Have your breeding goals changed since you got started?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
I see a lot of ads where people are selling because they are changing direction for their breeding program and I know the bigger minis and Shetlands are becoming more popular, so I wonder how many mini breeders are changing their goals?

When we got started in 2004, our goal was to breed versatile, high quality "A" size pinto minis, registered and shown with the Pinto Association (also A & R). Our selection criteria were pretty strict - Rowdy, Blue Boy and/or Gold Melody Boy blood, no apps anywhere in the pedigree, and National/World Champions somewhere in the family. And of course good balanced, conformation, a definite personality, and lovely movement. Our goals have not changed, although maybe we are setting our sights a bit higher than just Pinto shows....

So - are your goals the same as when you started (and when was that?) or have they changed?

Mine sure have. We bred A/R registered minis. I just finished selling off my mini stock. Sadly, we didn't have romm for everyone. I kept 3 mini mares. They will cross well with my new boys. And yes I took the plunge into Shetlands that can be registered with PtHa. Some are AMHR/ASPC and some are a little taller. But we love them.

We started out in 1991 with what we thought were miniatures. They were the taller type and AMHR registered only, and both fillies. "

When we decided to get serious we changed our focus to "tinies".

While there are a couple of taller girls here, at 32 inches, we prefer 30 inches or less and the two taller horses are only here because they are special, and from our stock.

We find it's harder to locate really nice small horses and we have also noticed that many people are going to shetlands these days.

Our stallions are under 30 inches and very refined so we hope that over the last part of our miniature horse career we can have tiny babies with no difficulties.

We are older and hope to be able to carry on for 5 more years, God willing, and the creek don't rise
default_smile.png

THe most difficult birth we had here was our tallest filly at 32 inches, who had a tough time delivering the only two tiny foals she has had. My theory on her is that she has unbelievable contractions and has the foal delivered in no time with a lot of force and strain which causes a tear. I wouldn't mind hearing if there are others out there who think that some horses have stronger and harder contractions that cause injury.

Mine sure did!

I never planed on breeding even owning minis for that fact! I actually was in the middle of purchasing 2 draft foals when I stummbled across my now herd sire Bobby. He looks just like a mini draft at 30.5" tall and as soon as I laid eyes on him, I backed out of the draft foals and bought him instead. I still never planed on breeding but ended up getting a mare for him and throught the years of educating myself about confirmation, pedigrees, registries, and such. My small herd of 2 minis has grown into a very nice quality herd of 7 now that is mainly bays, roans, and buckskins that carry the bloodlines of King Supreme, Buckeroo, Johnstons, Komokos, Dandy, GMB, and Little Kings. I have all A/R reg minis with great confirmation that each mare and stallion compleats each other and have now produced 3 very nice foals with 3 more expected in the spring.

2 studs

4 sr mares

1 jr mare

YES- I DO NOT BREED ANYMORE!!! I have found a line I like and I buy from that particular farm. I get the sex, color and height I want! no waiting for 11 mos. it has been the best thing ever for me! 100% worth it!

Yes, I would have to say I am always fine tuning my breeding stock.

As we have added new stallions over the 17 years, I have needed new mares for them.

As the horses have produced great foals I have had to decide if I should keep the foal, keep the parents, or both!

I think if you have a serious breeding program and are striving for an excellent horse you are always chenging to some extent. Either adding new stock, or changing who you are breeding your mares to.

Ours did change, we started with the best we could afford in the late 80's so our horse were only AMHR only and b size mares. Which was very good it taught us a lot about minis and we had easy foaling mares. We learned on the larger mares then got started getting smaller mares and A and R reg. We also got bitten by the appy bug and started getting some of them. And now it changed again in that we want to breed and introduce some lines and fancy moving minis to improve our horses movement. We had good conformation and pretty and they won in halter but I want something that moves like a open pleasure horse.

Yes, mine have changed greatly. Wonderful what knowledge will do to plans. After several years of studing and going to shows and watching what is winning, I now have a direction.

The stallion I have is not in my plans, although very nice, not the type I am after. I really like the looks of the First Knight horses, KC has really gotten her homework completed. My plans are to use sons of First Knight Bit O Hot Shot. . .love what he is producing. . .and their sons.

When ever you start on a new adventure there is always a learning curve . . .I am still learning. Proof will be in the results.

I started out with "R" horses and a homozygous stallion and height was not an issue as long as they were 36" or under. I was after the typical tobiano pinto pattern.

Then I learned about horse colors and patterns. I went to auction sales and educated myself and talked to other miniature horse breeders. I made a few bad purchases... you live and learn.

