Heat !!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcfarm

Reaction score
It is soooo hot!!!!!!!!!!! How is everyone keeping your driving horses in shape? I try to drive or exercise around 7 pm leaves me a hour or so to exercise. Not nearly long enough for my 2 driving horses.

We have a state park pass and with that you can go into the park as early as 6 am other than that we've been waiting till the evening also.

I try to drive or work them either in the morning or late afternoon and preferably in a shady area which makes a huge difference. BUT, I still work them, because I can't control the weather at shows, and they need to get used to working in the heat. We had a show last weekend when the heat index was over 100 and so hot I almost didn't make it through the day. Princess and I were in a total of 13 classes, including 5 driving classes, plus hunter and jumper, trail (2), showmanship and halter/color (3). She was on the trailer (parked in the shade) in between classes and when I harnessed her for driving around 6:30 PM she still had plenty of energy. Good thing one of us did! So glad I had been working her in the heat consistently!! She had a great show and was awesome in driving - 13 1sts, 1 second, and 1 third in the 5 driving classes, with 3 judges. She looked just like she did in the avatar photo.

I'm with Target. We've been doing the same. We avoid working in the heat on the days it is possible for us, but we've also been 'toughing it out' a lot. I have just been thankful for the wind, when we get it. We've only lost one day from our training schedule due to the heat and we've had to re-adjust the scheduled workout twice because of the heat. Otherwise, we go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
People think because we're a mile high, we don't get heat, but this year we've been driving in 110 degrees. Not hard, but as was said, you cannot control weather at events. I have a Betathane harness so sometimes I will hose PJ off while in harness. We might be working out down in our obstacle yard, have a nice hose off, then go off down the road.

I also feed electrolytes, although it took me awhile to find a great combination. Once I did, though, both horses really perked up. I frequently take some sort of sports drink with me when I drive (yes, I share it).

Last week, I actually trace clipped PJ! He is SOOO much happier! We have temperature changes of 50 degrees in a day, and a couple times 60! It will be 100 - 110 by 3PM and 45 at 3AM. Very sucky.

Latest posts

Back