Hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What cut?

• Only First Cut

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Only Second Cut

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • A mix of First and Second

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Other

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters
Chanda, I think there are some feed companies that make a rabbit pellet in the smaller size? Like the ProAdvantage size pellets. But, I've never had any trouble at all with the 1/4" alfalfa pellets and I've been feeding them for close to 20 years now.

Some horses that have never had them may turn up their nose at first, but no different than any new feed being introduced. I'm a big fan of alfalfa pellets!
default_yes.gif

Chanda, I think there are some feed companies that make a rabbit pellet in the smaller size? Like the ProAdvantage size pellets. But, I've never had any trouble at all with the 1/4" alfalfa pellets and I've been feeding them for close to 20 years now.

Some horses that have never had them may turn up their nose at first, but no different than any new feed being introduced. I'm a big fan of alfalfa pellets!
default_yes.gif
I've not had any problems wiht mine turning their noses up at 1/4" pellets either, at least not the size, and I don't have problems with soaking them either, although they do take a bit longer than the teeny pellets. I'd like to say mine will eat almost anything I put in front of them, but they aren't overly fond of the "full-size" cubes I've been able to get (so I've pretty much quit trying them). The new Standlee mini cubes are a hit with my kids; I just found them a month ago when I was at TSC, unfortunately my closest TSC is 150 miles away.

Id say the standlee pellets I bought were bigger than 1/4", probably closer to 1/2", not joke. Not sure how that would be possible, since im sure theyre all made in the same molds, but these were huge. I returned them and got the producers pride. The producers pride used to be a lot smaller too, almost "rabbit pellet" size, but are bigger now. Wish I could find the tiny pellets again, I worry about choke.

Orchard Grass hay, because that is what grows here. And we only get one cut a season...this being NorthWet Oregon.
default_laugh.png

The horse's do very well on it.

I don't fit in the poll. I like soft grass hay mixed with some alfalfa. I prefer third cutting but sometimes have to settle for second. Most farmers around here use timothy &/or too much alfalfa (mostly for cattle). I like brome and have to drive 80 miles one way to get my entire year's worth. I also feed each one Purina mini/pony feed. In show season I add alfalfa cubes so I can cut down on the volume of hay I have to haul to shows and so they reduce their bellies.

I would have to be desperate to buy [orchard grass] again--much prefer brome, timothy & crested wheat, and of course some alfalfa.
I've had just the opposite problem -- our Central Oregon orchard grass is soft, green and beautiful, and the horses love it. One farm, however, had wheat accidently seed into his orchard grass field, and our horses thought I was trying to poison them. At the same time, this guy had raised his prices drastically. I wasn't about to pay more when they only ate half of what they were given, so we took it back.

There is an ENORMOUS difference between Central or Eastern Oregon orchard grass and that grown in wetter, western Oregon. THAT is junk, as I learned the hard way.

I currently feed Central Oregon orchard grass plus LMF Prime Time feed, with beet pulp in the winter to increase hydration. I'm considering adding a small amount of alfalfa pellets in hopes of improving their toplines without adding to their bellies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had been breeding horses for over 30 years (10 years AQHA and 20 years Minis). I do not like alfalfa for brood mares...too much protein, which is very hard on the kidneys, especially on the broodmares since they are doing double duty while carrying a foal. Also it's hard to get it just right so that it's not too stemmy, which means a lot of waste. Up north I fed orchard grass. Down here, I fed Bermuda...2nd or 3rd cutting...never first crop if I could avoid it. VERY few cases of colic (NONE since moving south and feeding only Bermuda). VERY good conception rates.

mine gets timothy and clover hay. and besides pellet he also gets chopped alfalfa and beet pulp without molasses
laugh.gif

We only feed grass/alfalfa and only 1st cut because that's all we get from our field. Then we buy the rest of our hay from a neighbor which is also 1st cut grass/alfalfa. Most of the times here they only get one cutting, but we had so much spring rain that most got a second cut and if they had irrigation they got a 3rd one. We even got a very small second, but it got rained on so the cows get that
default_yes.gif

Don't feed any grain unless someone needs it, but they are all fat as pigs so they really don't need anything extra!