Now I want to focus on A/R registered horses so height does matter, I still have a 35" mare that was from the original group but she fits my program other than her height. I also now want to produce foals that have either the overo or sabino gene. I personally have trouble selling solid red foals. So I bought a Critter Creek bred cremello stallion so he takes care of the "red" issue. I love blue eyes and I like dilute colors. I then discovered that the champagne color in minis was a little special so I have two champagne mares. I think I have a unique group of mares. I am pretty satisfied with the horses I own and the new direction I am heading toward.

We never actually "got into" this for breeding. I wanted minis that I could show since I thought this body had given up (arthritis) on being able to ride. But I was carefull to always get double registered A/R just in case I did want to breed.

Now, however, my plans on showing are changing. I LOVE driving and I want AMHR/ASPC for the action. I'm tired of looking and hoping for that one in a million tiny one with action included.

I still won't let my guys go anywhere (none for sale) and they'll still have to "work" at showing for me but I definitely am looking hard at the Shetland shows too.

Last edited by a moderator:
We got into minis by rescueing a sad little weanling colt that had been thrown in with four BIG horses in a 16 x 16 stall.
default_no.gif
Shoved in a corner and afraid to move I went in after the little guy and got him out of there...PRONTO...along with a few choice words for the seller
default_1857272.gif
We decided that we enjoyed the minis and started to research more and added to our little herd. We love Pintos
default_yes.gif
and LOVE tiny
default_yes.gif
We have sold some of our minis and downsized just a bit because of health issues but I am on the mend
default_aktion033.gif
Love my minis and hubby who even handed me his CC and told me to buy this special little stallion I had been eyeballing
default_new_shocked.gif
so even though we are smaller in size and minis we are going strong
default_wink.png
P.S. that little colt was gelded and given to a little boy as a Christmas present 3 years ago and renamed to "CHIEF" he still owns him even though he is a teenager and six foot now
default_wub.png

I started in 1982, so much has changed with my program since then, but my goals have not. It is always evolving....a constant work in progress. With that said, my favorite/best mare is 22 this year (purchased when she was 6) and without a doubt my best purchase ever. And I have my second stallion (purchased at 6 months old) I ever bought too, he is 21. While I look forward to new crosses...these two still throw me some of my best foals.

Yep, we started with AMHR B size horses, appaloosa/pintaloosa patterns..

Now I've shifted away from the appies and focusing more on AMHA/AMHR (and still a few AMHR) horses in the 31-34" height range, with more of today's show lines.. I'm really excited about my recent purchases and hope that I can better my program with them.. Eagerly awaiting the first foals by my new herdsire, his first 2 foals ever are OUTSTANDING, hoping our crosses result in the same quality foals, and hopefully I can get him and his foals (and myself!) into the showring in 2010! Yikes!

We started with one colt as a pet, evolved into showing him, got a mare, decided said colt wasn't good enough to stay a stallion, bought a nicer stallion.... started out wanting the tinies. Now we like the "bigger" horses, preferably AMHA/AMHR, about 33", as we like DRIVING horses and being rather large women, we look silly behind our 29" guy.....
default_laugh.png
We do have several AMHR/ASPC horses, the one stallion should stay small enough to hardship AMHA (if we can scrape the $$ up)

We like the colorful horses, too. Our stallions are dun LWO, sorrel sabino, buckskin, silver frame, silver tovero and solid chestnut. Mares range everywhere from solid black to silver dapple pinto to cremello/perlino, although no apps.

Lucy

I can't say that my goals have changed so much as I've developed a better eye for what I really like! I still want to breed from champion bloodlines and of course conformation comes first but since I love showing Pinto I still like color. I still like the taller "A"s though now I've gelded and am keeping one of my mini's that have gone over because I absolutely love everything about him and can't bear not to be the one showing him!!
default_smile.png
Thankfully Pinto has a "B" division!! I was always adamant that I didn't want to do "B"s and while I still would prefer them to stay just under 34" I'm really appreciating what the taller mini's have to offer. I still haven't seen what my stallion will produce with a few of my mares but I'm hoping they'll be as nice as I think they should be!
default_smile.png

I can't say my/our goals have changed. We have only had these minis (had one in the 70's) for 4 years now. Jessie got our first one (a mare) for her birthday. At that time we got what was available here in town. Then I was getting a settlement from a car accident and I bought the second mare. She was in foal and I brought her to Nevada from CA. She foaled so there were 3. My two mares raised him and everything was fine. My brother wanted a mare so I looked and found my Ellie. Now we have 4. Gelding is very expensive here so, not planed, we have 2 foals due. I am not real thrilled I would have liked a more refined stud. But, we are going to decide if he gets gelded after the foals come. If I like what he produces he stays a stud. If I don't like what he throws or they are just average, my farrier told me she just spent $150 to geld her colt so if his babies don't wow me she will be giving me her vets number. My horses all range from 31 3/4" (measured at the show) 32" on her papers to 34" (dead on) I like the 30"-34" range because I feel sorry for the tiny refined horses trying to pull my big behind behind them. We do want to try some halter with the foals.

