hay cost?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernmi

Reaction score
What state are you in and how much are your square bales running?

TX:

Coastal (grass) $4.00/bale barn kept - NOT the norm! I have an excellent supplier who loves me!

Alfalfa (NM) $15.50 - Co-op

We bought in Sept. it's Orchard/Alfalfa mix $7.00 square bale at 60 Lbs a piece, from the feed store. S.W. Mo. TJ

Last edited:
$1.75 for what i consider "picking through" hay that i bought early this year that is there for them to "pick through"...then there is my my alfalfa / orchard grass mix hay whcih is $2.50-$3.50 for 50-60lb bales...

I have twenty 700-800 pound round bales put away that are timathy, alfalfa, orchard grass and a general mix....i paid $20 per round bale, nearly high way robbery if you ask me !

Southeast Pa. Really clean and fine and really heavy bales of mixed grass bales for $8.50 each delivered.

Farmington, MN. I get alfalfa bales. About 50lb bales for $3.50, 2nd and 3rd cutting, delivered and stacked.
default_biggrin.png
My farmer likes me too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I WISH I had your prices!

I pay $18.50 for a compressed Timothy bale (about 85 lbs I think). Luckily I just have 1 horse!
default_smile.png

Oh, and I'm in Florida... (at least for now!)

SoCal

Alalfa hay 100lb fine steam good quality for 15.00 a bale and good quality bremuda for 10.00-12.00 a 80lb bale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here on the North Shore of Massachusetts I pay $9.80 bale from my local Co-Op feed store. Have found some local stuff for about $7.00 Ugh!!!

I have twenty 700-800 pound round bales put away that are timathy, alfalfa, orchard grass and a general mix....i paid $20 per round bale, nearly high way robbery if you ask me !
Are you saying you paid too much? Or, you got a great deal on the rounds? Just trying to clarify. I'd love to find some bales that sound like that, if they are really nice bales.

South Florida...Coastal $7.95 a square bale, Alfalfa Compressed 60# $17.00, Orchard/Alfalfa 50/50 mix 80# Compressed $17.50. Round Roll of Coastal $75.00. And those prices are on the low end for my area!!!
default_wacko.png

Are you saying you paid too much? Or, you got a great deal on the rounds? Just trying to clarify. I'd love to find some bales that sound like that, if they are really nice bales.
They are GREAT Bales and you will not at all find my complaining. The mares eat every last bit and they were stored inside and dry, not a spot of dust or mold ...they smell sweet and green, just great, i still cannot believe the price we got them at...im hoping i can "steal" some more from him at that price
default_smile.png

They are GREAT Bales and you will not at all find my complaining. The mares eat every last bit and they were stored inside and dry, not a spot of dust or mold ...they smell sweet and green, just great, i still cannot believe the price we got them at...im hoping i can "steal" some more from him at that price
default_smile.png
Gotcha. In that case, I want some too.
default_wink.png

Here in Maine I get locally grown timothy/grass mix for $5.00 to $6.00 a bale- 30 lb. bales, or a round bale is about $40-$50.

Well, I'm in Canada so maybe it doesn't count as an answer to your question (North central British Columbia) but the average square here is 65lb and for a basic timothy Orchard grass mix they sell for 4.50 a bale. I buy my hay (except for a dozen or so small squares for traveling) in 1500 - 1800lb square bales (I don't care to fight with peeling the hay off of the rounds) they are a nice alfalfa, timothy and orchard grass mix and the horses LOVE the hay. I paid $77 each for them this year and last year they were 85 each from a different supplier. I did have to take a semi load at that price but we just sold off the extra to others around us.

[SIZE=10pt]I don't have any pregos this year so I buy mixed (fescue orchard and other grasses) round bales that weigh in at about 1200 to 1500 pounds. One will last me 9 days with feeding 16 minis and one biggy. I pay $30.00 a bale and it is barn kept. First cutting this year. My horses clean every bit of it up. I don't let them have free choice. I feed it out to each pen myself. Oh and I live in Missouri.[/SIZE]

April

Latest posts

Back