Have a new modern shetland

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious. I'm new to shetlands and I'm getting my first classic. But some of you guys are saying classic and some MP. Wouldn't he have to be shown by what he's registered as on his papers??? Just a thought. Maybe someone could clear this up for me.

PS-I think he's a pretty pony either way.
default_smile.png
I was told you train the shetlands a bit different than the minis in cart (from a trainer) since you want that action. So you don't restrain them as much. But I haven't taken lessons on how to do it yet (this fall). And to show them in halter, its best to show them with a tailer rather you're showing them classic or modern (required).

Kari,

The A and B designation on thier papers is no longer the valid way of showing, we are now showing by type.

Sweet Opal is correct. From the old way they had papers an A papered horse could show all the way through Modern. But a B papered horse could not show in Classic (going backwards so to speak).

Now the way the rules read - we show by type. Type is how the horse looks and moves. You could have a classic looking shetland, but its movement could put it into the MP division. And just the reverse, you could have a MP, but it totally look and move like a classic.

Hope this helps.

Makes total sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I figured you showed them as they are registered since moderns have hackney blood in them (right??) and classics don't.

Not all Moderns have hackney blood (at least close up) and some Classics have hackney blood (if showing by type alone).

Andrea

Boy, I have a lot to learn! Good thing I'm just getting a gelding and know where he shows. :DOH!

Latest posts

Back