Yes, we have changed a great deal over the years. When we first got into this our first thought was color. We had no idea how to judge a horse conformationally. We have been blessed with alot of guidance from our trainers and other, more experienced, horse people. We were also lucky to start out with a beautiful SRF mare that we just happened to like...not knowing that we got a steal on her.

Our stallion is a First Knight horse and he has taken our breeding to a new level by producing the refinement and quality we need to win in the show ring..and then producing the same in their get. We have also introduced the Shetland into our program more and I love it. I'm happy with the direction we're going, but I'm sure it will continue to change over time.

“Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become.” ~ Mirela

Interesting topic and I really enjoyed reading all the responses. Thanks to evryone for taking the time.

Cindy got her first mini (an amhr mare) back in 1978, I was still doing the big horse thing (rodeo and some cutting) and begrudgingly gave up a pasture for the durn thing. Then as I got a little older and could not ride competively anymore. I cut down on the big horses to a point where we only had and still have a 40+ year old retired barrel horse and a 28 year old retired cutting horse in the late 80's.
default_wink.png

Cindy, was continuing to breed her small herd of mini and eventually we bought some AMHA horses to go along with the AMHR stock she had. We hardshipped in a few of the AMHR horses into AMHA and were breeding for the 34" and under horses we called little big horses all of which we tried to have double registered, getting rid of anything that matured out over 34" even if they could have qualified and stayed registered with AMHR. In 1997 we started showing AMHA and the rest has been down hill. The grandkids and I had found a new area of the equine world to enjoy.Which tickled Cindy to death, when she even finally got me into the ring on the end of the lead with a mini. LOL
default_wub.png

We then started adding lines to improve our little horses and eventually put together a herd of good quaity AMHR/AMHA horses that were winning and doing well in the show ring. Striving to produce refined balanced horses that were capable of winning in halter and driving also.
default_wacko.png

Then we started to move full circle and back towards the taller horses with a part of the herd ie: 36 - 38" AMHR horse and a few shetlands in the last couple of years. We have found we enjoy the people and the horses we saw at Congress and also at the AMHR National/area shows a lot. So we are showing a lot of combination shows (AMHA/AMHA or AMHR/ASPC) where we can show at least two of the three registries.
default_aktion033.gif

So the current 5 year plan is to commit part of our herd to the production of competitive shetlands and also the B size AMHR horses. While at the same time maintaining te AMHA/AMHR herd we have produced over the years.
default_yes.gif

Hopefully and with the diligent efforts that Cindy and Jose put into culling, evaluating, tweaking and working with the horses we can continue to produce balanced, "form to function" (to quote a friend's favorite saying) AMHR, AMHA & ASPC horses with great looks also.
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_wacko.png

BY THE WAY MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!! REMEMBER THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!

Last edited by a moderator:
I started in 1982, so much has changed with my program since then, but my goals have not. It is always evolving....a constant work in progress.
I agree with Tami!
default_smile.png
I bought my first miniature in 1989 and while my program has gone through changes, my goal has not. I add and remove horses as necessary to re-define my goals. I have a couple of young stallions that will join the breeding herd this spring and I can't wait to see what they sire.
default_smile.png

Yes I was going to start out in miniatures, bought a couple mares that were already bred. Had those foals and then I went to an auction and fell in love with two mares there. I ended up coming home with 2 shetland mares. Both bred. It was a rough winter, but we made it and then they had two foals. One of which still lives with me.

The next fall I came home with 2 stallions. Both nice in their own respects. And one miniature stallion, oh wait two. Since then one miniature stallion was traded for a shetland filly. And the other one stayed on. The one that stayed on I bred to my mares a year ago and one mare took, so I have one miniature filly this year.

Well that's not the end. I traded the filly's sire for a yearling Hackney pony.

Now my program has focus. I will not be breeding miniatures anymore, I will keep the mare and the filly. I know breed for Classic, Modern Pleasure and ASPR ponies. I love the direction the farm is going. I am very excited for next year as my first home bred ASPR pony will be a yearling and ready to show.

Nothing like getting your feet wet. Incidentally - my first miniature mare, she is very special to me and has a forever home here. She gets along great with the family.

Back