hay cost?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northern NY: First cutting; $2.00. Second cutting; $2.50. This second cutting is super hay loaded with alfalfa and clover!

We sell 2nd cut orchard grass mixed hay for $5.00 bale about 35-40 lbs at the farm. Feed store gets about $6.00 for first cutting here in southern Maine.

Mark

Homegrown here, too! Guess I am really, really, really fortunate!

If one would need to buy- $3.50-$4.00 brome hay and around $8.00 alfalfa. Sounds about average, I guess, as compared to the others who have posted.

Peggy

Michigan - this year I paid 4.00 for 1st cutting grass hay and 5.00 for 2nd cutting mix of Timothy and Alfalfa - we decided this year to work up our own field and plant so next years hay will be free - now you can't get a better price than that!
default_wink.png
and................whatever we don't use we will sell. It's a win-win.

We paid this year between 3.50 and 4.00 a bale for the stuff we bought - just a nice grass hay - 2nd cutting, I think. We baled alot of our own this year - a grass hay and an alfalfa mix. We planted the alfalfa mix 2 years ago and finally this year we got a decent cutting off of it. I think I will look into some round bales for next year - seems like alot of you use them.

Riverdance I love that baby in your avatar!!!

Thank you, I really like her too!! She is now a coming two year old, just as dainty and refined as she was as a baby. She also has the most incredible trot. I am hoping for a future World Champion Single Pleasure horse.

She had a full sister born this year (a palomino), even better than her. Funny, as DeLa (the avatar filly), is a cremello and her sister is a palomino. Both dad (Windchaser) and mom (a gold Melody Boy great granddaughter) are buckskins. I repeated the breeding again for 2009. If I keep getting fillys like these, I will have a whole herd of sisters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have twenty 700-800 pound round bales put away that are timathy, alfalfa, orchard grass and a general mix....i paid $20 per round bale, nearly high way robbery if you ask me !
Are you saying you paid too much? Or, you got a great deal on the rounds? Just trying to clarify. I'd love to find some bales that sound like that, if they are really nice bales.
OMG I WISH $20 YIKES! ITs $65 for crappy Coastal!

Free!!
default_biggrin.png
We gave our neighbor our field to round bale since we had some weeds in it. So he sent his grandson up to one of his super clean fields, had him square bale it for me and even had him load it all in the semi trailer across the street from me. So I just hop across the street and get me as many bales as I want. It is packed to the roof and it smells so wonderful! I still laugh when I open the doors knowing its all mine! LOL

Here in Manitoba we're paying $4.75 and $5.00 for 60 lbs bales of timothy/alfalfa, delivered. $3.00 for 50 lb timothy bales, plus a $50 delivery fee (gas)--they bring about 140 on a load--the straight timothy has thistle in it--that doesn't please me at all as it's sticker-y to handle, but the horses love it. We had so much rain just at haying time this past summer that it was hard to get hay up in good shape--the guy we got brome hay from last year lost all his brome to rain this year, so we had to scramble to find an alternate source of grass hay.

I picked up a few 800 lb round bales of brome for $30 each and 1200 lb round bales of prairie grass/alfalfa for $40 each.

Straw is $2.10 delivered...wheat & barley this year.

Sigh. I think of the good old days when straw was 25 cents a bale and hay was $1.25 for real nice brome or brome/alfalfa.

Northern Wisc~ we raise our own and keep out about 5,000 small bales and 100 rounds for ourselves then sell our "extra" small square bales for $2.00 a bale, our large rounds , avg. weight 1,200#s for $45.00. All our hay is Kentucky pasture blend, which is alfalfa, timothy, grass, but they do add extra bags of alfalfa seed when planting so it does have alot of alfalfa in it. Lucky we do raise our own, since I have 38 minis, plus we have angus.

