a killer head ache. Heard some weird noises...son was yelling a dog was killing our prize chickens...sure enough...have no idea how the ----blank..blank-- got into the fencing around the house... I was not up to chancing someone else's dog around my house 4 times with a heavy shot gun...a brindle boxer as it was killing my Black Mottle d'Uccles. First time I ever missed.... pretty sure I know where it lives....next time it isn't going home. If I had not been in so much pain, the owner would not of gotten that dog back.

Just glad my mini's were behind yet another fence...because they would of went after it...and sure someones throat would of been torn out. Also glad I was home....am sure things would of gotten worse.
default_torch.gif

Needless to say I am extremelly angry...... am sure you are too.

Have no more tolerance for any dog that comes any where near my animals.

Tony, I'm so sorry to read this happening to you again and what that little pregnant mare went through just makes me cry. I hope you can find another solution so that you won't have to give up half your herd.

You will be in my prayers tonight.

Joyce from CT

So very sorry that you are being "haunted" by this situation yet again. Having been to your farm I can assure the others that you are in the hill country of TX and there is just no way for you to easily patrol that farm!! So many areas where you cannot see a dog if it were there and I can feel that frustration from here.

You are right, for now being able to bring the mares up at night can help but it is a band aid, not a cure. But, new fencing all around?? Oh, my!!! Sad part is, if they really want in they will still find a way -- may take longer but, can happen.

Hopefully they will catch a few very soon and end the problem. Until them my heart goes out to you and what you are having to endure. I know how very much you love these animals and the great care you give.

Wish there was some type of "predator alert" every one could rig along their fences that would tell us when & where, they were. So many have similar predator fears, although you have had the most repetitive.

Seems the dog packs and coyotes are coming out in full force here too.

I'm sorry you are going through this again.

Daniel just re-fenced all of our pastures with the exception of the front that has vinal. That's getting hot wire inside and out.

When my horses go over the hill in the back fields I can't see them, so the whole outside perimeter is all double fenced now with field fencing plus hot wire. We let the wild weeds and bushes and things grow up on the outside fenceing, some of it's thorny too and it formed a good barrier and privacy too. The new inside fencline is about 4 feed in front of that. We've got a couple cow bells on it here and there. You can only do so much and hope for the best.

The dog owners need to have their ears and butts torn up.

That is so sad! Especially that it has happened so many times. I think I would be considering the selling/refencing option, too.
default_no.gif

Oh man Tony....not again! I'm sorry you lost another one.

I know of a couple of sharp shooters that would be more than happy to work the night shift to help you out if they were all ready down there. Dave is investing in a night vision scope that would allow us to see anything that moves. Would love to come help you out if we were able.

Actually, just say the word and we're there!
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh good grief Tony, yet AGAIN?!!!
default_frusty.gif
:arg! I just can't believe this is happening again. I feel very badly for you... and so sorry to hear of the horses.

What if you just did a section of fence at a time? Perhaps the furthest from the house to start with? Or one pasture then in another year or so, do another, etc.. ??

I suggested to someone else with the problem a moat would be great. With alligators and those under six feet need not apply!!

I am so sorry!

My heart is going out for your little mare and the other little ones who have been injured.......

Wish there was a blanket answer to this dog problem. It sure seems like you are doing just about all you can at this point!.........Please keep us posted when you think the culprit is caught!

MA

Im sooo sorry! I swear people and their dogs! Our neighbor lets her run loose all the time!

I know you said you were just venting, but how about a couple strands of hot wire and solar chargers? I think that would be reasoable priced.

Good luck sorry

Sorry you are having dog problems again....with new subdivisions popping up everywhere in what used to be country, I think some of it is inevitable. Hope you get the best of this one and figure out a long term solution. Not much good with a gun, but I have a pretty good fence guy here
default_smile.png

Jan

Tony, is Animal Control putting out cyanide traps? If not, maybe contact your county agent to see if they have any trappers they can send out to install some. They work fairly well. If you can't find a trapper, I say go for the weenie treatment. Make sure your own dogs stay home though.

I'm so sorry for your loss of the mare, and the injuries of the others. It must be so frustrating to be in your situation doing all you can but knowing it's not enough to protect them 100%. Sounds like you have a possible plan worked out for preventing this in the future.

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through all of this again Tony. You have certainly had your share of obstacles. I hope everything gets much better for you and your little horses. They should catch and kill these dogs. If they do it once, they will do it again. Best of luck and our prayers are with you.

Oh gosh Tony, I am so sorry to hear of this happening again!

I often think of the little Champion mare (Mary Queen of Scotts - Spots ?) you lost the last time this happened. The little tiny mares, gee they don't have a chance.

I hope you get to the bottom of this and have no more loss'.

Sincerely,

Beth

Oh **** Tony; the minute I saw the title of your post I thought Oh No Not Again! It doesn't help a bit to say how sorry I am, but that's about all I can do. I noticed someone has already mentioned poison and I was going to ask if you've put any out. Certainly not as effective or as quick acting as a bullet, but it may help get some of the ones you don't see. Good luck with this recurring nightmare!!

Oh no not again! These dogs are a pest in Texas. We were victims too not with horses they catched several alpacas. We guess coydogs came in digged UNDER the fence.

So very sorry Tony

Anita

The only way that we can use the cyanide traps is to lock up our dogs for a month. We have used them several times in the past before we got the guard dogs, though Am considering the electric fence, though. Of course that pasture is 85 acres, so will be difficult to keep it going, but may do it.

Thanks for everyone...

Latest posts

Back