Heat Cycle?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky

Reaction score
We bought a mare that was suppose to be in foal. We have had her not quite 1 month. The 25th of this month will be one month. We took her to a vet nearby and they did an ultra sound on her. I noticed the other post on ultra sounds after the fact, I never new of problems associated with it. Her ultra sound went well, no problems and they did not sedate. Vet said she was not in foal. So I can get her bred from the women who sold her to me. But I don't want to leave her a long time. So now I am trying to figure out when she goes in heat. We have a gelding with her all the time. I haven't noticed anything. I read that she will back into him, or pee next to him. I read she will lift her tail and wink.... :roflfor real?? I have not seen any of this... Could an ultrasound be wrong? What else do I need to look for???? THANK U BUNCHES Also, she has the worse case of dandruff I have ever seen. Should I shampoo her with head and shoulders?

She may not react this way to a gelding. It really depends on how high her hormones are. My mare, that was a maiden, never reacted this way even to my stallion until after we bred her once.

default_new_rofl.gif
Yeah, I keep looking under her tail for that wink.... Well, that's gonna make it hard to tell when to drive her over to get bred.... hmmm

I had a thought, maybe I should get a stallion myself.....but, I read I can't let them run together all the time in a herd (gelding, mare and stallion), cause the stallion will be mean to the gelding maybe hurt him. I was told to they would need to have separate turnouts... with gelding and mare together and stallion separate...is that true? The stallion would be lonely!
default_blush.png
If so, I don't have that without putting up more fence. I was hoping they could all be together. How do people get more minis then... I would like more. Would I have to get more mares or put up a fence... I don't know how it works??

Most mares don't show to geldings. Don't buy a stallion until you are well versed in their upkeep and behavior and requirements.

Ditto what Nathan said. Stallions can be agressive and minis although cute and small can hurt you. My stallion is kept away from mares and it is still not far enough away this time of the year. He can see them and smell them. At least all the pacing he is doing right now has worked off his hay belly and he is looking good. You could end up like me: Too many minis in a hurry. They are easy to collect. Unless you have several mares there is no need for you to "have to put a with a stallion." You are fortunate that the previous owner will allow a breeding. Just use that one or pay a stud fee. You will be spared the cost of feed, farrier, wormer, and medical bills for a stallion as well as fencing and possibly injury. Just be patient. I don't mean to sound harsh. If you want to send me a personal message I will be happy to let you know what kind of bills you can incur if you suddenly have horse medical bills due to bad foalings. It can be a nightmare. Maybe the ultrasound was wrong. If she is not bred just watch for the signs. Lots of peeing and winking. You will only have to leave her with that stallion for a few days anyway. Again, I don't mean to sound harsh but I could write a book titled What I Did Wrong Jumping Off Into The World of Minis. Now if you really want to start collecting I will be happy to sell you mares and colts. Hardeeharhar. So will lots of other people.
default_whistling.gif
:whistling This economy is bad.
default_thumbdown.gif
I actuallly envy you. You are in a position to learn all you need to know about minis and trust me on this: since you only have two you will have time to enjoy them. The more you have the more of your time they take up. Having healthy foals is something joyously indescribable. You have a golden opportunity to let this mare foal for you next year and alot yourself the time to learn all you need to know about them from the good folks on this forum. Just know there are no dumb questions, so ask away. As far as that mane, I would shampoo with a medicated shampoo formulated for horses. Then I would use MTG in the evening as it can cause sunburn. If the flakes do not go away you can always get good advise from the people here. Welcome to the wonderful world of minis! And I would like to add that my stallion is a very sweet little guy. I got him as my first mini when he was less than a yearling and he has sired 4 beautiful babies for me. One of those babies just turned 2 and he was about to be the death of me with his "stallion attitude". The kick and bruise he gave me a few hours before he was gelded assured me I was doing the right thing. Now that he is a gelding he has gone from being addressed as J, you blankety blank blank to Sweet Baby J. He is now a sweet heart. It is so easy to get attached to them. I strongly advise you to take the time to familiarize yourself with the care of your two and gradually work your way into "maybe having more."

Thank you sooo much for all your advise. You are right. I just need to be patient and enjoy them and learn all I can about them before I get a foal. The picture of your minis Vickie is really, really cute!!! I will watch for winks and pee. Also, I will call the lady I bought her from and see what she says about breeding her. Maybe also check others in my area about stud fees etc. Thanks YOU!!

Thank you sooo much for all your advise. You are right. I just need to be patient and enjoy them and learn all I can about them before I get a foal. The picture of your minis Vickie is really, really cute!!! I will watch for winks and pee. Also, I will call the lady I bought her from and see what she says about breeding her. Maybe also check others in my area about stud fees etc. Thanks YOU!!
You are so very welcome. I wish that I had been fortunate enough to have had someone to advise me when I got into minis. I went from getting my colt/now my stallion for my Christmas present in 2007 to purchasing 3 mares the very next month. Duh! I waited two years for my little man to become a herd sire. Meanwhile, he had expenses. The one I purchase preggo had a c-section and lost the colt. Expenses upon expenses. I purchased a 4th mare in foal. Actually, I did not purchase her, I bartered equity in a horse trailer for her. Anyway, the foal turned out to be my second foal who unlike the previous one was at least "alive". Sadly, she had a birth defect and I had a choice of euthanizing her or going through an experimental surgery. I chose surgery and she is my sunshine and will be 3 in June. Now that really cost me. Need I repeat "duh"? God is good and even though my first two preggers were nightmares I have as previously stated I have been blessed with 4 beautiful healthy foals from my little man who grew into my herd sire. After paying for scrounged up hay due to the drought here and a fortune to have the resulting dead trees removed I have opted to have no mares bred for next year. I have a total of 10 horses. A bit more than my Christmas pres, and yes, I am tired for it, but I love them all. When I first got into minis I made it a point to visit other farms. That is when I realized that you need a plan. Do you just want a couple of them? Do you want to produce them? What quality do you aspire to to produce? Are you going to sell, show, or what? Back then I did not have the answers. Trust me on this, with enough tears, blood, sweat, and money the answers are there. Must add that one of the first three mares has turned out to be insulin resistant so much time and expense has been added. Whoever said, "they are like potato chips, you can't just have one" was absolutely correct. My advise to you is for right now just settle for two and "maybe" later consider three. I do not mean to discourage you. Just ease into this, and enjoy the ride would be my advise strictly based upon my own mistakes.

Latest posts

Back