SW Oklahoma....We have a guy down the street that we buy alfalfa from $5.00 a bale 60-70 lbs. Good alfalfa. If we have to buy from the hay broker $12.00-$15.00 a bale. This is the best alfalfa that we have found. He also sprays and fertilizes also. He does not sell to the public. Art was coming home one night and saw him (older guy) struggling to load the bales on a trailer. Art stopped and helped him, so he was grateful and now we get good hay!
default_biggrin.png

Thumb area of Michigan. Most first cut is going for $5 a bale or $40 a round. I did find rounds for $25 ( not the greatest, had some weeds in it) and they only had two left, which I took. I'm now on the hunt for more.

Dang - we are getting robbed out here in NW Washington - 100# bale of orchard grass = $18.75/bale & that does NOT cover the $100 delivery charge!
default_new_shocked.gif

It's killing me! ! !
default_no.gif

Stac

I hay our place and sell half to cover our costs, so we pay nothing. If we kept the whole lot for ourselfs.. last year the hay guy charged $1.60 a bale for 65lb bales. And boy...did we have a good hay year, last season!!

Now if I had to buy hay from the local feed store.. (before the gas hike is when I last looked), 65lb bale of Orchard or local grass hay was going for $25.90 with no discount for a ton. Not that any one knows what a true ton is any more. Anyway.. sure it is highter now.

[SIZE=12pt]I live in Southwest Colorado. There is good hay around for 5-7 dollars a 65-70 lb bale, but I buy three string 100 pound bales for 14.00. It is the prettiest hay I have ever seen. The farm that produces it has dang near any mix you want or strait alfafa or strait grass. It is all certified hay and moisture checked. The horses don't leave a bit on the ground. It's worth it to me to feed the very best. I can get good hay for cheaper (5.00 a bale) but it always seems to fluctuate in quality. This farm is consistant and the horses love it
default_aktion033.gif
[/SIZE]

Joy

Hey, Riverdance, we're in Farmington -WI. But we drive 90 miles north to buy good hay. Get small squares (40-50 lb) for $3.50 second cutting of brome 30-50% alfalfa. It's good; stay green all winter. I liked last years third cutting better but as mentioned the weather didn't cooperate around here for a 3rd cutting this year.

Yes, there are farmers nearer that bale but it's for cattle and not nice for the minis. Peggy, my sis lives in Ks. and she loved the brome so much that I now drive total 180 miles to get a years supply.

Hey, Riverdance, we're in Farmington -WI. But we drive 90 miles north to buy good hay. Get small squares (40-50 lb) for $3.50 second cutting of brome 30-50% alfalfa. It's good; stay green all winter. I liked last years third cutting better but as mentioned the weather didn't cooperate around here for a 3rd cutting this year. Yes, there are farmers nearer that bale but it's for cattle and not nice for the minis. Peggy, my sis lives in Ks. and she loved the brome so much that I now drive total 180 miles to get a years supply.

Where is Farmington WI? I am 30 minutes outside of St. Paul, 40 minutes outside Minniapolis. I live in a rural community, but the city as well as towns are really close to get anything I want, or do anything I want. I like it. I kind of have the best of both worlds. Now if we could only have longer Springs and Falls and shorter winters.
default_biggrin.png

Central VA, $8.00 mixed grass 50 pound bale, 15.75 40- llb /alfalfa.

Lyn

Kansas - We cut and bale our own hay....We mainly Round bale ours so we also buy from other people as I like to keep square bales as well.. I bought some good, clean square bales of brome - shedded - no rain - for $3.50 a bale. And then I can get prairie hay - shedded and no rain in square bales for $3.00...

I know other people in the area are selling for 4.50-$6.00 a bale and getting it as well but we buy from the same people each year and so we know we are getting good hay and they know that they have a return buyer guaranteed each year
default_smile.png

50 lbs bales of bahia grass were $5.25 in August. They are now $7.00, I bought a barn full in July. 1,000 lbs rounds of bahia are $55. I buy those as I need them. I have a guy that keeps them in his barn until I need them. He sells them for the field for $45. I use the square bales in the stalls and use the round bales in the hay rings outside for the day time. I place a tarp over the hayrings and it keeps it dry.

--Mike in South Mississippi

Latest posts

Back