Blessings,

Jenny

We give about 90% grass mix hay (timothy and orchard grasses) with about 10% alfalfa hay. We were getting a combined bale, but found it cheaper to buy more of the grass in its own bale and the alfalfa separately. I believe the alfalfa is partially responsible for turning around our hard keeper's appetite. I see that she gets more straight alfalfa than the others. Everyone else is just this side of overweight, so they don't need the richer grass, I think. I may experiment with that yet.

On days when they don't get any pasture time, they get fed hay 3-4 times a day (7-8a.m. feed, noon, between 3-4 and at 7-8 p.m feed). Right now, all but the hard keeper are getting a combined 1% of their weight in hay (about 12 lbs). The hard keeper gets up to 2lbs of the alfalfa a day. She gets separated at the a.m. & p.m feeding times to allow her to eat her hay unbothered by the rest. She's given at least an hour, often more, to eat both her grain and as much of her hay as she wants. The rest of the day she shares with the others.

We give about 90% grass mix hay (timothy and orchard grasses) with about 10% alfalfa hay. We were getting a combined bale, but found it cheaper to buy more of the grass in its own bale and the alfalfa separately. I believe the alfalfa is partially responsible for turning around our hard keeper's appetite. I see that she gets more straight alfalfa than the others. Everyone else is just this side of overweight, so they don't need the richer grass, I think. I may experiment with that yet.

On days when they don't get any pasture time, they get fed hay 3-4 times a day (7-8a.m. feed, noon, between 3-4 and at 7-8 p.m feed). Right now, all but the hard keeper are getting a combined 1% of their weight in hay (about 12 lbs). The hard keeper gets up to 2lbs of the alfalfa a day. She gets separated at the a.m. & p.m feeding times to allow her to eat her hay unbothered by the rest. She's given at least an hour, often more, to eat both her grain and as much of her hay as she wants. The rest of the day she shares with the others.
Is this a typo or are your figures for a saddle horse? 12lbs would be 1% of 1200lbs.

Is this a typo or are your figures for a saddle horse? 12lbs would be 1% of 1200lbs.
No, it's correct. The combined weight of these 5 horses is just under 1200 (300, 250, 225, 224, 195 respectively) lbs. I feed them together so I determine how much hay to put out for them collectively based on their combined weight. So throughout the day I put out between 12-15lbs of hay (to account for the hard keeper who generally eats with them except at the a.m. and p.m. feeds and is then give alfalfa separately) spreadout between 3-4 times per day.

Also, I know their weights because I have them weighed yearly in July on a portable scale that the equine rep from the mill we use will bring out for us.

Ahhh, now that makes sense.
default_rolleyes.gif
I do the same type of calculation to feed my groups. I aim for closer to 2% of there weight in winter but knowing how much each horse needs to maintain good health helps alot. i wish I had a scale to use but i have just learned to estimate each horses weight (think I am getting not too bad at it since they are for the most part at good weight and the vet agrees with my weights) based on knowing the (usual) weight of a few. Thanks for clarifying.

We have a lot of hay options around here, but I go back and forth between the grass hay and alfalfa hay depending on what I can get and when I can get it. Its about 50/50 up in the barn right now. My preference is the grass hay, and I will feed 1st cutting if I have to but I rather do 2nd.

Ahhh, now that makes sense.
default_rolleyes.gif
I do the same type of calculation to feed my groups. I aim for closer to 2% of there weight in winter but knowing how much each horse needs to maintain good health helps alot. i wish I had a scale to use but i have just learned to estimate each horses weight (think I am getting not too bad at it since they are for the most part at good weight and the vet agrees with my weights) based on knowing the (usual) weight of a few. Thanks for clarifying.
As winter gets closer, we'll evaluate if we need to bump anyone up to 2%. Usually, I like to free feed in the winter so they keep warm without too much other intervention from me. Only the hard keeper needs to routinely be blanketed.

Latest posts

Back