Having a melt down

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherokee Rose

Reaction score
I don't usually get on here and express my feelings ..but this time I'm just hoping I've made the right choice. Our stallion of many years Tom A Hawk I've decided to geld...I've made or trying to make the tough decision to stop breeding ..or least only having a foal here and there...in which I do have other stallions available that I could use. Tom is 19 so I'm worried about him being to old...but from what I'm told the benefits out way the risk. I just feel he will be so much better off being with the girls we will have remaining here. If you have experince gelding an older stallion I would love to here from you...I thought this would be so much easier for me than it is...it's hard to let a dream go......
default_no.gif

I don't have any experience gelding older stallions, but just want you to know you aren't alone in your tough decisions. And I can sure relate to how hard it is to let a dream go. I hope others with more experience can give you the answer you are looking for about gelding an older stallion. Good luck, whatever you decide.

A good friend of mine recently took in a rescue stallion, he is 16 years old. He was underweight and very hard to handle - I mean VERY.

She took him in and had him gelded the same day. He recovered without incident and was such a gentleman after the procedure.

In the end, he never had an issue with the surgery, and he's a mighty sweet gelding now.

Best of luck!

I can't offer any advice on gelding him (the oldest Ive had gelded was 7) ....just wanted to say Ive been to your website for a look at Tom and he is GORGEOUS !!!

He is such a beautiful boy!!! I understand your meltdown!! No experience with one that old but have known of others that have done it with fairly aged horses. Good luck- no chance to lease him out or something else to someone to use?

I used to own a leopard brother to your Tom A Hawk and he was one of the most wonderful horses I have ever had the chance to own. Beautiful, smart, and so kind. He was my gentle giant. I have always been a fan of your boy-he reminds me of his brother!

I gelded a 16 year old stallion this year so he could retire and have run of the farm. During the breeding season he is always nonstop on the go-pacing, pacing, pacing and with his two bad shoulders, we wanted him to settle down and just enjoy being a lazy horse for a while. He had a slight reaction to the sedative and came to about 5 minutes before the vet was all the way done (I was horrified, but my vet wouldn't give him any more sedative due to his age). When he was done though, he jumped up right away and paced his stall a few times and that was that. No infection (the vet said he had a higher risk of developing an infection because of his age) and it didn't slow him down at all. He is now out with our mares enjoying all the pasture time. This winter I'm going to keep him with my foals to babysit. I think he is much happier now.

Hugs to you-sit down tonight and relax with a big cup of cocoa and think about the positives and negative.s Make the right choice for Tom.

I used to own a leopard brother to your Tom A Hawk and he was one of the most wonderful horses I have ever had the chance to own. Beautiful, smart, and so kind. He was my gentle giant. I have always been a fan of your boy-he reminds me of his brother!

I gelded a 16 year old stallion this year so he could retire and have run of the farm. During the breeding season he is always nonstop on the go-pacing, pacing, pacing and with his two bad shoulders, we wanted him to settle down and just enjoy being a lazy horse for a while. He had a slight reaction to the sedative and came to about 5 minutes before the vet was all the way done (I was horrified, but my vet wouldn't give him any more sedative due to his age). When he was done though, he jumped up right away and paced his stall a few times and that was that. No infection (the vet said he had a higher risk of developing an infection because of his age) and it didn't slow him down at all. He is now out with our mares enjoying all the pasture time. This winter I'm going to keep him with my foals to babysit. I think he is much happier now.

Hugs to you-sit down tonight and relax with a big cup of cocoa and think about the positives and negative.s Make the right choice for Tom.

