hay cost?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Oregon I pay $200.00 a ton for my grassy alfalfa hay. That works out to be $13.50 a bale. Hay prices are killing everyone here!! I know a lot of people have been forced to cut back or sell out completely because they can't afford hay. My friend went to Grange Co Op yesterday and said a bale of horrible big stemmed alfalafa was $16.95!! She bought it as hay is also impossible to buy in small quanities here it all gets shipped out by semi loads.

The best cost I have found here in Northern Nevada is $15.50 for Alfalfa/grass mix $13 for alfalfa. 100-120lb bales. Now I think there are some places around that have some cheeper prices but, when I got sick I sold my tryck and friends pick up my hay for me monthly. So I get what I can. I was thinking of getting alfalfa/ grass cubes but they are $7.50 for a 50# bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're in SW Missouri, and we bought orchard grass mixed hay for $3.00/bale in the field. This was 2nd cutting hay, and the bales were between 55 & 60 lbs.

Pam C.

In the spring we paid $5.00 a bale for 1st cutting left over from 2007 and in August we paid $6.00 for 2nd cutting that came right off the field and was delivered and stacked in the barn! The 2nd cutting was SO much nicer nicer and gets all cleaned up, NOTHING left over! BTW, we're in Eastern PA and the bales are about 40lbs.

We are located in south east Arizona. We just picked up a 1/2 semi load of Bermuda consisting of four squeezes with 64 bales per squeeze. Even in bulk it averaged $14.00 per bale! Ouch!

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Good quailty hay is hard to find in South Carolina. I feed Timothy/Alfalfa/Orchard mixed. I can get a cube of this 1200lb cube for $130.00 and the square bales 70 to 80 lb bales for $14.00. OUCH! This is bad since last year I only paid $5.50 a square bale for the same thing and for Round bale of T/A/O I paid $25.00.

Kansas - We cut and bale our own hay....We mainly Round bale ours so we also buy from other people as I like to keep square bales as well.. I bought some good, clean square bales of brome - shedded - no rain - for $3.50 a bale. And then I can get prairie hay - shedded and no rain in square bales for $3.00... I know other people in the area are selling for 4.50-$6.00 a bale and getting it as well but we buy from the same people each year and so we know we are getting good hay and they know that they have a return buyer guaranteed each year
default_smile.png
[SIZE=12pt]Hey Tess
default_saludando.gif
[/SIZE]

I was wondering if I could get your hay suppliers name and Phone #. If we ever get this house sold here in Colorado and get to move to Glasco, I'll need someone who sells good hay
default_smile.png
And you're not too far away
default_biggrin.png
It would be a relief to have a name in hand
default_yes.gif

Thanks,

Joy

In Arizona I waited until the cutting was a short/medium burmuda, before investing in a squeeze of hay.

It ran $11.00 back then per each 120 lb bale back in August.

Its not a bad deal if it is quality hay that your horses love.

North East Texas

Prefer Costal Square Bales

(Alfa I get as pellets instead)

Depends on what stage its at - I've gotten in the field for $2.00 a bale (that ended being ok/picked thru quality - I think it was let go too long there were lots of seed head stems in it that none of us liked - prickly little things hiding in there)

and on avg $4.50-5.50 for delivered and stacked - I'll take delivered and stacked any day I can.

Good quality costal mix - not super but good quality - always seem to be some weeds in there but not anything I worry is harmful feeding wise.

$4/bale for local hay (in Lebam, WA)

Kari

Middle of Michigan

3.50 3rd cutting grass 65-70#

4.50 3rd cutting alfalfa 60-65#

Latest posts

Back