Have a new modern shetland

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyo

Reaction score
We currently have a friend's modern shetland staying with us. He is absolutely stunning when he runs alone or with our minis in a pasture. Once haltered he leads nicely and loves neck rubs. However, we have never shown a modern and I do not want to do anything that will undo any intentional training. How are moderns trained differently from minis? Suggestions on what to do or not do. I have the AMHR/ASPC rulebook and will read the shetland section thoroughly.

First of all you will need to determine if he's a Modern or a Modern Pleasure. They are handled somewhat differently, particularly how they are shown.

Do you have pictures?

Sounds stunning!

Andrea

First of all you will need to determine if he's a Modern or a Modern Pleasure. They are handled somewhat differently, particularly how they are shown.

Do you have pictures?

Sounds stunning!

Andrea
I will try to take a picture tomorrow AM. I don't know which he would be. He has a lot of action even when just walking alongside you. His head is very upright. I think he was bred by Gerry & Buddy Morris near Ocala, Florida.

I second Andrea's request, if you could post some pics, we might be able to help.

Also if you go to American Shetlan Pony Forum (you can google that), they have the different divisions of shetlands out there and you can take a look at some of the postings for MP or M.

Glad to hear you have a nice addition! Congratulations!

I second Andrea's request, if you could post some pics, we might be able to help.

Also if you go to American Shetlan Pony Forum (you can google that), they have the different divisions of shetlands out there and you can take a look at some of the postings for MP or M.

Glad to hear you have a nice addition! Congratulations!
Picture removed as it was the wrong horse. My apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys!! I think u put the wrong picture up. Thats Royal in picture the Morris's young gelding that was just broke to cart. He is a buckskin pinto, your boy is a gray.

Hi guys!! I think u put the wrong picture up. Thats Royal in picture the Morris's young gelding that was just broke to cart. He is a buckskin pinto, your boy is a gray.
You are right Jenn. Gary said it was Deisel but... I apologize! Here is a few correct pictures. I took them myself this AM so I know it is him. he he

stephscard197.jpg

stephscard204.jpg

stephscard189.jpg

unshod he will show as a classic

if shod he is modern pleasure

don't worry about messing up his training- you'll be fine

just drive him and enjoy him

the only thing noteably different if you go to show him-

he sets his feet entirely by the halter (not by hand like the mini people)

and when you bait him he will stretch his body out as well as his neck

you shouldn't notice much difference in his driving training per say

just a very noteable difference in speed, action, and power

In all of the picures he looks classic to me. Can we get a pic of him say at his noraml trot.

If I had to choose between M and MP I would choose MP but you have to put shoes on him.
default_smile.png

Oppps Keely I didnt see your post. We said the same thing but Oh Well!

Last edited by a moderator:
To really know if hes classic or modern pleasure you have to see him move. From the one moving shot I would guess modern pleasure.

To really know if hes classic or modern pleasure you have to see him move. From the one moving shot I would guess modern pleasure.
The pics were all taken when he was naturally playing in one of our pastures this AM. He was trotting during the one picture. Do I need to take a short video?

Please forgive me for my ignorance. Besides show categories what difference does it make if he is classic or modern or modern pleasure? Is the only difference really that they need shoes to make them pick up their feet with more action? Is there a difference in the way he should be handled or trained, round penned, long lined, etc? Is there any reason not to desensitize him. Our minis all will follow me like a dog, all come to their names and are pesty they are so friendly. Do you clip for one category and not for others (modern VS classic)?

I disagree, the pic has him picking up pretty high, his neck set is high and angle is good for MP. You don't have to shoe him to show him MP. Shoes at first help make them pick up a bit better, but after they get used to the shoes, they trot along as if they don't have them.

Training - conditioning is what you need. For halter they need to park out a bit and learn to flatten their back, stretch their neck out, but to me, they don't want a level neck set when stretched, but a bit upward of their shoulder.

Gary extreme movement is penalized in the Classic division. To me your guy is very much Modern Pleasure both in type and movement.

As muffntuff said Modern Pleasures DO NOT need to wear shoes and if you have never shown a pony I would skip the shoes. With Modern Pleasure you set up usually in the middle. Then one by one each pony works the rail. With Modern Pleasure you are allowed a tailer. I suggest you use one to get the pony to really move out. Then you go back to center and set up for halter again.

I also have just gotten my first shetland - a Modern Pleasure and am working on fitting her right now. Any suggestions on what the judges are looking for for the leg action. Any help is appreciated. I'm gearing up for Congress and not much time left.

Tina Ferro

Hi guys, Diesel is a very neat pony! He has visited at my house and is a very gentle soul for being so imposing looking. If u look at the photos in my post of my mare Cat you will see Diesel in the background. He has his head way up like a giraffe, lol, he is too funny.

First the grey pony.  By the pictures you have posted up, he looks like a classic when he is set up, but the movement could go modern pleasure.  But you said the picture was taken while he was playing.  Most ponies trot higher while playing than when they are being worked down the rail.  As for the diference between classic or modern pleasure, I like to see more of a head set and movement on a modern pleasure than on a classic.  I like modern pleasures to trot level or a tick above with some extension.  A classic should be below level, less knee bend and with extension.  Both classics and modern pleasures line up the about the same and both work off the rail. Classics and modern pleasures are alowed tailers just as moderns are. Classics are alowed to be shod but can only have a light plate without pads, toe clips, side clips or heal caulks. Modern pleasures are alowed a light shoe of even weight, a light pad, toe clips and side clips.

So, what it all comes down to is, where do you want to show your pony?

Gary extreme movement is penalized in the Classic division. To me your guy is very much Modern Pleasure both in type and movement.

As muffntuff said Modern Pleasures DO NOT need to wear shoes and if you have never shown a pony I would skip the shoes. With Modern Pleasure you set up usually in the middle. Then one by one each pony works the rail. With Modern Pleasure you are allowed a tailer. I suggest you use one to get the pony to really move out. Then you go back to center and set up for halter again.

I agree on the tailer, especially since I am new to Morgan showing and a tailer would have really helped Weatherly get over the startle factor of photographers in the ring with cameras on a peg and the oh-so-scary judge (I was scared of him!).

Latest posts

Back