I have had several older boys done-17, 15, 10 All were done at the vet clinic and stayed overnight just in case there were problems since bleeding may be more profuse than in a younger stallion.I always had all castrations done according to the Signs of the Knees or Feet(Old timers thought and belief) since there is less blood flow to the testicles.only 1 had a problem and that was 1 done in late November and a very cold spell-too cold to do much hosing.I just had my homozygous Sid's Rebel grandson done in November since I am no longer breeding.Now my geldings can go out with other boys or the girls and everyone is much happier especially me.Good luck

Sorry you're going through this. I know what it's like to let a dream go - my "dream" stallion produced a dwarf and therefore was gelded immediately. It was heartbreaking. So many dreams lost but in my situation, for the best as he could have passed that on and on if I'd continued to breed with him. So hugs to you.

As for the age question, I took in a rescue a few years back. My vet estimated he was in his early 20s at the time. He was wild and had no manners. Had him gelded on the say day as a 2 yr old. Wiz (the old man) was up on his feet and walking around like nothing had happened within minutes of waking up. The 2 yr old took much longer to get his legs back and bled longer than Wiz. I'm a believer that the benefits far outweigh the risks.

All the best to you.

I am sure this was a very tough decision for you, but he will be lots happier living out his life with the rest of the herd. I am in the process of buying one of his daughters and am excited to get her since I have always admired him!

Thank you all for your understanding replys..this has to be one of the toughest decsisions that I have had to make in awhile. Laurie...I don't think I could part with him to lease him out...it's safe to he's my heart horse..and I want to keep close. I thought about running 1 mare with him but that's still 1 foal you have to try and find a good home for.

omht...who was the brother you had of his??

Maple hollow...can you tell who the daughter is your getting??
default_smile.png

Again Thank You all...your experinces and understanding are much welcomed......Carrie

Thank you all for your understanding replys..this has to be one of the toughest decsisions that I have had to make in awhile. Laurie...I don't think I could part with him to lease him out...it's safe to he's my heart horse..and I want to keep close. I thought about running 1 mare with him but that's still 1 foal you have to try and find a good home for.

Maple hollow...can you tell who the daughter is your getting??
smile.gif

Again Thank You all...your experinces and understanding are much welcomed......Carrie

I will pm you, I dont want to say publicly until it is a done deal and she is here LOL!

I can't comment on the gelding an older stallion issue, but I gelded my younger stallion when I decided to stop breeding--and I've never looked back. Now there's time and energy to do other things with my horses. Plus there's more money in the bank for not having to pay for pregnancy tests, extra feed, vet checks, etc. And, the best part of all, I don't have to make my heart bleed by selling babies.
default_smile.png

I love foaling out and working with babies, but there's a time to recognize when it's time to stop. I've never looked back. Thank you for loving your stallion enough to have him gelded so he can live a gentler life. Good luck!

His name was Jack-A-Dandy. He was a silver bay leopard appaloosa by Jandts Bay N Bee and out of a Jandts mare. He was a big boy though at 36.5" but was very nice-definitely before his time, especially for an appaloosa.

Visited your website and loved seeing your old ARC girls by the way! Almost all of our broodmares are either ARC or ARC bred-very reliable old gals they are
default_smile.png

I know the feeling your are experiancing. I am gelding my palomino stallion in november after his last show. He is 7. I have gelded older ones with no or very little after effects. Tom should do very well.

Good luck. It is a hard decision as I have been mulling mine over for a year now.

Hi Carrie. I know this is a hard decision for you to make, but it sounds like deep down, you know it is best for several reasons. I am sure he'll do just fine with it, and he'll be much happier to be in with "his girls", year 'round. I wish you and Tom the best of luck! I think what you need is a nice long trail ride on a gaited horse!
wink.gif
My offer still stands!
yes.gif

We gelded a 13 yr old this spring. He had no problems and is so much happier running with the other geldings and young mares.

I have been thinking about this one, on and off, myself. Keep in mind that having him gelded may not stop his desire to breed and he will still be able to do so. No problem with his getting anyone pregnant but will need to watch for infections.

Good Luck,

Robin

I had my 5 year old stallion gelded this past spring and I'm so glad I did. He's always been a good boy but he's even better now.

Can you freeze semen in miniatures for later use? If you can that would be another option for you..

Latest posts

Back