Health care and treatment book

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witts Mini Horse Ranch

Reaction score
I need a book, that covers everything, a Vet book bible. I looked at TSC and did not see one like I would like to have. Not something to replace the vet, but one I can seek advice from until I can get a hold of the vet. For instance, Saturday night a little 6 month old filly had severe diarrhea and I could tell she was quite uncomfortable, more than usual gas and stomach noise. I had gave her small amounts of pepto. Of course, my vet was closed but he has told me several times his office phone is transferred to his cell. I called him around 5:00 pm Saturday and he has yet to ever return my call!!!!! She was better by Sunday morning, I stayed with her most the night, until she finally was having normal stools. And, was she full of it, she went from watery, to cow patties to finally normal. She did not eat her dinner so I have been concerned she was impacted. Even though she is better, I still want to know why to avoid it again. Plus, I wasn't sure I was doing all I could be doing, but wasn't leaving her long enough to get on my computer. My vet is the only one anywhere near us, he is excellent when you get a hold of him....but it has to be office hours. I figure I haven't heard from him because he knows I am upset with him, and the filly must be better or I would have called again. I have told him time after time, I only call after hours if I am truly concerned!

Well, I got off the subject.......I am still upset...sorry I vented. I am wanting something that helps diagnose, and suggested treatments....of course nothing replaces the Vet........but I need something to reference to and to know if I should be loading them up and headed out to an emergency clinic when my vet does not call back promptly, which would be no less than an hour drive/haul for a sick horse.

I have been very blessed that my horses have not had serious health issues, but always VERY concerned when one is off.

I know I have seen books posted b4, and even wrote them down, where I don't know
default_wacko.png
All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi, Nancy --

I keep a copy of Miniature Horses: A Veterinary Guide for Owners and Breeders by Rebecca L. Frankeny, Ron Scheuring, and Kathi Haworth in my medicine tote box. It's available through Amazon (and other places, I'm sure) for under $20.

I doubt it's the most comprehensive book there is, but it's come in handy for me. You learn more hands on of course than from any book, but I do like this one.

Jill

PS I hope it's okay, I want to edit my post to include the stuff in my medicine box in case it's of help to anyone else.

• Banamine paste and injectible
  • SMZ's
  • Tribressen Paste
  • Triple Antibiotic Eye Ointment
  • Flavored Vitamin C Tablets
  • Nolvasan Scrub
  • Fura Septin (sp) Salve
  • Lyme Dip (for rain rot)
  • Peroxide
  • Gator Ade / Power Ade [SIZE=8pt](not in the kit but always on hand)[/SIZE]
  • Big Dosing Syringe
  • Injection Syringes
  • Vet Wrap
  • Duct Tape
  • Stethescope (sp?)
  • Digital Thermometers

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Jill's recommendation. Another dependable reference is How to Be Your Own Veterinarian (Sometimes) A Do-It-Yourself Guide for the Horseman by Ruth B. James, DVM. It's packed with knowledge of common equine maladies and first aid that you can effectively administer to your horse. It's also very direct about when veterinary care is of the utmost importance.

Pam

I like my "Horse Owner's Veterinary Handbook". It is over 500 pages with lots of info, pics etc.!

Here is a pic of the covers to show you what they say about it...

book.jpg

I would like to add my support for two of the above-recommended books. The Frankeny book has lots of info that's pretty specific to minis, and the Giffin/Gore book describes lots of symptoms and causes, and I've found both to be really helpful. (I haven't read "How to Be Your Own Vet... but hear it's good as well.)

I can sympathize with your situation, and I hate that jolt of fear I get when something is wrong, it's the middle of the night, and the vet's not picking up the phone... And it really does help to know what "first aid" is okay and what might not be...

Best of luck for a good resolution!

Pam and Mona -- Those books sound great
default_yes.gif
I will be adding them to my "library"
default_yes.gif

The Veterinary Encyclopedia and Breeding Managemant and Foal Development by Equine Reserch are my 2 bibles..everything is covered with pictures added..

I love all those books too.... Don't forget Barbara Naviux's book... Miniature Horses, their care, color and breeding .... and the Merck Manual!

Robin

Wow! Thanks everyone, I am headed to Amazon.com with my credit card...I am sure I can't get them all...but I do have a hard time making up my mind. I will put them all in my shopping cart and print it out and ask the hubby how many I can have for Christmas. I know he wants me to get one, he wanted me to come in Saturday night and I asked him if I came in at 3:00 am would he come out and watch her or at least watch her on the camera. He said watch her for what, I looked at him and said to make sure she doesn't die.

From lurking around the forum, I am starting to wonder if she has ulcers. Seems like she has just not been right since weaning. Bloated looking belly, I showed pointed her out to my vet and told him she was current on worming and he said worms could do that and also green grass. Well, the grass is pretty much gone but she still has that belly. This little filly will always be with me for as long as I can care for her and I am not going to give up until I find out what is going on with her (Ms Jean). I am starting to think she looks a little dwarfie (sp?), she is very small.

I should get my vet out here or take her in and have him check her inside and out. Since she has been doing ok, I have been trying to wait until I cool off.......I am just so disappointed in Doc, I'm telling his mother, she is his receptionist......she can always get him better than I can.
default_wink.png
It wouldn't be the 1st time I have told on him.

Jill, thank you for the first aid list......a DIGITAL thermometer is a must. I tried to take her temp with the one I have, the mercury type.........I could not read that thing for the life of me. My husband said that it was 100, I had to just take his word for it. I am ordering a digital one right away!

Thanks again everyone, and anyone else that wants to add to the library in the works.

Nancy, for the digital thermometers, I just have several from like CVS or Walmart
default_smile.png
Just the kind like for people
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
They're $4 or so and I just have several in the box in case the batteries have died in one.

Latest posts

Back